BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179263 - 06/23/13 11:47 PM I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today!
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
Hi all,

I dont have the cash yet to bowl with SK8 in the regional, so, I have to start somewhere and work up.

So, Last week i hear of this 4-game scratch tournament local to me. It really was just a sweeper as it turned out. Anyway, This was my first competition after 10 years.

Ok, so I go in expecting to see house bowlers and a low turnout. Well, turnout was not huge, but, it looked like the USBC Championships in practice. There were 19mph 500 rev rate crankers and all kinds of what looked like elite bowlers taking up about 16 lanes of bowling after the final count was made. This was a 4-game event. No step-ladders just roll your score and take your money.

So, since the turnout was not huge the top prize was 250.00 with only 3 places paid, I'm thinking I could have been doing something else and not wasting an entry fee of 20.00 against a bunch of good bowlers.

Anyway, when this thing started i post a 226 my first game. I look around expecting to see all 260s down the road, but, i only see one! several 240's and 230's. Hey, I'm still in this. 2nd game 210. Ho boy, i'm thinking i'm just bowling for fun after watching a couple 260's show up again. I didn't go check but, figure i'm down about 60 or so pins with guys that look like are going to be hard to catch.

3rd game. i'm feeling a little better about a 246. looks like some of those guys are not coping with the oil breakdown. 4th game i change to a buzzsaw that was given to me. I don't know anything about the ball and the thumb hole insert is slightly big for me but the span is close. I threw it in practice just to see it roll and decide not to use it to start. I move 2 left and 1 at the arrows and start with the 1st 9 and 1st ball in the 10th leave a 4-9 split.

Well, i just figured i better give it a shot as i'm not looking around to see how others are really doing yet. (I guess they were watching me this time). I convert the split and come up a little high again for a 4-7 fill ball and 276. 958 total for the 4.

I look around and see somewhat low scores, a few 230's but nothing i could see higher than that. Turns out the 4-9 conversion wins me the event by 9 pins! YESSSS!! 949 was closest to me. i needed that to win. It was a thrill after thinking it was going to take 250 to win the thing when i started. Some of these guys throw monster balls and i don't know why, but, this little sweeper felt like winning the Tournament of Champions to me. I just hung in there and found something in time.

Hopefully, this is an indication of things to come after 10 years away from competition. I'm gonna be ready for the next one!

R/R
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179270 - 06/24/13 08:22 AM Re: I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today! [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Hehe, awesome story, welcome back to competition, and congratulations on the victory!
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#179282 - 06/24/13 09:49 AM Re: I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today! [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Nice job- $20 entry fee? I would have thought $50. Prize fund would have been much better, and it would probably attract more bowlers, but it sounds like you beat some talent. You won't have the option of flying below the radar in future events now!

Bowl up a Storm!

#179289 - 06/24/13 11:12 AM Re: I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today! [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Well done and great story! I still bowl sweepers regularly and win some, lose others. I am still at the "donation" stage in regionals so I am not taking home money from them yet, just paying my dues and learning as I go. Every regional I have bowled I have finished higher than the last so eventually it will be my turn to walk away with money and it will be someone else donating for a little while.

Glad to hear you made your shots count and came away with a wallet a little thicker than it was when you walked in.

You will be paired up with me at some regionals in the future I would imagine, you seem to be right back in the swing of things!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#179308 - 06/24/13 05:27 PM Re: I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today! [Re: sk8shorty01]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
i don't want to blow my horn too loud. Every time out needs prep and focus before and during. I will say that before this little event I did some balance exercises and stretches. I never did this ever and it may have helped.

I looked in the Wiki area per megamav's suggestion and did find interesting 6 exercises all bowlers need. I picked the balance ones because I could do them in the locker area prior to bowling. my timing was on and i believe it was directly related to that prep.

i will definitely make it a part of my pre-practice routine from now on regardless.

thanks again but i still need to build that new arsenal. I'm looking at everything. someone let me throw an old blue Buzzsaw ball that didn't fit in the thumb so i taped it up. I threw 10 in a row with that ball. it was the first time i have been able to throw something with newer technology and it ate em up! I'm looking forward to trying some demo balls soon.

I do hope we can bowl together too. Perhaps we can team up for a doubles crown somewhere smile. I will keep that in mind.

RayRay
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#179320 - 06/25/13 10:31 AM Re: I Won a Tournament (I call it a sweeper) Today! [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I would definitely love to bowl some doubles with people from these boards so let me know and I will do my best to make it happen!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 12:46 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.