BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182148 - 10/22/13 06:46 AM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
RayRay, I standardized my layout a while back. When I want a different ball reaction, I change balls. So, my IQ Tour Edition (solid) is setup the same as my other equipment, Pin 3-3/8 from PAP x Pin 6-3/4 from center of thumbhole. In dual angle terms, that translates to 97-1/2 degrees Drilling Angle, 3-3/8 Pin to PAP, 41 degrees Angle to VAL.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#182151 - 10/22/13 10:22 AM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
A video for y'all. Seems off-topic and for the most part it IS, but there's a nice bit about COR (something we talked about in a previous thread) and more importantly, WHAT'S THAT ON THE RACK AT 1:08??? smile

I picked up Goldie yesterday and got a chance to roll some frames with it last night after league. Because it seems to overlap with a lot of my other equipment, I just gave it to my Pro Shop operator and asked him to use his judgement and lay it out however he likes. He felt my arsenal was lacking much in the way of longer pin-to-pap layouts so he went that way (I'll have to get the dual-angle measurements from him). What I know so far is, I THINK it's 5 1/4 pin-to-pap, no balance hole.

I also picked up my Bandit last night, which gave me another ball with a substantially similar cover to compare with. Roto calls the coverstock "Inception" but in my opinion it's R2S all day... I wonder how many people wishing for a new Reign slept on this ball? By the way we were going for 50x3 3/8x35 to complement the Berserk... I think he dropped it down slightly to avoid partially drilling the pin but it's close... no hole as yet.

Anyways, the IQ. So far, I LOVE it. The things that hit me right away were the clean cover which allowed me to play fairly far right if I wanted (same goes for the Bandit), the SOUND of the strikes (LOUD!) and the free-revving nature of the C3 Centripetal core. It just makes the ball super-fun to throw, I had a bunch of shots where the ball worked through the pocket and just ran over the 8 pin (not ideal ball path, but fun to watch!!!). The ball made me feel more like a power-player than a low-end tweener. Where the ball really differed from the Bandit was when I tried to move inside. For the IQ it was no problem generating plenty of angle, but the Bandit with it's higher RG core tends to lope, which when played inside translated to "labor". Both balls have a spot in my arsenal... the Bandit seems to hold it's line a little better when played along the oil line (that "lope" again) while the IQ Tour Pearl is more versatile, and for me a little bit more fun to roll.

#182167 - 10/22/13 05:41 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
joe,

so all your balls are drilled with the same drill val and 3-3/8 in pin to pap? I had thought about approaching things the same way but have yet to identify my sweet spots like you. I think my benchmark sums are around 85. your ratio of sums is about 2.38 to 1 (rounded).

were these close to your calculated benchmark sums or did you have to tweak them?

rr

#182176 - 10/22/13 08:40 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
joe,

so all your balls are drilled with the same drill val and 3-3/8 in pin to pap? I had thought about approaching things the same way but have yet to identify my sweet spots like you. I think my benchmark sums are around 85. your ratio of sums is about 2.38 to 1 (rounded).

were these close to your calculated benchmark sums or did you have to tweak them?

rr

All of my equipment except for my spare ball is drilled the same. After years of experimenting, I now only use Dual Angle as a coordinate system. Understanding that the distance from Pin to PAP (leverage) and from Pin to center of thumbhole (differential) are what's most important in determining a drilled ball's reaction, I set myself free from all of that other "stuff" when I standardized on the strongest layout possible (without a balance hole). If I want a different ball reaction, I start with a ball that has different core/cover specs, or add a balance hole, or adjust the surface.

But, if somebody was looking for a place to start with layouts, I would recommend my Universal Benchmark Layout.
http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthr...html#Post179550

#182254 - 10/25/13 08:28 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

Got some practice in with the IQTP today. Video shows a bunch of shots with that ball plus a few shots with my Storm Reign Supreme (MOtion Hole, polished) and Roto Grip Bandit, 1500/polished. Fresh Great Wall.

#182260 - 10/26/13 10:41 AM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Nice, Rick. Lots of strikes from different angles with the IQ Tour Pearl. I wonder what difference you might have seen with the IQ Tour Edition (solid).

#182262 - 10/26/13 12:24 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Nice, Rick. Lots of strikes from different angles with the IQ Tour Pearl. I wonder what difference you might have seen with the IQ Tour Edition (solid).

I have to assume it would be smoother, like the Reign Supreme shots were but more so. I have to admit that the fresh THS I was bowling on was a "cake wall", pretty sure my practice session with all three balls was close to 250 average with a 279 high game (stupid ringing ten). Not trying to brag AT ALL, just saying that if you knew where to stand and target you were rewarded for pretty much anything close, and carry was quite good too. As a pattern got more and more challenging I'd be much more likely to opt for something more like the original IQ Tour.

#182626 - 11/08/13 04:16 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

Btw, was that an original RotoGrip Cell Nucleus core I saw on the other ball on that page? A MicroBite HyperCell? Hmmm...(thoughts racing)...

Here ya go, Joe. http://www.rotogrip.com/balls/hyper-cell

#182627 - 11/08/13 04:26 PM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: 56bird]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: RickSchott

Btw, was that an original RotoGrip Cell Nucleus core I saw on the other ball on that page? A MicroBite HyperCell? Hmmm...(thoughts racing)...

Here ya go, Joe. http://www.rotogrip.com/balls/hyper-cell

O M G. I think I just heard angels singing. angel

Attachments
HyperCell.jpg

#182630 - 11/09/13 12:30 AM Re: IQ Tour Edition [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
wow, is it possible i may get a taste of the old cells?? what would be the best layout for myself (i'm not going to hold anyone to this btw) to get the strongest layout for the ball. my specs are below but do not have rev rate. i think a little speed dominant. how is the finish on these too oob?
i did re-measure my pap and it is the same over but 3/8ths inch up now when i measured it this time.
i'd just like to get the ball set up to cover the most boards possible and adjust the surface from there to change the length.

thanks guys,

rr

Edited by rrb6699 (RayRay) (11/09/13 12:33 AM)
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.