BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179759 - 07/24/13 12:01 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: mmalsed]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bought a ball, and couldn't decide which of 2 drillings I should use. Flipped a coin, literally, to decide. Then, I found another bowler who had the same ball, but a weird drilling that he didn't like. So, I bought it from him for $30, had it plugged and redrilled with the other drilling I wanted.

I now have 2 identical balls with different drillings, and different reactions for each. Each has its purpose.

Wasn't afraid of a used ball. In fact, my last 300 was with a used Demo ball (Black Panther) I bought for $50 from my Pro Shop.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179760 - 07/24/13 12:36 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
johnnxiv Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 23/m/San Jose
Is there any good online shop for used bowling balls?

I look on Ebay, there r tons, but I dont know about the quality

#179762 - 07/24/13 02:09 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: johnnxiv
Is there any good online shop for used bowling balls?

I look on Ebay, there r tons, but I dont know about the quality

You already have identified the problem of on-line bowling ball purchasing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#179774 - 07/25/13 01:57 AM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
its hit or miss. Either way you go, online purchases of bowling ball is at your own risk.

Erin

#179782 - 07/25/13 09:01 AM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
If you know what you want and ball meets your criteria go for it. If you are a beginner a Pro Shop may serve you better. They will match a ball up to you.

I would say if your trying to keep cost down try to buy a used ball but don't just buy any ball? Make sure it meets your criteria.

For me I look for the correct weight, drilling layout, and span. I do not buy a ball if it is already plugged or the bridge is crack. If the span is not listed email the seller and ask for span. I like the cut to cut measurements then I will know if all I need to do is change and drill the thumb slug. I Prefer a ball that has the finger inserts. Ask for additional pictures usually the seller will send them to you.

I have bought a few L/M balls on EBAY and only needed to plug and drill only one because I was given the wrong span info. My Hornet($40) and Terminator Resurrection ($60) were EBAY used balls. Both feel a need and were good buys.

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#179787 - 07/25/13 03:02 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
There's more to bowling ball fit then span. So beware that just because the span is the same as yours, the pitches might be very different and cause fit issues. Thumb pitch is especially important. It can make all the different in whether you can roll the ball properly or drop it ineffectively every time.

Erin

#179792 - 07/25/13 05:19 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: Atochabsh]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
There's more to bowling ball fit then span. So beware that just because the span is the same as yours, the pitches might be very different and cause fit issues. Thumb pitch is especially important. It can make all the different in whether you can roll the ball properly or drop it ineffectively every time.

Erin
That is why we have PRO SHOPS. In no way would I buy a used ball and use it without first having my Pro Shop match my measurements he has on file including my thumb pitch. The correct span can save you money not having to plug the ball. That is why it was part of my criteria when buying a used ball.

As I mentioned before if you are a beginner a Pro Shop would be a better choice. I only bought used balls after I already had new balls drilled and was familiar with my specs and layouts.

Edited by BOSStull (07/25/13 06:01 PM)

https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#179822 - 07/27/13 08:17 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
johnnxiv Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 23/m/San Jose
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/USED-14LB-15OZ-STORM-LUCID-BOWLING-BALL-/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/$T2eC16J,!wsE9suw)ypCBR6yJ4QCC!~~60_57.JPG

How can I know if this ball has a good layout or not?

#179824 - 07/27/13 09:52 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
John... IMO, depends on what you want from the ball. Are you bowling occasionally, weekly in a league.. competitively? Depending on what you want, there is nothing wrong buying a used ball, per se. However, there is a buyer beware on the condition. If you are wanting to do anything close to weekly with it, I probably would avoid the used balls myself. Even if it means going with something "lower performance" but new. And, as others have posted.. if you are using it more recreationally, I would have it drilled to the pitch and exact specs you need.

Good luck!

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#179850 - 07/29/13 06:00 PM Re: Should I buy used bowling ball? [Re: johnnxiv]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: johnnxiv
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/USED-14LB-15OZ-STORM-LUCID-BOWLING-BALL-/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/$T2eC16J,!wsE9suw)ypCBR6yJ4QCC!~~60_57.JPG
How can I know if this ball has a good layout or not?

Layouts are generally done on a per bowler basis based on their tilt, rotation, speed, revs, and the surface they will be bowling on, what layout works for one bowler may not work well for another.

There are layouts that are more universal in the fact that they will flare and generally not go over any holes on the ball. They however aren't optimized for a specific bowler, it's just safe. For your sub 190 bowler a safe layout is probably just as good as anything else.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.