BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 20 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179362 - 06/26/13 11:38 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
My one and only night on Scorpion for the summer league was... interesting. I think I went 139, 224, 189, 180.

The lanes faked me out (again), I got lined up nicely in practice but by the third frame of the 1st game that shot was GONE and I lacked the courage to read the changes and move. Finally did so, and had pretty good success for a while rolling my pin-down Mission at 500/2000, fairly straight down 13.... out to 10 maybe?

The last game the lanes again got TIGHTER, I tried to slow my ball speed down to help the ball face up but this kind of throws me off my game- another thing I need to practice.

According to the sheet, 186.8 for 40 games <shrug>. Not what I'd hoped for but there was a lot of room for it to be worse smile I'll be stronger next summer.

Edited by RickSchott (06/26/13 11:40 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179376 - 06/27/13 04:17 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: 56bird]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: RickSchott
According to the sheet, 186.8 for 40 games <shrug>. Not what I'd hoped for but there was a lot of room for it to be worse smile I'll be stronger next summer.

You did great for your first PBAX league. Your finishing average would put you in the top third in my summer league. And, we still have Badger, Bear, and Wolf to go. Unfortunately, I can't even find a pattern graph to help get ready. Hopefully, you don't have to wait till next summer to get more practice on the patterns. I am using the summer league to help get ready for the winter league when the big bangers return. There was one team last year with PBAX averages 208, 210, and 222.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#179377 - 06/27/13 11:50 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
211+248+164=623 for me tonight. Really happy with the first two games. First game I actually didn't string together a lot of strikes (had 5 total, two pairs of double strikes and the 5th one came in the 11th) but I converted all of my spares. Had been struggling especially with 7 pins and made every single one I left tonight (I think it was 5 total). Second game I was also clean but had a mid-game six pack to get to the 248.

I lost my line though late in the second game after the six pack and couldn't really ever get back to the pocket. Tried moving in, tried making a few ball changes, but nothing really worked. Had a lefty bowling on the pair tonight so I had more transition to manage than usual, and just couldn't figure it out tonight. Did get a mid-game double (which was really lucky, both times the ball barely made it to the pocket but somehow managed to carry), but a few washouts and a missed 6 pin on the final frame gave me my lowest score of the summer.

Still a lot of positives to take away though. Over 600 again and overall much better spare shooting than previous weeks. Get next week off due to the 4th but after that look forward to the rest of the summer. I'll be bowling in my first tourney next month as well.

#179378 - 06/28/13 07:39 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler

You did great for your first PBAX league. Your finishing average would put you in the top third in my summer league. And, we still have Badger, Bear, and Wolf to go.

Thanks Joe. "Yikes" on the new patterns... we didn't get a shot at those. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on them. Watching Badger what little bit I have, the shot looks weird. Guys standing way left (righties), but just "rolling" the ball with very little hook. Like they were sneaking into the pocket but how do they carry so well like that????

My regular season league will be in a different (more local) house but I understand the proprietor at the house I bowled in this summer will put out sport shots for guys to practice on at least one night a week. This might cost me some sleep smile

#179385 - 06/28/13 08:12 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/OH
Wow...I am so far behind updating this.

So, as you will probably be able to see, I am "plateauing" right now; I seemed to be plateauing as well last year. This was my second week, my third week, and my fourth week (last Tuesday), all right there.

I'm not the happiest camper.

#179391 - 06/29/13 08:28 AM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline

I returned to bowl the Friday night tournament for the third time after adjusting the surface on all my equipment. I started with my QZ2 Backdraft sanded 2000 dull. I had never rolled it without polish before, so I was curious what it would do. It was very aggressive in practice and the beginning of the first game. Then, it started to mellow a bit, and I had to keep tightening up my line. That was not what I was hoping for, but typical since it was straight off the bench, without any practice games in between.

The first game, I had to strike out to finish with a 202. That was way off the scoring pace, but the QZ2 surface seemed to stabilize, and I liked the look I had with it. After switching pairs the next three games, I banged out scores of 247, 246, and 279 (7 pin). The last game was big enough to win the high game pot and take over the top qualifying spot.

The stepladder finals proceeded slowly, and I had to wait an hour for the final match. Being Friday night, the bowling center started filling with open bowlers, drinking, and loud music. I think "Light 'Em Up" was playing on the loud speaker when I finally got to bowl. Unfortunately, I did not [light 'em up]. I had lost my momentum, and finished in the 220's, just a few pins short of 1st place. Still, a great night of bowling, and my best finish so far in the summer Friday night tournament series.

#179396 - 06/29/13 12:10 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
congrats on the finish! It could have gone either way for you! I practice sometimes during extreme bowling with a lot of loud music and carrying on going on around me. if someone walks up on my taking a shot, (as long as they don't come over in my lane) I proceed with my shot and make sure I maintain focus. sometimes there would be 2 or three up there carrying on while I am in mid approach. So, it is dark with loud music and a lot of partying going on. I find it is a great way to practice for just the situation you mentioned. of course there is no way to practice for the loss in rhythm by waiting an hour.

some tournaments that i have top qualified for had a practice pair running while you wait. I found that if i just take a shot every 5 minutes or so i dont lose as much as if i were just sitting and waiting. that is the hardest thing to recover from as your thumb size could change and you could lose focus.

they didnt have a practice set up for the top qualifier? i would think that would be part of what you earn as top qualifier. at least 2nd place gets a game in before they bowl you.
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#179404 - 06/29/13 03:27 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
they didnt have a practice set up for the top qualifier? i would think that would be part of what you earn as top qualifier.

Thanks, RayRay. They did have a practice pair. I probably should have rolled a few more practice balls than I did the game before the final match. It was just a long day, a long drive, and a long wait. Next time, I might do better with ear plugs and a nap instead. smile

#179425 - 06/30/13 06:28 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline

Da Bear. That's the next oil pattern in my summer PBAX league. I had my first chance to practice on it this weekend. I brought 8 balls with me, but was lucky to find a good reaction pretty quickly with my Motiv 2 Cruel sanded 400 dull, playing 10 at the arrows to 8-9 at the downlane markers.

Execution is still critical on this 40-foot, flat 1:1 ratio, US Open-like pattern, but I was happy that when I rolled a good shot, and hit my targets, it was a strike. Scores were low, but felt well earned with games of 188, 196, and 208.

Tomorrow, my team bowls for real against the bowling center manager's team, and I will be matched up against the top lefty in the league. They were already there practicing when I arrived today. Their other bowler is coming off having high set on the Scorpion pattern last week. Hehe, should be a fun challenge.

#179426 - 06/30/13 07:39 PM Re: 2013 summer league thread [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
We have our first week of Shark this week. Any suggestions? Good luck on the Bear. We'll be 'watching' ya.

R/R

Page 11 of 20 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 20 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.