BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177465 - 03/25/13 10:39 AM IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it?
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 24/m/NJ
I am inquiring to see if anyone has experience getting a ball drilled from a IBPSIA Certified tech. The reason I am asking is that I do not have a ball that property fits me. My thumb has always been bruised up a bit. I thought originally it was because I was gripping the ball (it would make sense since I have a relatively low backswing). I have done all I can to relax my thumb in the ball, yet I am still getting bruising and calluses on my thumb.

I have gone to two different pro shops, each have not solved the issue. The problem is, the closest IBPSIA Certified tech is almost an hour away from my location. I need to know if it's worth the hour drive to get him to take a look and solve the problem. The bruising doesn't hurt, but it's a good indicator that I am not getting a proper fit.

12-13 Season:
Avg: 208 (Took a 6 month layoff to finish school only bowling half the season)
Series: 698

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic
15 lb Virtual Gravity Nano
15 lb Columbia 300 White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#177466 - 03/25/13 11:12 AM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
My ball driller is IBPSIA certified, and he does a great job. He has about 30 years' experience, and was an engineering major in college, so he knows his stuff. If you can find someone with this certification, give him/her a shot. I would have to think that this certification does not guarantee you a perfect fit, but if you're not happy with your current situation, I would imagine the hour drive would probably be worth it.

Bowl up a Storm!

#177475 - 03/25/13 01:06 PM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
If the guy is good, the hour drive is definitely worth it. But I don't think a certificate necessarily means he's any good. It all comes down to craftsmen, not salesmen. If you find a guy who knows what he''s doing, takes pride in his work, and goes out of his way to make sure you get what you want, you've found a winner.

Ask around about the guy's reputation. Ask several people as there will surely be a couple he hate him and a couple who love him. Get several opinions and form an idea.

Bottom line is a good fit is worth it.

#177482 - 03/25/13 02:22 PM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
usr bin geek Offline

A/S/L: 37/m/Burlington, VT
IBPSIA Certified techs take in-depth professional training and they'll have to pass testing to get the certification. In addition to learning how to properly fit and drill, it shows the tech has a strong commitment to learning a lot of the psychics, science and art behind that. They also learn how to analyze bowlers' physical games and match and customize equipment to it.

All of this cannot be learned just through self observation or experience.

Personally, I just can't take anyone who calls themselves a driller, seriously if they can't be bothered to get IBPSIA certified. They have nothing to lose and only knowledge to gain.

So in my opinion it's definitely worth an hour drive, even more! smile
Founder

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board.

Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

#177486 - 03/25/13 02:54 PM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
If I did not already drill my own equipment, all other things being equal, I would consider certification a plus, and would not think twice about driving an hour to get my equipment properly fitted and drilled.

But personally, I would give greater weight to fitting/drilling experience and reputation. Any twit (and I know a few) can sit through a few hours of classes and earn a certification, and still know next to nothing about bowling or drilling.

If you think back just a few years to stretched spans, reverse pitches on thumbs, etc., what everybody would have learned in such a certification class would be considered wrong today. We can be thankful for those who trusted their self experience and observation over the conventional wisdom of the time, or we would not have the explosion of bowling knowledge that we have today.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#177512 - 03/26/13 12:54 AM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 24/m/NJ
I am probably going to use the tech for my next ball. I appreciate everyone's comments, I read somewhere that Mo Pinel recommends the guy I'd be going to. Mo's name carries a lot of weight with me and he wouldn't be putting his reputation on the line if he wasn't good at his craft.

12-13 Season:
Avg: 208 (Took a 6 month layoff to finish school only bowling half the season)
Series: 698

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic
15 lb Virtual Gravity Nano
15 lb Columbia 300 White Dot

#177649 - 03/28/13 09:37 PM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: usr bin geek]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
IBPSIA Certified techs take in-depth professional training and they'll have to pass testing to get the certification. In addition to learning how to properly fit and drill, it shows the tech has a strong commitment to learning a lot of the psychics, science and art behind that. They also learn how to analyze bowlers' physical games and match and customize equipment to it.

All of this cannot be learned just through self observation or experience.

Personally, I just can't take anyone who calls themselves a driller, seriously if they can't be bothered to get IBPSIA certified. They have nothing to lose and only knowledge to gain.

So in my opinion it's definitely worth an hour drive, even more! smile

I couldn't say it better myself. I would have to drive an hour to get a non IBPSIA tech to drill a ball for me, and farther for one that is certified. If I was able to bowl I would fly out to either Bill Hall or Joe Slowinski and have them fit me, it is that important, if you want to bowl your best that is.

#179998 - 08/06/13 12:48 PM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
RMColorado Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: United States
kosh525

I have experiences with 2 local IBPSIA drillers. In short, the certification means nothing to me, and no bowler I know has ever made a comment one way or the other. I rate the certification as meaningless because of an old thumb issue but also because both drillers continue to spurn any new concepts such as those advanced many coaches and ball manufacturers. Just because IBPSIA members claim to have up to date knowledge doesn't mean they actually practice it.

You are on the right track by following Mo Pinel's advice, and I hope you read the forums found on BowlingChat.com. But be aware that there are a lot of "old school" folks who just won't accept changes in bowling's "new" concepts and advancements in fact, there are many who resent these changes and blame them for "what's wrong with bowling" (such as the drop in participation and loss of rubber ball simplicity).

Various thumb issues are shared by many, many bowlers it's a broad and often complex topic that ought to have its own main heading on any truly authoritative site. Unfortunately, insights are scattered and time consuming to find.

My thumb issue was resolved through an admitted "stroke of luck" by an unaffiliated driller who moved my thumb hole 3/4" sideways. This ended over two years (!) of ongoing "skin problems" and increasingly aggravating confusion. Getting my balls re-drilled was like the break of dawn, in that they finally started reacting "correctly" and I was able to better understand and make adjustments accordingly. This was about a year ago and reignited my then dwindling enthusiasm. Unfortunately, this same driller doesn't quite understand the value of PAP placement, thinks 6-sided refinishing is a total waste of time, and is unsure how to find a ball's true CG.

I wish you luck and perseverance in finding the solutions you're looking for. Don't forget that you often have to be informed enough to ask the right question before you get the correct answer.

Mark Twain: "The difference between the right word [concept] and the wrong word can be the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

#180026 - 08/08/13 08:49 AM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Once I found a driller who could give me what I wanted, I drove to his place over and over - an hour each way. Well worth it. Over a year's time, he drilled probably 10 or 12 balls for me.

As to IBPSIA certified or not, the question is - does the guy give you the results you need at a price you can afford? You can only answer that by having him drill one up.

For me, the trip was worth it because I bowled a few games there and shopped at garage sales before and thrift stores after and made it a whole-day trip.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#180027 - 08/08/13 09:01 AM Re: IBPSIA Certified Tech worth it? [Re: kosh525]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
If an IBPSIA certification was just for the driller, I wouldn't object. But, most around here are also the Pro Shop proprietor, and they have a tendency to push the balls that they get the best promotion or profit from, whether it fits me or not.

I sometimes have to argue that I want a different ball, and that's not right.

I appreciate their work as a driller. But, when it is coupled with profits, it loses something. All too often, the sign is on the door, but the driller is a trainee, while the trained is in front selling.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.