BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181795 - 10/05/13 04:50 PM league prize fund suggestions
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
I've been charged with coming up with a proposed prize fund for our league of 5 man teams. This is my first time getting involved in league admin and I could use some suggestions.

thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#181825 - 10/07/13 01:47 PM Re: league prize fund suggestions [Re: TominNJ]
JW123 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 45/M/NJ
A couple things that need to be known first:

1) Was the league advertised as "$5,000 First Prize" or something along those lines? If so, you're going to be obligated to have that be first place prize money and can't mess with it.
2) Was there anything said at the meeting about individual awards, such as do you pay only high game, high series, and high average, or is it 1-2-3 in each category?

You didn't say how many teams there are, but I'll give my suggestion based on 14 teams.

Take the amount that each man contributed to the PRIZE FUND (not total dues) for the season, and make that the per-man return for 6th place (one spot above halfway; in a 20 team league, this amount should be for 9th place).

The per-bowler first place money should be very close to the total amount they paid in dues for the season, either a little over or a little under. If I'm paying $20 a week for 35 weeks ($700 total), I would never vote for a list with first place anything less than $650 a bowler, and if it were up to me to make the list, I'd have first be somewhere in the $725-750 range.

With a first place prize and a midpack prize figured as above, you can come up with a slope to fill in the rest of the slots. It's okay to have bigger steps at the top than at the bottom. (A lot of leagues go in $10 a man increments once you get to the lower third of the standings.)

Keep high game, high series, and high average awards the same as each other. (Don't make high average $100, high series $50 and high game $25.) Most Improved should be less than the big three awards.

HG: 279 santioned/300 unsanctioned
HS3: 671
HS4: 847

12-13 Averages:
177 full season league
171/175 (both halves short-season)

First "Triple Deucey" 3/28/2012: 226-212-202 for 640.

#181834 - 10/07/13 07:54 PM Re: league prize fund suggestions [Re: JW123]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
thanks for the reply. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about all of this. People keep whining about the decline of league bowling but refuse to acknowledge the financial abuse that is forced onto the weaker teams.

Weaker teams start out severely disadvantaged with the 80% handicap. It is nearly impossible to win consistently when the better bowlers have such a large statistical advantage. They are then also short changed with the prize money at the end of the season when the prize fund is top loaded.

It is no wonder they don't come back.

#181836 - 10/07/13 09:04 PM Re: league prize fund suggestions [Re: TominNJ]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
i think it depends on the competitive level of the league. if you want to get in a league where everyone gets the same prize at the end, then join a fun league. if you want to win something for your return for driving, paying league fees and feel great about being on top when it's over, then know the deal when you (as bowlers) enter a league. you should reward the top teams for the effort. if it is not competitive enough then change the handicapping for the 2nd half of the season if there is one. that way teams who come out on top the first half can't complain either.

just a few suggestions not knowing the situation but put it out there for the bowlers so they know next time what they might be getting into joining a league that is competitive.

rr
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#181841 - 10/08/13 09:14 AM Re: league prize fund suggestions [Re: TominNJ]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
What I used to do at the beginning of the year was figure out what the total prize fund money would be. Like this.

80 bowlers x 35 weeks x $10 a week

Then take off any payments to the Secretary\Treasurer and sanction fees if they come out of the prize fund.

You will have a large sum of money. Now, figure out what you want as far as money for high games\series. Are you going to pay more than 1 place?

1st HSG = $50
2nd HSG = $20

Team awards?

1st HSTG = $200
2nd HSTG = $80

Are you paying by half? If so, take the remaining $ amount, split it in 2. There is your prize fund for each half. Now, say you have 20 teams and the average is $400 (just throwing out numbers). 10th would be $410 and 11th would be $390. I like to bump each place evenly. Now, you can do bug jumps are little jumps depending on the league. In my example, I took $10 from 11th and gave it to 10th. Then there is a $20 difference in payouts.

Now, this is VERY basic. You can also pay per point. You would still figure out the payouts for games\series but then you would take the remaining money and divide it by the total amount of points possible (not points won). Say it's $4 a point. You get 88 points for the quarter, you get $352 dollars.

Either way, if after all is said and done, the $ figures are low for some teams, then move money around. Either from the game\series or a few bucks moving around from team to team.

(edit) If you are paying out based on place and not per point, then I would give them 2 choices. 1 with a more even distribution. The other top heavy. Then have a league vote from the captains only.

Edited by General Pounder (10/08/13 09:17 AM)

#181850 - 10/08/13 07:07 PM Re: league prize fund suggestions [Re: TominNJ]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I would assume a couple other league members are making prize lists, too, so the league has a few to vote on. Hopefully, your league secretary gave you a figure for a total prize fund to work with. You shouldn't have to figure this out. And unless there is something in the by laws that state a minimum first prize or a ban on individual prizes, the distribution is up to you. Divide the prize fund by the number of teams, and this should be roughly what the team that finishes right in the middle receives. Work up and down from there. A couple of things to consider- the longer you wait to vote on the prize list, the more likely a list that pays more to the bottom half of the league will be voted in. Teams get an idea of where they're going to finish by about 8-10 weeks in, so paying the top 1/3 well will likely not get voted in.

Bowl up a Storm!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.