BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 14 of 20 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179620 - 07/17/13 10:24 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

It was another of "those nights," as my shoulder turn may have been worse, causing me to miss as bad as you'll ever see me miss. On the bright side, I did correct it in time to have a clean 192, and I only missed two of 11 single pins (both 10s).

Result: 144-169-192=505
Average (27 games): 180
Average for last 9 games: 175
Next week's AVG+1 score: 547

It's tough to win when not one, but two, opponents shoot 700 at you even with negative handicap, and the only game that was even moderately close was the third.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179622 - 07/17/13 10:44 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
hey don't feel bad. my week started off a bit shakey too. we SUPPOSEDLY were on US Open tonite, but, i think the lane guys were out back laughing their asses off at us because it seemed like it was a short Cheetah pattern. Honestly, my only double of the nite was two brooklyn strikes. i had a clean 195 game to give you an idea of how this Petersen Classic-like lane conditions were and my 735 4 game was league high by one pin over the Pro Shop guy. my last game was 200 even and it felt like a 300. i know the lane guys were f-ing with us big time. no other explanation for every ball coming up high like that. i dont have many balls to switch to but my lesson learned is to bring urethane everywhere i go from now on. i'm going to be tweaking the reactions of my old urethane stuff with weight holes once i get the thumb holes fixed with the proper pitches. well could have dropped my avg one pin tonite. my bad. will not be caught off guard again!
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#179655 - 07/18/13 10:42 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
219+162+224=605 for me tonight. The goal tonight was to right the ship after two sub-par outings in league last week and the tournament on Sunday. Our opponents all prebowled as did one of my teammates so it was just my other teammate and I on the pair tonight. Ultimately I think the quicker pace helped me more than it hurt me. Did struggle to find the pocket however in the first half of game 1. Lanes were really hooking and I came in high each of the first 5 frames. Left a 2 pin in frame 1 and in the following 4 frames left either the 4,7 or 6,10. Fortunately I kept it clean and was able to find my line for a 4-bagger and ended with a clean frame in the 10th for the 219.

Second game I struggled and couldn't really find the pocket. Did manage a mid game double but 3 open frames hurt me. Had a 7,8, double wood, and a bucket that I failed to convert. Should have been able to pick up one of those at least.

3rd game I started with a double, 9/, and another double and kept it clean the rest of the way for the 224. Would be nice to have a series where all 3 games are over 200, haven't had that yet but overall I'm pleased with a 600 series tonight, especially since I had to make a few different adjustments to stay in the pocket and I had been struggling when I've been forced to play outside my comfort zone.

#179679 - 07/20/13 06:29 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
My scores for the second week on Chameleon were downright embarrassing. I didn't even break 700 for 4 games, making it my worst series of the PBAX season. It did not help that I was without my eyeglasses, that one lane hooked 4 boards more than the other (typical end pair), the fan was not working on a 90+ degree day, and I was the only one pre-bowling. But, the real problem was inconsistency in my release.

I have come to realize that my attempt at developing a more dynamic release using the flexible Storm Gadget wrist brace over the past couple years, has provided me with a few extra revs and a few moments of glory, but overall my average is down. My release inconsistency is much more evident on the PBAX patterns. The proof for me is switching to my spare ball for strikes and being able to consistently hit the same mark on the lanes and target at the pins (just skids, no carry). That suggests the ball path is fine, it is what I am doing with my wrist, hand, and fingers that is not the same each shot.

One solution would be to practice an hour or more a day to improve the consistency of my release. Maybe someday I will have time for that, but not with my current work schedule. So, instead I plan to start using a rigid wrist brace again, not so much to keep my wrist from opening, but more to keep me from cupping the ball. I still have a Pro Release, but it always had some play in it. So, I am thinking of experimenting with a carpal tunnel wrist brace since they are very good at locking the wrist in an open position.

I am encouraged watching Norm Duke win the PBA Summer King of Swing tournament rolling up the back of the ball on the 52-foot Badger oil pattern. When asked by Randy Pederson how he was able to play so much further right than the other players he said, "Well obviously, I was using a lot less rev rate. So many of the guys are power players. Although I have a little bit of power, the strength in my game is that I can keep it online, and keep the revolutions consistent." That's the key.

When I return from vacation, we will have our first week on Badger. By then, I will have new eyeglasses and a new wrist brace. I am hoping to be able to say along with Duke, straighter is greater.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#179690 - 07/20/13 10:43 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Well heck. Went to buy my ball at the Pro Shop... they were out of the Storm Sync, which is the ball I think I am going with. So ordered for next week.

But got in my first 3 games of practice with my old balls (save the puns) smile since the fall league ended almost three months ago. Without a doubt, my longest spell without ANY bowling in maybe twenty years.

It went allright. 205/222/221 for a 648 series practicing league style..(two lanes) I was staying down, my pace for the most part was relaxed... even made four out of five 7 pins, which is generally the shakiest part of my game when I haven't played much. Seems like some of the bad habits I was fighting in April were not nearly as prevalent today.

