BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199480 - 06/09/18 01:47 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: mmalsed]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: mmalsed

Our Brunswick Zone (and all of them in the area) has been remodeled. Lineage has gone up. Choice has gone down. Beer-lines aren't cleaned very regularly and the beer tastes like bandaids (chlorophynol, technically)

o)
My BZ is in the process of removing anything with the Brunswick name attached. Removing nameplates on ball returns, chairs , anything. All you see now is OMG and LOL on the side walls. Now the counter person is doubling as the bartender. Having to wait for someone to get a pitcher of beer before I can get someone at the counter to answer the intercom for ball return.
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199482 - 06/09/18 05:15 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: BOSStull]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: BOSStull
Originally Posted By: mmalsed

Our Brunswick Zone (and all of them in the area) has been remodeled. Lineage has gone up. Choice has gone down. Beer-lines aren't cleaned very regularly and the beer tastes like bandaids (chlorophynol, technically)

o)
My BZ is in the process of removing anything with the Brunswick name attached. Removing nameplates on ball returns, chairs , anything. All you see now is OMG and LOL on the side walls. Now the counter person is doubling as the bartender. Having to wait for someone to get a pitcher of beer before I can get someone at the counter to answer the intercom for ball return.

My local BZ started doing the same thing about a year ago. The first thing to go was the Brunswick masking units. They have the same blank white ones that they can use to show videos on which I've seen in a lot of AMF centers. Not only that but the rental shoes have the AMF logo on them, as does the letterhead on the paperwork, plus the paper lining in the food baskets. Other than the Brunswick lanes/pins/ball returns the center looks indistinguishable from an AMF house. I had read somewhere that Bowlmor had a 5 year license to use the Brunswick name so wouldn't surprise me if they are in the process or renaming these centers.

#199483 - 06/10/18 05:29 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
The Building has been painted, red, black and grey. The Zone name is down.

Inside, the counter wall is now black, red and grey. The Brunswick logos on ball returns are being replaced. Shoes have changed. But, the side walls still have BZ clearly visible on wall carpeting. The Bar wall on the concourse has been removed and is now open.

The road sign is still BZ.

Most notably is the change in operating hours. in Summer, opens at 11 am and closes at 11 PM on weekdays, Midnight weekends.

IDK why they still have 3 at the counter, 2 at concession/bar. Business has dropped in half.

The one league I bowl in there threatened to leave if lineage increased. So, it remained the same. But, the contract changed. Used to be an absent bowled wasn't changed for lineage, now they are. Officers got free game pass, no more.

They used to make a 100 cup coffee pot for Sr League. I know it didn't get all used, and they left it out all day. So, last week they dropped it in half to 50. Haha, they ran out and boy did those old ladies let them know about it.

Its Cosmic bowling most open hours with lights flashing and music blasting, and the place is empty. Bowlers don't come any more to practice. And, it appears to be a policy to play music during leagues. They won't turn it off but down.

Edited by Dennis Michael (06/10/18 05:34 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199515 - 06/23/18 09:41 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
BOSStull Offline

It may have appeared I was bashing my BZ but really it is still the best place for league bowling in my area. I will support them as long as I can. I feel sure that if league bowling dies here so will the bowling center. They do not have other fun attractions like Stars and Strikes or Main Event has to attract customers. It is pretty much bowling as the main money maker.

#199521 - 06/23/18 04:00 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

The Mon Nite League I bowled in had 32 teams and is now down to 22. I know of 3 teams leaving in the Fall. 2 are joining my league at a privately owned center.

The Thurs Nite League, was a 185+ handicapped trio league. 18 teams when I bowled, now 14. Only, because they have allowed lower average bowlers to enter. this hurts, because there is a low handicap of 170. So anyone with lower average only gets a cap based on 170. But, the house will sign up anyone.

There are 2 main reasons for bowlers leaving. 1. The lineage for league bowling is now higher then the highest open bowling rates. A bowler can save $4-5 by moving to another center, or pay the same rate and that differrence goes to the prize fund.

The second issue has been with the lane conditions. It is rare that the lanes are oiled the same 2 weeks in a row. There is NO laneman to fix the machine when its off or pads worn. Counter people have been trained to run the machine. It has been common, that the lane oiler has broken down, and leagues have gone for weeks without the lanes being oiled.

#199543 - 06/28/18 01:02 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

This house is NUTS. Sr league used to have a 100 cup Urn of coffee for league. Then, the Regional Mgr saw that there was a surplus. So, he ordered the Manager to make a half Urn the next week. They ran out in game two, and the old ladies were very unhappy. So, he raised it to 60 cups and used smaller cups. Who is he trying to fool?

I am sure a couple will bring in theirown 5 pound can of coffee to use next week.

The skimping in the Center is becoming so evident, people are getting upset.

We were without a clock on the West, outside wall, as the old one stopped working. So, 2 bowlers bought one and brought it in. It sat behind the counter for weeks. Then one of the purchasers took it, got a bar stool, and hung it on the hook of the old one. He was admonished because the new clock was battery operated, unlike the old plug in one. Not it will cost to replace the batteries.

How cheap can they get!! Does anyone want to donate 2 AA batteries?

I remember we had a blind programmer at work, years ago. I'm sure AMF would have turned off the lights in his office.

Edited by Dennis Michael (06/28/18 01:07 PM)

#199544 - 06/28/18 01:12 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

oh, I heard scuttlebutt the other day. It seems that lineage for leagues will raise in the Fall to pay for the paint job in and outside of the building. the bowlers didn't ask for it. So, why should they have to pay?

Lineage for Monday Nite Men's league is already higher then open bowling prices.

#199545 - 06/29/18 06:55 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
We were without a clock on the West, outside wall, as the old one stopped working. So, 2 bowlers bought one and brought it in. It sat behind the counter for weeks. Then one of the purchasers took it, got a bar stool, and hung it on the hook of the old one. He was admonished because the new clock was battery operated, unlike the old plug in one. Not it will cost to replace the batteries.

We had a sort of similar clock story this year. Our center always has a clock above the lanes in the middle of the center. Last season it started to act up and never showed the correct time. It took them a good few months to replace it. At least the replacement is a better clock for where it is located, it is much bigger.

Mark

#199552 - 06/30/18 12:07 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
BOSStull Offline

Yep, our bowling is going up too.

#199564 - 07/03/18 10:16 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

The Zone Manager held a meeting with a few bowlers, who also happen to be officers of leagues last year. The purpose was to understand objections with the new ownership.

the largest complaint was the lineage being charged. This has caused teams and a couple of leagues to switch centers.

the second was bar pricing and food. It appears that the prices are exhorbitant, and the quality is poor.

third was inconsistency in the weekly shot. Oilers were down alot and not working the same from week to week.

lastly, was lane break downs. Lane 40 hasn't worked all year and now, lanes 31-2 are not available for leagues. the house has operated without a laneman for months, borrowing one from another nearby house. We recently got a new one, but he splits his time among 3 houses in the area. And, each house has different machines that requires training on each.

I remember an old Zone house, that has since closed, who hired a new laneman that was untrained on their machines. He was called to repair a problem, and in doing so, tried with the knowledge he had. The rack mechanism came down on his arm and snapped the bone in half. He was on leave for months. And, when he returned, he was terminated.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.