BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179363 - 06/26/13 11:56 PM We need more short leagues
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I am now convinced that to help bowling prosper we need to embrace shorter leagues using summer leagues as an example.

Summer leagues are fun. No one is stressing where they are in the standings or how many points they took tonight. People are looking forward to the new ball they get at the end of the season, or the chance to try their hand at a challenging pattern for s short period. People feel relieved to be out from under the burden of the 36 week league, and into the relaxing atmosphere of a short, non-competitive league. Most summer leagues leave the music on (around here) and people like it. As a result of all of the above people are having more fun, smiling more, bowling better, AND are using the short season as an opportunity to introduce noobs to the game.

Your average isn't where you want it to be? No worries, a fresh slate is right around the corner.

Looking for a new challenge or setting? No worries, more options are right around the corner.

Want to take a short break? No worries, this season is almost over, and if you sit out a season, you're only missing a couple months.

From this day forward I'm going to be a vocal proponent for the 12 week league. I think their becoming commonplace among 36 week leagues is the best way for bowling to thrive especially if there are a variety of different types of leagues.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179364 - 06/27/13 01:47 AM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
well, a lot of that has to do with the non pressure of setting a summer average (it doesn't count). But more and more tournaments are counting the summer average.

Many of our leagues in Sept. break at Christmas, they end. They have roll offs, they pay out. Then they start again after January 1st. that splits the season in half.

But still most fall leagues are for the entire winter season.

I think the lack of pressure is due to setting average, not length of league.

Erin

#179366 - 06/27/13 06:30 AM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
I like the short league format. Our league has a fall and spring league each (18 weeks) and then a shorter summer (12 weeks). Our center has the traditional fall winter leagues but there are a lot more short leagues that target certain groups of bowlers all year around.

As for the average for the summer league it does count towards your USBC composite average if the league is sanctioned.

Edited by BOSStull (06/27/13 06:33 AM)

#179406 - 06/29/13 05:02 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
BOSStull Offline

How about this for a short league 8 weeks. I went to practice Monday after work and was asked by a new employee was I here for the start of the Lousy Bowler League? Did I look that bad? LOL

#179407 - 06/29/13 09:05 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

another issue is the center. They want a signed contract for the league to be in there as long as possible. They don't want to sign a contract for 8 weeks. Because then what are they going to do with the rest of the weeks?

Erin

#179410 - 06/29/13 10:06 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I really don't see much value in short leagues, unless it is a really small league. I'd much prefer to bowl every team in the league and most twice.

There is too much at stake to miss on a bad night. You go into the hole and never dig yourself out.

Our short leagues are for gimmicks or practice leagues. Gimmicks like beer and Pizza leagues. No prize fund, but a pitcher and a pizza per team.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#179416 - 06/30/13 07:11 AM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
BOSStull Offline

That 8 week short league is a Brunswick sponsored league, 8 weeks for 8 bucks. Our Brunswick center sponsor's the gimmick leagues you are talking about Dennis.

#179419 - 06/30/13 12:29 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

its USBCs 8 for 8 leagues. They are designed for beginning bowlers.

Erin

#179439 - 07/01/13 02:30 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I like to bowl year round, so there would not be much advantage to bowling a short season league. On the plus side, it is always fun to start a new league season, and there is the opportunity to bowl with new people. On the minus side, starting and stopping has the potential to lose more bowlers than are gained in the shuffle, and would likely require more administrative overhead for the leagues and the bowling center.

For competitive bowlers, I would rather see sweeps or bracket "leagues" (more like tournaments, but held every week at the same bowling center) with singles and doubles formats, scratch and handicap divisions, with optional high game/series, brackets, survival boards, etc., where bowlers can enter and compete as often as they please, and all the prizes are paid at the end of the night.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#179479 - 07/05/13 09:03 PM Re: We need more short leagues [Re: champ]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Keep your 35 or 40 week season, fine, but offering a shorter league might entice any prospective newbies to give league a go...Maybe??? People have many other options out there, without having to commit to almost a full year of bowling..

Our problem here is that leagues are getting smaller, and we are not getting any new leagues beginning.. All our leagues have been going for years now, but are slowly getting smaller.. It's rather scary actually! Management will not risk changing existing leagues around, as their admin time goes up arranging new teams/partners and losing bowlers during the crossover between one league ending and the next shorter one beginning.

Bowling here is seen as a recreational and expensive activity, very little more than that sadly frown

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.