BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179141 - 06/19/13 06:26 PM what will become of AMF
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
As you might have heard, AMF is bankrupt and a proposed merger is planned with Bowlmor. The new company would be Bowlmor AMF. However, the head of Bowlmor is more known for his family entertainment centers then supporting the sport of bowling. His concept "Under Shannon’s leadership, Bowlmor changed the bowling alley concept by installing video screens, glow-in-the-dark lanes, and laneside food and drink service. He also eliminated bowling leagues and added sports-themed restaurants to some locations."

So what will now happen to all the AMF houses, will league bowling be eliminated and they all just become a bunch of party houses? One center in our area has 50 lanes, 37 winter leagues, including youth and 1700 bowlers. Can Bowlmor really afford to get rid of them?

Erin

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179143 - 06/19/13 08:14 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
According to this article leagues appear to be safe for now. Can't see how they can realistically turn all of the AMF centers into the boutique type center anyhow. Bowlmor has 6 centers now and they are all based in big cities and urban areas where there are a lot of people in their 20s and 30s with disposable income that will go and fill the place up and pay upwards of $8 per game and spend money on food and drinks. The demographics are much different in the rural areas where a lot of the existing AMF centers are located. I don't see them getting rid of leagues at those locations when it's guaranteed weekly revenue for the center.

#179173 - 06/20/13 09:43 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

until last year we had 5 AMF centers. They closed two last year. We still have to deal with 3 of them.

Erin

#179174 - 06/20/13 09:47 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

In reference to that comment about the Bowlmor lanes in Cupertino where they say We’re like cosmic bowling,” said Cone, who also oversees the Bowlmor operation in Cupertino. “We have that look all the time.”

I went to that center about a year after it opened. Its in a mall, you would have to drag your equipment through a busy parking garage and through part of the mall. There's a warning sign at the front desk that says "use your own equipment at your own risk". I asked them if they had an oiling machine and the reply was NO. That's a sad state of bowling.

Erin

#179203 - 06/21/13 04:49 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I can see areas with several AMF centers (like the 5 or 6 in this area) turning one into a boutique center, and transferring as many of the leagues to other centers in the area. There are open lanes at almost every center at night during the week, so it may help fill lanes that would otherwise go unused. Completely walking away from existing leagues would be unwise.

Bowl up a Storm!

#179207 - 06/21/13 06:12 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

In the last two years we have lost three centers. Most of our centers are full from 6pm to 9:30pm every night, no open play available. And you are right, when those centers closed down the leagues squished to get into the other centers, except a few. The result, unfortunately is that we took a big hit on bowlers. Whenever a center closes there are always a number of bowlers that do not move on to another center and just quit.

Erin

#179218 - 06/22/13 01:43 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
JBenny Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: MD
It's all about the $$$$. If the centers remain profitable I'm sure they will remain untouched. If the business drops they will close and put something in that will bring in more money. It is sad for the bowlers that will be effected, but if you weren't attached to bowling and you thought there was more money to be made elsewhere , wouldn't you explore these options...

#179237 - 06/22/13 08:47 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
i bowl at an AMF house. They give you free practice for bowling in a league. i bowl in a fun league and get 2 hours of practice every friday morning, i can bowl 2 hrs (extreme bowling, but, good practice on how to focus), and every weekday from 10am - 5pm it's all you can bowl for 5.00. as much as i try to bowl i can t afford the "boutique" houses that charge 3.50 per game or 10.00/hr to rent a lane (24.95 on weekends). i pay to bowl in a fun league and consider it practice. in return i get these benefits i mention. at times, i can even get the lane man to set up shots if i go to a tournament. well worth it just to be able to try and stay sharp. yes, it will affect me as a bowler if they close down. i will still have to bowl, but, it will cost me more. maybe i can 'get in' with the new company (maybe BowlMor?) and see if they will run specials for open bowling, but, that is unknown at this point. if some houses close down, maybe i can buy a pair of lanes and get them instlled at home!!

R/R
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#179247 - 06/23/13 01:29 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

<<i bowl in a fun league and get 2 hours of practice every friday morning, >>

who has time to practice Friday mornings? Everyone I know is working Friday mornings.

Erin

#179257 - 06/23/13 12:28 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
I think that's the point. They want people to use the practice when there is less traffic at the bowling center. Makes me wish I had an AMF center in my area. At my local house I pay $2.25 for practice games as a league bowler and I practice on Friday mornings anyway.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 03:59 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.