BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18187 - 07/31/04 11:39 AM Hitting the wall
33brumichen Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 37/male/maryland
I need some motivation. I have a 215 average and I can`t seem to bowl a perfect game . when I get a chance I find a way to lose it. my physical game is petty good but my mental game seems like it needs some help. any suggestions are welcome! help

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18188 - 07/31/04 04:50 PM Re: Hitting the wall
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
33Brum
When ever I'm having a good game which lately is
not to often I just take one frame at a time in-
stead of projecting what that score is going to be. Most of the time that is what it takes.
Try it once, with a 215 average I would be willing to fight grizzlys once. bowling joel
strokers do it better with help thumbsup

#18189 - 07/31/04 10:01 PM Re: Hitting the wall
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
The mental game is the toughest hurdle, and the one that is probably never really mastered.

There are some great books available to assist with training the mind for mental toughness. We always seem to be our own worst enemy, and when under pressure it really shows up.

Here is the URL for Susie Minshews web site, she has a lot of articles posted there concerning mental toughness and our evil bowling twin...

http://www.strikeability.com

She is a super coach and well respected in the industry.

#18190 - 08/01/04 04:05 AM Re: Hitting the wall
kleichtm Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 20/male/columbus OH
my 2 cents would be to NOT look at the scoreboard... don't think about the score, think about every shot you made and what adjustments to make/ if any... at that average you can repeatetdly hit your mark time after time, so it's all about finding the right spot and then adjusting as you go... if you don't see the scoreboard, the fact that your only a couple strikes away won't hit you as hard (out of sight, somewhat out of mind) good luck with that! -kev

#18191 - 08/02/04 06:31 AM Re: Hitting the wall
Bojangles Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: M/SC
My $.02 too.... Maybe you're just plain thinking about it too much. The score I mean. Sounds to me like you've got the routine down pretty well. Letting tention build is the result of trying to make/force things to happen. You know the result of over thinking, or dwelling on a subject, be it bowling or how to overcome a problem at say work or home. Talking to yourself mentally will only cloud your mind as well as your game. Try taking a deep cleansing breath each time you step up the to approach, with the single thought "flow" not relax! The mere thought "relax" could cause a subliminal message to create tention. By the thought process of "flow" you are setting in motion that which you can do so well. Not dwelling on "stop-relax-go", but rather "breathe-flow-begin". By building this ease of self and finesse on each frame, your 300 game should soon follow. Good luck !!!
Bo.

#18192 - 08/02/04 04:45 PM Re: Hitting the wall
BowlerFreak Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 46,female - RH - Northern IL
I used to be a very tense bowler - so bad that it ruined my game. Over the years I have learned to calm myself (partly due to the fact that time has shown "there is always next week.")

I noticed that when I got really nervous it wasn't any fun to go up and bowl when it was my turn. I was almost dreading it. Now I tell myself, "You GET to go up and throw the ball now (instead of HAVING to throw the ball) so go up and enjoy the process - from push away to follow through." Every new frame is a new opportunity. thumbsup This mentality helps me stay aggressive through the shot as well, which tends to be difficult if I am too nervous.

I guess my point it this... I do not make my living bowling. It is supposed to be fun. Stop taking the fun out of it by trying to be so darn perfect! cool

#18193 - 08/07/04 10:57 PM Re: Hitting the wall
lanetamer Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 45/ m / pa
33Brum............ Took me 20 years to roll my 1st . My average when i did it? 215 ! My advice is the same as I give others: Keep your game simple. Remember you dont have to overpower that 1st shot in the 10th. Keep that elbow against your side. The little things that got you to that point will still work if you apply them. thumbsup

#18194 - 08/12/04 11:02 AM Re: Hitting the wall
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
bowlerfreak
I am the same as you used to be. I dread going up
and taking my turn as I last season had a bad time
keeping up my average. I was taking the game to
serious and now I see there is a way to stop this.
Thanks, all I have to do is think about the pre
shot routine which is good and treat each shot as
a new experience. bowling joel
strokers do it better with help. thumbsup

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.