BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186405 - 04/01/14 11:36 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Nice payday, Fin!

I was looking at the results from a nearby PBA Regional event this past weekend. The field included 128 of the area's best bowlers, a non-member entry fee of $285, and top prize of $2,600. Those numbers just don't make sense to me...a 1 in 128 chance of winning less than 10 times your entry fee? There is a better risk/reward ratio playing the lottery once it's over 25 million dollars.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186441 - 04/02/14 10:54 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks Joe- figuring a few things out that work for me, and I'm getting really comfortable with the tri-grip, now that I have a half dozen or so balls drilled that way.

The regional program seems to be losing its relevance, other than giving some touring pros some venues to make money while the national tour is on hiatus. Without the exempt tour keeping bowlers away from the national stops, any member can bowl the WSOB and the majors, as well as anything else they can afford to put on. Host centers used to arrange sponsorship of the regional events, and add money to the prize funds. I don't think that's happening much anymore, and there are far fewer regionals being held every year, especially in the South. Centers lose potential revenue when the PBA is in town, as they make more on the birthday parties and open bowling that happens while the regional is taking place. There used to be one just about every weekend, and I don't think they are having anything more than maybe 1 a month. There are more PBA50 regional events now than regular stops. Maybe in a couple of years, when I hit 50, I might hit a few of them if they come close to here. But even then, I'll be bowling against Duke, WRW, and a lot of today's PBA50 rookies, so it's not like its' easy pickings out there either.

Bowl up a Storm!

#186448 - 04/02/14 01:52 PM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dwight Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 42/M/Iowa
I recently bowled my second and third tournaments since returning to bowling. The first one was an eight game sweeper on a house shot. There were nearly 50 entries. I averaged 204 and wasn't even close to earning any money.

The second tournament was bowl six games, cut the field, bowl three more, step ladder for the top five. This one was on the USBC doubles and singles pattern. There were 38 entries. I averaged 199 for the first six games and made the cut, then averaged 220 for the last three, finishing in sixth place. I missed the step ladder by 14 pins. The guy who won the tournament has two eagles and averaged 226 for the day. I cashed in enough to break even in the two tournaments, including my lunch expenses.

Between leagues and tournaments its becoming clear that I much prefer to bowl on sport conditions. Sure its nice to throw a lot of strikes without thinking too much, but its not enough to keep my mind engaged. I always saw bowling as a thinking man's game, and on modern house conditions, it seems to be more of a wrestler's game. Just my thoughts. I'm glad I live in an area that has several sport leagues to offer, and a handful of bowlers with national level success to drive these leagues.

Current Average: 207 (ths), 189 (sport)
Throwing: Hyper Cell, Hy-Road, IQ Tour Pearl, White Dot

#186453 - 04/02/14 03:39 PM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
The last few tournaments I've bowled on house (or Kegel Recreational) patterns have taken averages close to, or over, 240 to get anywhere. I have a first and 2 3rds in those. The last sport shot tournament I bowled I finished 8th, getting the last cash spot, and averaged about 195. The sport pattern is obviously the greater challenge, but since the scoring pace is so different, the challenge is just a different one. Shoot 180 out of the gate in a house shot event, and you might as well pack up and go home. Do that in a sport shot tournament, and you can make it up in one game. Limit your bad shots in either, and you can compete.
You don't get to throw as many bad shots in a carry contest if you want to make any money.

Bowl up a Storm!

#186501 - 04/04/14 05:58 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Last week's league scores of 275, 227, 205, for a 707 series were only good for $11.90 this week on VirtualTournaments.com. It's kinda funny being my lowest payout to date, but it still beats not cashing at all. There's still a couple weeks left in the league season. I am just hoping the bowling center puts back the same shot there was a few weeks ago, instead of the shorter, flatter, and drier pattern they switched to after my 300 game.

#186586 - 04/07/14 12:03 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

One of the local sport tournament organizations had their final tournament of the season. It was deemed the Tournament of Champions, and was open to all former champions. I was eligible from having won the first tournament of the season on Beaten Path. The format for the ToC was 6 games qualifying on the 43-foot Dead Man's Curve pattern on wood lanes.

In warm-up, with some of the aggressive equipment I have been accumulating, I had the idea I could carve open the outer boards. It might have worked, but the slightest miss inside sent the ball through the nose. And, with moving after each game, I would have had to start over again on the next pair. So, I abandoned the idea of carving an outside shot.

For the first 3 games, I tried a few different lines and balls, but the most positive results came from moving my downlane target in from 1 board to 3 board to 5 board. By the start of the 4th game, I was standing 30, targeting 12.5 at the arrows, out to 7 at 40 feet. That's fairly deep and tight for a lefty stroker. But, that eliminated much of the hang built into the Dead Man's Curve pattern. My Byte at 1200 CAMI polished was the right ball for the job, turning the corner late and hard giving me all the entry angle I needed to carry.

Overall, it was a low scoring event. I won one high game pot with a 215. And, my -40 for 6 games was enough to qualify in 4th place. I won my first match in the finals, then lost the second, finishing 3rd overall. There were no brackets to enter, but it was still a nice payday, and a boost to be able to hold my own on a tough pattern against so many other champions.

#186659 - 04/09/14 11:09 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
I will be in Oveido, FL on April 27th for "The Gauntlet" scratch tournament. it's 6 games across 6 Sport patterns to qualify.

