BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178939 - 06/10/13 06:29 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Since last week's lanes were so flippin dry, I had the guy in the pro-shop polish up my IQTP a bit so it would get down the lane just a touch better.

Of course, what did this mean? The lanes had at least a normal amount of oil on them. LOL - prep for one and you'll get the other.

No big - use practice to find the line - still with the Butterscotch Bomber - it's well to the right, but entry is nice.

First game is clean - 237. Didn't miss a 10 pin (four of them).
Second game is clean again - 244. 9/ in the 5th, 7/ in the 9th, and 8/ in the 10th - picked them all up. Very happy.

But it's been a week - we've had three family members pass away in 9 days - and now I'm just wiped. I need cake! LOL

Third game was ugly - 162. Missed a 6-10, and two 10's. Went home and fell over.

Lesson - cake, plus ibuprofen. . . LOL

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#178947 - 06/11/13 06:21 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I'll skip the cake, but make it a double on the ibuprofen. Second week on "Viper", and nothing above 180. This week played nothing like last week. There was a dripping wet out-of-bounds 7 and out, for both lefties and righties. How are you supposed to target your breakpoint in the middle of a skid zone? I left my most aggressive equipment home. You shouldn't need it on Viper. I had higher hopes for this bowling center. Why? Why? Why?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#178952 - 06/11/13 09:06 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
I think if there is a downside to being in a sport league, it's the notion that the centers aren't a lot more adept at putting the patterns down than some of us are at playing them. It makes it a little bit hard-to-know whether the issue is the condition or the bowler, but Viper should hook from outside, regardless.

The most frustrating part of playing Shark for me, was the lack of "feedback" from the lanes. Usually on a THS, within a few shots I can "sense" what the lane wants from me in terms of equipment and line choices. Shark would give you one shot, ten in the pit... then you'd think you repeated that shot and either flag the head pin or thru the nose. Tells me that I was playing where the pattern was very FLAT but the trouble was, the place where there was a little bit of area was so far left on the lane and way outside my current comfort zone.

Chameleon played true to what I expected, only confusing in that there were different choices how to play it. They substituted Broadway for Cheetah, my only comment was that Broadway played a little tighter than I'd expected but other than that, straight forward.

Thanks to your post Joe, I'll have just a touch more agita about starting on Viper tomorrow night smile

#178955 - 06/11/13 10:31 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
I agree. The sport league i am in seems to be either using MINIMAL required units or oil, or they are not stripping before the application of the shot. today they have a practice session for Chameleon tomorrow nite. Thus far, every sport shot put down had no gutter (cheetah, viper and now Chameleon). to me they all put down reverse block because that was the characteristic except the heads were very dry and then there was oil on the gutters. even way down the lane at the 50' plus mark.

any ideas if i'm close on this or they just do not know how to do the sport shots?
R/R
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#178956 - 06/11/13 11:00 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline

Fortunately, one of my teammates I have bowled leagues and tournaments with, and we both know each other's game fairly well, even though he is a righty power player and I am a lefty stroker. It works out great when we need a reality check. Unfortunately for both of us, he struggled worse than I did last night.

This summer league, we are both paying more attention to breakpoints and watched each other's ball reaction depending where it rolled relative to the downlane markers. After 4 games it was clear. 7 board and out was a washout or worse. 8 board had a good chance of hitting high unless everything was just right. Playing deeper and the ball would hook a few feet in front of the headpin. Playing outside with a weak piece, and it would squirt past the breakpoint.

I think if I brought my stronger equipment (2 Cruel 1000 dull and/or Raptor Talon 500 dull), I would have been able to play straight up the oil outside, using it for hold. My lessons learned for the night are 1) to bring all my equipment and 2) do a better job managing my disbelief. In short, the shot is what it is no matter what I think it should be, how it played last week, or the bowling center's reputation.

#178963 - 06/11/13 08:39 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

ok, i did the practice session today and did fairly well. I used a weak wrist and kept it quiet. i will post a video of a couple of shots i made. one with my Track10 Urethane and one with my Quantum reactive. You cant hear it too good, but, i stood at 15 and threw 10 with the Track10 urethane and stood 20 and threw 7 (hit 8 most of the time) with my Quantum with success on the Chameleon. I had a choice of shots but settled on these for each ball and had good carry.

I only have one reactive piece at this point and that is the Quantum. I'm looking at the ball list you gave me and watched a couple of SK8's vids also. I may have enough cash to pick up a ball soon. Not sure what to decide on for the next ball yet.

I may try to make my way to bowlingball.com's lanes there in Ormond Beach, FL and try to throw some of their demo balls. i never did this before so, i dont know what or how those balls are set up. i know they would have to put block fingers in them so i could hold on to them. As a customer they said they would watch me using my own equipment then we can get my rev rate, pap, etc... i may just get a medium-heavy cover set up to rev so i can change speed or hand position to cover different conditions until i can get another ball.

can you or anyone tell me what to ask before i do this?
also look for my videos in the videos section of the board and give me some feedback.

R/R
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#178969 - 06/11/13 10:04 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline

With help from Blueprint, I figured out exactly what happened in the PBA Experience league, whether the bowling center is willing to admit it or not. They put down the Shark pattern instead of Viper. How can I be sure? Take a look at these simulated screenshots on Shark using a Track 300C, equivalent of my Ascent Pearl. Targeting straight up 6-7 hits the pins at board 12 (washout). Moving inside just 1 board, targeting straight up 7-8 hits the pins at board 20 (high hit). That is exactly what we were seeing, but none of us expected they switched the pattern on us. Argh! Case closed. Next week...Scorpion...well, maybe.

Attachments
7 Board Washout.jpg

8 Board High Hit.jpg

#178973 - 06/11/13 10:59 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

gawd. that is similar to what i think happened in our sport league. every week so far it has been soaked on the gutters and dry in the middle. i thought some of these patterns played similar to house shots but not here. anyway, it confirms what i thought and now you are sure what happened in your league too.

we are at week 6 tomorrow (Wed nite) and this is the last Chameleon. this league is not using the newer patterns. teh last 2 weeks will be the US Open pattern and the last week we vote on what pattern we want. should be interesting.

R/R
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#178982 - 06/12/13 08:43 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
gawd. that is similar to what i think happened in our sport league. every week so far it has been soaked on the gutters and dry in the middle. i thought some of these patterns played similar to house shots but not here. anyway, it confirms what i thought and now you are sure what happened in your league too.

A few years ago, I bowled at a different house in their supposed PBA Experience league. Week after week, it was the same soaked gutters, dry middle. I averaged 170-180. The president of the league, who was over 70 years old, rolled a straight ball up 15 board on every pattern, and was high average in the league (190s). I was na´ve to think that was the way the patterns were supposed to play. It is not. The different PBA shots should be challenging, but playable, and only a few have a distinct out-of-bounds.

#178983 - 06/12/13 09:36 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
They put down the Shark pattern instead of Viper.

That makes sense to me. I'd almost believe Scorpion too but Shark makes sense. Like I said before, Viper should hook from the outside, no matter what.

Always have a "in case of extremes, break glass" ball on the oiler side and on the dry side just in case.

Page 7 of 20 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 12/22/20 06:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.