BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18160 - 07/29/04 11:57 AM Lane usage and hook
Reido Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49 / M / York, PA
Hi All:

I bowl at a house in York, PA that had synthetic lanes installed back in November of last year. I started bowling there in March of this year and seem to have more trouble scoring on 3 pairs of lanes. These lanes are in the middle of the house, right by the counter and are used very little by leagues and open play for some reason.

One the other lanes I'm averaging around 190 or so. On these pairs 15-16, 17-18, 19-20, (32 lane house) I and other people as well, have a hard time getting the ball to hook. Could it be that since these lanes are used little that the lanes haven't developed a track area yet or is it possible the house management has the oil pattern set up on these lanes differently?

I want to get onto these lanes to practice, especially before the sport shot tournament in September to help me with my accuracy. These lanes are extremely tight and could be the next best thing to a sport shot in that house.

I'm sure none of you have bowled here, but any ideas from the group on how to really check this out would be appreciated.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18161 - 07/29/04 12:48 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
There could be a few reasons why those pairs appear more difficult, or oilier to you.

The oil machine, may not be run differently over them, but maybe run twice without anyone knowing it. If the house refills the machine 1/2 way through oiling, that maybe the case too. Have you bowled on every pair? Are 1,2 and 3,4 oilier? If so, could be because the machine is full and its gravity fed. Therefore when it is at its fullest, it will tend to put down a heavier shot. That depends on the type of machine.

Could just be that those pairs are different. I see this in nearly every house I have bowled regularly in. There are always characteristics to certain lanes and pairs. Not so much with synthetics, but definately with wood. In the house I currently bowl in (32 synthetics) all the right lanes hook slightly more then the left lane, except lane pair 23, 24. Could be that the lane beds in that area prior to getting the synthetics was more worn, needed more repair before putting the synthetics on and therefore the workmanship is extra good leading to very level synthetics in that part of the house.

But when it all comes down to it.....it doesn't really matter why those lanes appear oilier, you still have to play them. So try to get practise time on them to learn how to slow down your ball speed (allowing more hook) or targeting closer (allowing more hook) or putting more forward roll on the ball (allowing earlier hook). It may even be as easy as using heavier hooking equipment to start with on those lanes. Good luck,

Erin

#18162 - 07/29/04 02:33 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Erin, I have a similar situation but with wood
lanes. On wednsday evening I bowl at a house with
38 lanes and all of the lanes are different. We
have been guessing that the maintance guy is not
aware of how to use the new machine. It is a phoniex (have you heard of this type of machine).
The only lanes that I play good is 15-16 the rest
I have problems. I am a stroker and use a mojo by
track. I use the second arrow as target and stand on board 20. I try to hit the 6 board and sometimes do very well. any advice for me.
strokers do it better with help. bowling joel

#18163 - 07/29/04 10:27 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Like Erin said it could be a million and one reasons...

My first curiosity is, where is the front door, where are they in relation to the A/C ducts, and what is your humidity in that area.

If each time the front doors open, a fresh batch of hot, humid air rushes in, those lanes will attract it if they are in close proximity with the door. The coolness of the lane will condense a microscopic layer of water on top of the oil and it will remain slick longer than the other lanes.

If there is an A/C duct blowing on those lanes it will change the viscosity of the oil.

If those lanes are used less than the others, then oil is not moved around by balls rolling down them, so you don't have pattern breakdown or dragout.

If the lane machine cleaning tanks need changed by the time they get to those lanes, cleaning oiling and buffing will be different.

There are just so many reasons for lanes to differ, that it is impossible to guess without investigating personally...

#18164 - 07/29/04 11:59 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

coach 04
seeingstars the door is in line with alleys
23-24 and we have 18 teams. Those alleys are used
but not by us. There is a mixed league on our lanes before we start. Our practice starts at 7:30
pm for 10 or 15 minutes depending on the counter
as to when they turn on the lights. They have the
ceiling fans going during fall and winter just as
all leagues do, I believe. It is still my theory
that the lanes are being oiled different. Some get more some get less. We do have about 8 215
average bowlers. bowling joel
strokers do it better with help.

#18165 - 07/30/04 02:24 AM Re: Lane usage and hook
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

<< I use the second arrow as target and stand on board 20. I try to hit the 6 board and sometimes do very well. any advice for me.>>

Joel, the main problem I'm seeing from your post is that you have a set board to stand at and set board to target at. This philosophy is limiting you in adjusting to the various lanes.

I've bowled on wood lanes, where the left lane was 9 boards oilier then the right lane.

You never know what conditions you will see when you walk into the alley. You cannot EVER assume that you will get a particular shot. Best thing is to start at your "comfort shot". If that's 20 aiming 6 so be it. If the ball goes high, then you know you need to move towards the inside. If the ball, hits the pocket and deflects to the right of the pin rack, leaving the deck to the right of the 5 pin position, then its too dry and the ball is rolling out, losing energy....move inside. Watch how your ball is falling off the back of the pin deck. Move no more then 2 boards with your feet, two boards with your target (in the same direction) at a time, and make the same acessments. If you throw your comfort shot and it goes low, leaving a bucket, more your feet right (outside) and possibly your target right too. Make the same accessments. Start keeping in mind what moves, bring you back into the vacinity, aka pocket.