I know some on this gforum may be able to make this event. i'm up to the challenge 130s or 260s!

it should be interesting to see the high qualifying score for this event and what it takes to cash in this "thing".

I attached a poor photo of the flyer but it's readable. nope cant attach it from my android.

hope to see some of you there!.

btw. I have no affiliation with the event...just want to make some $.

rr
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#186757 - 04/12/14 09:10 AM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Good luck, RayRay! Sounds like a fun challenge.

Why enter brackets when you bowl a tournament? Sometimes, you may not cash in the main event, but it's possible to make more money than the winner in brackets. Case in point, my last week's league scores of 266, 241, 202, for a 709 series, were not enough to place in the main tournament on VirtualTournaments.com. But, I still got back $45.90 in bracket money, not more than the winner, but enough to get back my entry fee and enter the next tournament. Total winnings on VT.com are now over $700.

#187392 - 05/18/14 06:00 PM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Bowled doubles & singles in the state tournament today. Tried to get in for the 9AM squad but it was full so had to wait until noon. Worked out well for my partner and me as we had a chance to have some breakfast, watch some of the early squad action, and get our equipment ready to go.

In doubles I had 238, 174, and 246 for 658. Was able to use my Radical Reax Pearl with the big daddy dual angle layout to give me strong and continuous motion, and boy did that make a difference. Left only 3 single pins the first game, two 7s and a stone 9, which I converted. Second game I ran into carry issues but kept it clean until the 10th when I had a greek church and completely whiffed at the spare attempt. Actually started out badly in the 3rd game with a bad adjustment off the greek church shot, leaving the 1,3,7,9,10. Threw the spare at the 1,3 hoping to get out of it with a 9 but instead carried the spare and was able to get a six-pack later in the game to finish with the 246. 29/30 clean frames helped as well. My T-Zone arrived yesterday, just in time for me to use in this tournament. So glad I finally bought a spare ball.

Singles is where I really shined, bowling games of 223, 280, and 216 for a 719. The 280 and 719 are my all time high game and series respectively. For the singles I was actually on a pair with 2 other lefties, one of them being my friend/partner from doubles and another guy who is a NEBA titlist bowling at his home house. They were playing around 3rd arrow trying to bank it off the dry while I found success playing near to the gutter. Found tons of friction out there and some hold and only had to make a few minor adjustments in the 3rd game. The second game I started with a strike, then went a little high and left a 6-10, then finished it off with 10 in a row (also a personal best for me).

Third game started leaving single pins and had to make a few adjustments. The pro also started playing closer to where I was playing (a wise move which resulted in him getting the front 7). I moved in a little and had a few sets of doubles and was able to make all my spares to keep me above 210. Unfortunately missed a 7 pin in game 1 that prevented me from having 30 clean.

Overall, really happy with how I bowled, 229.5 average for the 6 games. Most likely won't cash in doubles but I expect to receive money in singles. Unfortunately we weren't able to get a team together so no all-events. Based on scores through last Sunday I would be tied for 49th in scratch singles and sit at 24th in handicap singles. This is the last weekend of the tournament so hoping for little to no deviation from these results.

#187451 - 05/25/14 08:12 PM Re: Tournaments 2013-2014 [Re: Joe Bowler]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Bowled in another tournament today, this time being the NAT series that Richie and I have bowled in and posted about in this thread previously. It was at a center I never bowled at before but it was one that had Brunswick synthetics which I had been bowling better on in the last month or so (including the state tournament last weekend). Actually traveled to it with two other lefties from my center, but we split up and ended up on three separate pairs.

Started practice and was finding that I was getting little backend reaction. Turns out this house uses Brunswick Pro Lane whereas I had bowled on Brunswick Anvilane last weekend. Not sure if that was the issue or if it was the oil pattern they put down, or both. Was using my most aggressive ball as well (Reax Pearl).

In any event, was able to bowl games of 221, 205, and 202 in qualifying. Had to stand left and roll a relative straight ball, pointing at the pocket while relying on accuracy and only a few boards of hook. Did manage a late 4-bagger in the first game for the 221 (with only one open), then had 7 straight spares to start out the second game. Converted a bucket, a 1,3,6,7 washout, and even a 4,7,10 split during that stretch. Had a late turkey to break 200.

Third game I started with a 4-bagger but then left a nasty 6-8 split in the 5th, and went for just 1 pin. Struck in frame 6 but somehow managed to leave the exact same 6-8 split in frame 7. However, I was confident enough with my spare shooting that I could aim for the right side of the 6 pin and actually was able to slide it into the 8 for the conversion. However, somehow managed to miss a 7 pin in the very next frame, but kept it clean with a strike in the 9th and 9/8 to finish up with a 628. With my handicap I managed to make the cut to move onto match play.

I bowled in the morning so had to wait until the afternoon squad was completed before match play. Was able to have some lunch and watch my friends who struggled in the early squad and re-entered, but tiredness kicked in and when I got to match play I did really badly. Had an early double but ended up missing 4 very makeable spares, including 3 single pins. Shot a very disappointing 162, and was knocked out in the round of 16.

Glad I was at least able to cash and continue my recent success, especially on a tighter lane condition. However, gotta really get a better night's sleep before the next one of these. Staying up until 1AM watching P-League on youtube the night before a tournament ain't helping my game. That said, I may take the rest of the summer off from tournament bowling.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.