CHEERS TO THE FORUM! smile
Vic

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#179742 - 07/23/13 11:11 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/OH
Whew, I tried out a new, more advanced targeting system and it got me better results this time. I finally bowled above my average for the first time in five weeks; I think I was suffering from some kind of slump. I made an adjustment towards the end of the first game or during the second game and I managed to make my spares better. I only struck twice during the entire night but that doesn't matter as I was able to get my overall spare percentage up to almost 40% during the series; my makeable spare percentage is a little over 40% from those three games alone.

This was what tonight brought me as it unfolded. I wish I had recorded my scores on Intermediate mode the last few weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take photographs of the scoreboards, so I was unable to give a more complete picture of my statistics. Last week I converted a 5-10 split for the first time in any sanctioned or unsanctioned league, the second time in my life and it saved me from a sub-90 game. Unfortunately, last week was also my worst series of the season...if you want to see my less impressive weeks, you can refer to this link for more information.

But today was my [first step to] recovery from this terrible slump. After what I think were several weeks of some frustration (due to me not knowing what I was doing and being kind of stubborn), possible embarrassment (as it looked as if I didn't know what I was doing), and making my parents wonder why I was bowling as poorly as I did, I think it's safe to say I'm back on track. Tonight put into a new perspective everything that had been going on most of the summer and made me realize: slumps happen. There will be periods of several weeks where I'll be on fire and periods of several weeks where I'm unable to fill more than two to three frames per game to save my life. I feel like my confidence in my bowling skills has finally been [at least partially] restored.

#179767 - 07/24/13 10:14 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

I maybe have a bit of a stubborn streak and, while I'm good at moving when I'm supposed to, I tend to be more stubborn with my ball selection. Tonight, I likely could have avoided a 112 first game, my worst league game in a long time, by balling up to my Fast sooner, though I likely should have actually started with it tonight, as the other two games were more like me.

Result: 112-203-169=484
Average (30 games): 178
Average for last 9 games: 170
Next week's AVG+1 score: 540

Team lost all eight yet again, to a low average team this time. The last game was on me, because I could have won the game if I had the second strike in the 10th, but I let my arm swing get away and left another washout (I think I had a couple of those early on).
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#179797 - 07/25/13 09:14 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
i had an down up down night but great practice spare shooting. started out with a 189 then 235 and then 169 on the US Open shot. again in this house any of the patterns used have a 5 and out no throw zone. it IS oiled all the way down the gutter and has been the entire time in this sport league.

this makes the patterns even more challenging. you cannot play outside of 9 board (let's call it 10) because you have the ridge of oil sitting there and the slightest mistake you pay for in the 3-6 pocket or worse.

the wrong ball choice (i only have 3 and a spare ball that maybe i should have used all night) still working on equipment... anyway. i switched balls 2nd game and found a sliver of a shot shooting 15->12 (that is slide foot -> ball at arrows). btw the lefties have not had a shot there in 3 weeks. anyway, i started stuffing the pocket because the Execution was perfect for the entire game and it was all i could do to hold that shot.... until the last game when it went away.

I could not get the ball to delay and did a couple moves that proved unsuccessful. so I tried more speed and the ball just was too aggressive for the lanes at that point. i did not have a weaker ball to throw down that shot and keep it.

i felt like i figured the lanes out even though the last game was not indicative of this. the more i moved left the drier the heads were and the break point still remained constant. i was a spare shooter the whole game until the last ball when i just really zinged one to see if i could do it and it held.

we did win 6 of 8 points and the league voted in Viper for the last week of league. I had high set of the league (2nd high now) on viper. someone shot higher on Shark. in fact a lot of guys did best on shark in that league. Not sure why they voted in Viper.

Well, the 6 points we won put us exactly 8 points into first place (maintained it). so, last week position round for the big money all we need is to win one game and the league.

btw. my partner and i won the doubles sweeper last weekend. i did not make it to the other tournaments. however, that choice to bowl there proved to be a good one.

good luck to all.

rayray
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#179798 - 07/25/13 10:43 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
215+190+202=607 for me tonight. Overall pretty happy with my effort, stayed somewhat consistent for all 3 games. First game was similar to last week, couldn't strike until the 6th frame but did manage to get a turkey and cover all my spares. Second game I started leaving splits and had a few opens, recovered with a double and then a turkey later on, but chopped out the 2 on a 2,4 leave in the 10th to cost myself a 200 game. Third game I struggled on the left lane but managed to strike every frame on the right lane. Did manage to get 1 somewhat lucky left lane strike so did have a turkey which made up for a couple of opens and allowed me to get the 202 to finish. Needed 4 more pins to get my average back to 200. I plan on getting there next week though.

#179818 - 07/27/13 10:53 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
165-202-212-579 Wednesday night- first sub-600 series on a THS since October, which is about 70 or so in a row, and the first one in this center in over a calendar year. End pair, got some open play before we shot on it, and after just a couple of frames, a really hard wet-dry started to form, and never opened back up. Very unusual for that to happen here.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 14 of 20 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 12/22/20 06:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.