Treat each lane as an individual. Especially on wood lanes.

Once you get to the pocket....leaving a 10 pin (right hander) for example...you are still a bit low, move feet 1/2 board right (on wood), OR 2 inches back on the approach. Just the first two solutions in my book.

If you are in play....and doing well, but leave a 4 pin or a 7 pin, that's your warning that you and probably coming in a bit too high, and need to consider moving inside. One board with your feet, one board with your target. If that's not enough....do it again. You will find what ratio works for you through trial and error. Big thing is to recognize that a 4 pin is sending you a message. Its telling you...."move!, or I'm going to give you a big split next time you are over here". If the lanes are fairly close to each other (not 9 boards different) then they will usually break down at the same rate...so you'll need to consider moving on the other lane too. Watch your opposition! Is everyone coming in high? Maybe you should move before you come in high too. Communicate with your teammates. "I think I need to move a bit inside, what do you think?"

Its a very rare night indeed where I don't need to adjust my shot a board, 1/2 board, or even two, three boards. On our old wood lanes you could count on at least a 7 board move throughout the night. And in the third game...you needed to move one board each frame. So each time you got to the left lane...move! That type of thing. Maybe I'll change balls too if I'm not liking the reaction I'm getting.

On top of all this...you need to keep in mind if there are any quirks to each individual lane. Like for example....lane 4's 20 board dot on the approach is a board to the left of the 20 board middle arrow mark on the lane. Psst....here's another thing to tuck in your hat....all the approaches are NOT the same length, nor are the dots the same distance from the foul line. There's a range of measurements that are allowable. You get into a strange house and you need to be able to take in these things with your first walk to the foul line.

It may also surprise you to find out that some houses, especially older wood ones, are made up of lanes taken from various other houses that have gone defunct. So of course the lanes will not be the same from pair to pair.

Back to your standing 20 aiming 6. That's a 14 board difference. Keep that number in mind. If you are totally lost, put it in action. That's your most comfortable swing path, don't alter it. If totally lost, stand 25 and aim 11. See where that puts your ball.

Sorry for the rambling.

Erin

#18166 - 07/30/04 02:35 AM Re: Lane usage and hook
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Hi coach04,

<<If the lane machine cleaning tanks need changed by the time they get to those lanes, cleaning oiling and buffing will be different.

There are just so many reasons for lanes to differ, that it is impossible to guess without investigating personally... >>

What frustrates me the most, is when you ask the lane guy how he's oiling...and he goes "I dunno, I just set it down and hit the button". You ask the desk person and get a similar response. You ask the manager and get a similar response.

YOu ask the lane guy, "did you change types of oil?". He replies "I dunno, I just put what was there in the machine". You ask..."did the machine run out of oil 1/2 way through the lanes, or was it not full when you started?" and he replies...I dunno, someone told me just to oil the lanes.

So considering that the management may not know how to put out a consistent shot, the desk person doesn't know what's going on. The lane guy may not even speak English......it all boils down to PLAYING WHAT THE LANES GIVE YOU.

This is why "players" look at what they are leaving as signals, giving them clues, as to if and where they are going to move next frame. I see a lot of people that bring in 4 or even 6 balls into league, but force one ball (not counting a spare ball) into trying to do the work. Even if you have to use a different ball for each lane...you do what you have to do. And it still may not work, depending on the night.

Erin

#18167 - 07/30/04 02:36 AM Re: Lane usage and hook
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Well the Brunswick Phoenix isn't as low as you can go on the lane conditionig food chain, but it isn't very high up. It is an old style wick oiler, that really is at the mercy of god and gravity for applying oil....

However, the odds of it consistantly making those lanes oilier, and never effecting any other lane, are astronomically against it... Random errors made by the machine would be evenly distributed throughout the house. Unless there is a key event that occurs at the same time, every time it is run, and the timing of that event coincides with it reaching those lanes.

#18168 - 07/30/04 02:17 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
Reido Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49 / M / York, PA
Here's more info.......

I bowled in league last night on lanes 29 & 30, toward the right end of the house, and had an 884 for 4 games. The night before I was down on one of the "bad" lanes and couldn't get the ball to hook to save my life.

The doors to the center are directly behind these lanes and that angle is interesting to ponder. Any past success on the lanes has been to slow my ball waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down and try to get the ball up to the head pin or throw the "rocket to the pocket" from the corner. When I can, I'm going to try to get on those pairs to really work on my accuracy and try to find the "recipe" for scoring on the conditions on those 3 pairs.

Thanks to all for your input on this so far. As I get more info I'll post more.

#18169 - 07/30/04 03:40 PM Re: Lane usage and hook
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

Bowlingjoel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Where is every one?
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 06:09 PM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:49 PM
Motiv Venom Shock Pearl
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:51 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - Yesterday at 09:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 01/17/18 07:59 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dual Angle Layouts
by Dennis Michael - 01/10/18 10:26 AM
Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Fused Video Ball Review
by mmalsed - 01/08/18 11:41 AM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 01/07/18 08:56 PM
Good advice from my brother!
by Dylan585 - 01/05/18 04:13 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by 6_ball_man - 01/01/18 09:11 AM
Have a happy and safe Holiday
by goobee - 01/01/18 02:34 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.