BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182030 - 10/16/13 06:43 AM LM Big Bang SE Review
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I had a chance to drill up a Lane Masters Big Bang SE, and try it on a few different lane conditions.

I usually get a first impression laying out and drilling a ball. For a ball with 3 different types of particle in the cover, the 1000 Abralon/factory polished surface was exceptionally smooth to the touch. There were no visible signs of any particle in the cover. I was concerned because I bought this ball for its "unique high friction surface". I emailed Lane Masters to ask what type of particles were in the cover. The response was that they could not divulge company secrets, but it was not diamond particle. Like lots of other manufacturer's balls, the CG was marked incorrectly. In this case, it was off by 3/8-inch, which is more than usual. I also noticed the ball was smaller than usual, based on how loosely it fit the Pro-Sect. In the meantime, I have not been able to find any video ball reviews for this ball. But, the one review by a Lane Masters staffer was less than glowing. I almost did not drill the ball, but curiosity got the better of me.

To test the ball, I compared it with my Storm IQ Tour (solid) and Motiv QZ2 Backdraft (hybrid), both polished, with the same layout (97-1/2 x 3-3/8 x 41). I left the LM Big Bang SE at its out-of-box polished surface. I was disappointed the Big Bang SE did not hook any more than either the IQ Tour or QZ2 Backdraft. However, because I could stand in the same place and roll over the same target with all 3 balls, I did get a good look at the hook shape.
IQ Tour - early, arcing, continuous
Big Bang SE - later, angular, hook and set
QZ2 Backdraft - somewhere in-between

I attribute the hook shape of the Big Bang SE to the core's giant flip block. Along with a predominantly pearl cover, it produces a true hockey stick ball reaction, not typical for a particle ball. One thing I liked about the ball was its coverstock pattern made it very easy to read where the ball was skidding, hooking, or rolling. Where the ball shined most was on a second/third shift house shot with lots of carrydown. It had little problem getting into a roll on the backend. For that reason, I plan to give the ball a shot in my bag, not as the originally anticipated heavy oil ball, but to provide a different look when other balls are not carrying. The ball it will replace is my QZ2 Backdraft, which has similar core specs, but a weaker cover that struggles a bit with carrydown. I have not been able to use that ball as much as I would like. I hope to get more use from the Big Bang SE.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#182032 - 10/16/13 08:15 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Wow, never thought I'd see this day.

The ball has a combination of carbon and silica particles. Probably an economic move from the older ball diamond dust particles. Being a 2-piece ball with the L/M usual hardness, you should have noticed it was more difficult to drill. It certainly will be to refinish or change the surface.

7 years of using these balls has eliminated the term "carry down" from my vocabulary. They didn't recognize it. but rather, the ball became stronger on used patterns, not erratic.

Interested to hear your assessment. A fellow bowler of mine has one and can't use it on a house shot. Saves it for Sport Shot use.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#182054 - 10/17/13 06:31 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
BOSStull Offline

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Found out on another site that the move from Diamond Dust was a rule in testing that forced L/M to quit using . If during the approval process the ball is placed on a spinner and if it scratches a curved glass plate designed for the test then the ball is not approved. So no more Diamond Particle balls.

#182092 - 10/20/13 08:46 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

My first chance to roll the Big Bang SE in league, I started off with the first 10. I faltered on number 11, and finished with a 287. The next game, I rolled a 259. What seems to be different about this ball is it had me moving deeper as the shot opened up instead of trying to work the ball and my target line to get it to finish through carrydown. The last game, I switched to a different ball, and was back to leaving lots of single pin spares, and only rolled a 205. Methinks the Big Bang SE is a keeper.

#182093 - 10/20/13 09:14 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
BOSStull Offline

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
I would think its a keeper. Good bowling Joe. So why the ball change?
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#182102 - 10/20/13 09:18 PM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: BOSStull]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: BOSStull
I would think its a keeper. Good bowling Joe. So why the ball change?

Thanks, Boss. Good question. The ball change was part curiosity to see if the scores were the result of the new ball or something with the lane condition. The other part was I had bumped in a few boards to where I would normally switch to a ball with an earlier, slower transitioning core anyway. With the Big Bang SE rolling later and more angular for me, once it started checking up early, I was afraid it would be difficult to control the breakpoint and I might leave some designer splits. In time, I hope to get a better idea over time of how much more/less hook it compares with my other equipment, so that when I make a change to or from it, I can get realigned more quickly than I did the third game.

#182110 - 10/21/13 10:36 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Online   jestera
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Nice bowling, Joe. Looks like it's a keeper, for sure.

I'm sure you'll find the 2-piece ball lasts longer then most with routine maintenance.

BTW, what was the flare on your ball? and how wide was the spread of rings?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#182118 - 10/21/13 01:41 PM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thanks, Dennis. I did not actually measure or count rings, but would estimate the track flare to be around 4-5 inches. I did notice when I was bowling the rings near the thumb had nice separation, around 1/2 to 3/4 inches apart.

I sure hope the ball lasts a long time, especially if it keeps putting 10 in the pit. smile

#182149 - 10/22/13 06:56 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

I had my first chance to try the Big Bang SE on Brunswick Pro Anvilane in my PBAX league on Viper. I tried a couple other balls first, rolling outside from different angles, and struggled with the wishy-washy results. So, I moved to a tighter, more direct line around 10 board. The Big Bang SE provided the desired straighter trajectory with enough pop on the backend to carry a 234 and 205 game, my best games of the night.

#182154 - 10/22/13 11:18 AM Re: LM Big Bang SE Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
j
sounds like the hockey stick shape is a nice look for you. But 130+ sums? is that how high you needed to go to get that amt of flare combined with pin to pap distance?

those are precise ratio numbers, I assume those were measured after drilling.

that would put your baseline sums higher than I would have thought. I know the sums are approximate but I know you must have a good reason in choosing those numbers for this ball.

how much smaller is the diameter of that ball?

rr
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/14/18 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.