BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199468 - 06/05/18 11:57 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I drop in every weekday, just to see. smile

Same situation here. Our old AMF is now Bolero and the few leagues that are there are just there out of stubbornness.

Our Brunswick Zone (and all of them in the area) has been remodeled. Lineage has gone up. Choice has gone down. Beer-lines aren't cleaned very regularly and the beer tastes like bandaids (chlorophynol, technically)

our local independent is doing well. Leagues Wed-Sun. Mon and Tue we get 2 free games. Leagues are big and thriving. We're getting more and more so it often multiple leagues per night (like a big and a small); especially when leagues see they can lower their lineage and put that money into prize funds. Me, I'd prefer a lower weekly fee (we switched leagues for that reason) but . . . smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#199469 - 06/05/18 04:25 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, 5th week is in the books. I bowled like crap. But, we won all 3 games and total.

And, this is the 4th week that lanes 39/40 are shut down, and the 3rd week that lanes 31/32 are off as well. It would help if this house had a laneman who could fix things. Instead, AMF has 1 regional laneman to service 3 houses. And, he's new and has yet to be trained on our machines.

I don't mind lane 40 being out of commission, being on the outside wall. But, 31/32 are right in the middle of the league.

Today, the President has a new complaint. As teams were finishing, the counter put open bowlers on 2 lanes that were done. But, the adjacent lanes still had league bowlers. And, the lanes assigned had balls in the rack and the team was still writing down scores. There is no regard for leagues.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199470 - 06/05/18 09:40 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Dennis Michael]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Today, the President has a new complaint. As teams were finishing, the counter put open bowlers on 2 lanes that were done. But, the adjacent lanes still had league bowlers. And, the lanes assigned had balls in the rack and the team was still writing down scores. There is no regard for leagues.

Something similar happened to me but it was during open bowling. I finished up my practice and had to the bathroom so I left my stuff on the rack. I came back 5 minutes later and the lane was given out to another group (with other open lanes available) plus they were throwing my equipment. Talking to either manager there is useless, they get defensive and cite corporate policy ad nauseam. They actually brought in a 3rd manager last year that was a league bowler and understood the issues that I and other bowlers had but he got fed up and left to manage another center.

I'm actually bowling at another center that's part of a chain (Sparetime Entertainment) this summer and it's 100x better than Bowlmor. First and foremost no matter what time you come in there is always oil on the lanes. They actually put out a good shot here (Kegel Big Ben) while the Brunswick Zone that I bowled at in the winter is practically handing out honor scores in the summer (3 weeks into their Wednesday League and there have already been four 800s). The manager there is a bowler and cares about the league base. No corporate policy BS either. The league that I joined was small and we all wanted to move the league from 7:00 to 6:30 and it was no issue. Also we get 2 free games per day of practice for bowling in the summer. If it's a weekday and they're not too busy they'll offer me a pair of lanes away from the other open bowlers. At Brunswick Zone it was all cosmic bowling all the time with bowlers on both adjacent lanes (even if it was a weekday afternoon and there were only a few lanes going) and it was almost impossible to get a decent practice in.

#199471 - 06/06/18 08:08 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Dennis Michael]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Nearly every season, our center would try to sneak open bowlers on the pair next to our league and it is always met with complaints. I will give the desk person credit for what they did for most of last season. Almost every week they kept on putting one of the best high school bowlers in the county and her father on the pair next to our league. I'm totally fine if the open bowlers they put next to our league are regular league bowlers themselves. The center still gets revenue for the pair and we're not aggravated at the center.

Mark

#199472 - 06/06/18 11:43 AM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Yeah - HATE that as well. Thankfully our new center puts up on the display "Reserved" so typically no problem.

I would have ZERO problem with using league bowlers, doing makeup or pre-bowl or whatever, on the spare lanes AFTER we're pretty much determined that we don't need them. I mean we rarely need it . . . but . . . smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#199473 - 06/06/18 04:59 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
well, we were told that the league cannot stop the Center from earning money. So, open bowlers will be placed on any open lane. And, the Center alternates assigning lanes. Day 1, start from left to right and Day 2 from right to left. This is to extend the life of lane surfaces and evenly use up oil on the lanes.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#199476 - 06/09/18 01:04 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: djp1080]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 62/M /Georgia
Originally Posted By: djp1080
Luke's reviews are pretty darn good.
I have the Hy-Road Pearl and it's a very nice ball. It matches up with my style quite well. In Luke's review of the Intense Fire I think he says it has a similar shape to the HYP. If that's the case, it ought to be pretty good for me.
I have the Storm IQ Tour 30 and it's done well for me, but the HYP suits my style better. I picked up the Son!Q expecting it to be similar in shape to the IQT 30, but it seems to get farther down the lane than I expected; however, it grabs the friction a lot more. It's more difficult to control and I don't get much room for error like the HYP or IQT 30.
Perhaps I should stick with what I've got... smile
DJP I also picked up the SON!Q. I agree with your assessment. It definitely moves on the back end when it hits friction. I will probably wait for another demo before I make another purchase. Storm usually has 2 or 3 in the area every year.

Edited by BOSStull (06/09/18 01:05 PM)
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#199477 - 06/09/18 01:15 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: BOSStull]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: BOSStull

I like the Stars and Strikes near my house but league participation there is even worse. You may get 8-10 teams on a night.

A friend of mine was going to do summer ball league at S&S. At the end of the league you got your choice of a Hyper Cell Fuse, No Rules Exist, Intense, or Code X including drilling. Only 4 people showed up for the league.

#199478 - 06/09/18 01:21 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: steveA]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: steveA
Yep I'm another that drops in on a regular basis , just don't post that much.
Me too Steve. Trying to post a little more. It's has been a crazy week at work so only got on to read. Did not have time to post during the week. So today's the day.

#199479 - 06/09/18 01:46 PM Re: what will become of AMF [Re: Atochabsh]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Thanks BOS. I guess it's not just me then.
I see you have the Hy-Road Nano in your ball list.
I bought one at 16 lbs. Probably should have gotten a 15 lb. model instead. I got it before any Bowling This Month reviews as I thought "How can this not be a great ball?" It's pretty good. I've not used it much so far though. The IQ Tour Nano is a ball I have some confidence in, but not so much for the HyRN yet.
I'll have to play with it more this Summer to find a better line to play. So far I've been laying it down around board 17 and targeting at 12 or 13 at the arrows. Perhaps need to move more left and target 15 or more at the arrows to get more miss room, not sure.
I got it primarily to tackle any over/under reaction we get sometimes...

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by jsigone - Yesterday at 01:03 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.