BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180790 - 09/02/13 06:16 PM Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power?
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Ok so I have both of these drilled pin up withe the cg kicked to the right. Leagues are starting and am looking to get 1 more to fill my arsenal. Which is a better benchmark ball? I don't mind changing the surface on either one. I only bowl on THS conditions so I don't need a really heavy oil ball like a Sync, Marvel S etc.. Don't mind getting a new skid/flip ball from ANY manufacturer like a First Blood, Track 503A..etc..which is. A better benchmark ball and what would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#180791 - 09/02/13 08:13 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
I tend to gravitate to hybrids in that general price range/performance category as benchmark status gear.

That being said, a lot of people are using solids for benchmark stuff these days and I think one could do a lot worse than the ROP. IMO the most important thing about a benchmark is that you have a step up, and a step down (at least).

#180793 - 09/02/13 09:27 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I shined my Reign of Power and hit it with a really light 4000 pad, and it's a great benchmark. The 1000 surface is just too much for me on a THS. I'm getting a lot of use out of mine, and have shot some big scores with it.

Bowl up a Storm!

#180794 - 09/02/13 09:49 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with the others, Reign of Power is the way to go.

The ball is very even and easy to read and that is one of the biggest factors in how I choose a benchmark ball. I want to use something that is going to tell me exactly what I can expect that night and for me the Reign of Power does exactly that.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#180799 - 09/03/13 12:21 AM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Thanks for all the replies guys! I agree that 1000 OOB for the RoP is a lil too much for a THS condition so I'll try smoothing it out to 4000 and use it as my benchmark. Then when in transition I could switch to my Frantic which would have more backend. Now I'd like to get q more ball maybe something a bit more stronger /aggressive than the Frantic and the Reign of Power. With so many balls out, I know brand seems to be based on personal reference, can anyone recommend a good ball to fill my arsenal?

#180800 - 09/03/13 05:21 AM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
If you don't want one of the "oilers", I'd have to say Marvel Pearl.

#180806 - 09/03/13 10:38 AM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
An interjection...

For a league bowler, a benchmark ball should give you your favorite ball reaction, on your most comfortable part of the lane, on the shot you see most often at your house. It should be the ball you go to knowing you will probably find what you want, but if you don't, it is something you can quickly read to see something different you need to try.

In my opinion, its not simply a middle of the road ball, with a middle of the road reaction. Yes you should have something weaker, and something stronger, but your benchmark should be your "war horse"...something you almost always use and almost always succeed with.

A benchmark has to fit your game and be the measuring device you use to judge the important factors.

#180819 - 09/03/13 02:27 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Iíve lost track of Storm equipment so I canít speak to the differences. A benchmark ball to me is one Iím very familiar with and can count on to start with on the typical conditions I encounter. I suspect you wonít know for sure which one is the benchmark ball until youíve put some mileage on them. If youíre looking for a good medium to dry ball or something to go to after the lanes breakdown I highly recommend the Hammer Spike. Itís supposed to be the go to after the First Blood. Iím finding it handles a fresh medium very well and when the lanes start breaking down a little move inside is all thatís needed. I have a feeling that ball will become my benchmark ball at the drier house this year.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#180820 - 09/03/13 02:58 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: NaSTI]
mail777 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/turkey
Arson low flare also a kind of benchmark ball.

#180821 - 09/03/13 03:39 PM Re: Benchmark - Frantic or Reign of Power? [Re: champ]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Originally Posted By: champ
An interjection...

For a league bowler, a benchmark ball should give you your favorite ball reaction, on your most comfortable part of the lane, on the shot you see most often at your house. It should be the ball you go to knowing you will probably find what you want, but if you don't, it is something you can quickly read to see something different you need to try.

In my opinion, its not simply a middle of the road ball, with a middle of the road reaction. Yes you should have something weaker, and something stronger, but your benchmark should be your "war horse"...something you almost always use and almost always succeed with.

A benchmark has to fit your game and be the measuring device you use to judge the important factors.

I second this. Looking at my equipment, for most people, the Hy-Road would be their benchmark. For me, it's my HEAT Hybrid. Why? Cause on a THS, it does exactly what I want, I read it the best on a THS, and I use it the most. My wrist is actually feeling a lot better this year. And with that, I am finding that last week, I used my HEAT Solid more. That may end up being my benchmark shortly. I want to get a few more weeks under my belt before I decide to use a different ball from the start though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.