BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179004 - 06/12/13 10:54 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
yeah i agree. i was maybe over exaggerating a bit. I am just trying to build a 3 ball arsenal to cover everything I might encounter along with the balls i have come to know again after sitting in my garage for 10 years. believe me, they do have some characteristics I remember and i settled on these balls because i did so well with them and do fairly well with them now. i have been told that with the right new equipment i might have a lot of fun out there putting up some respectable numbers. of course, i'm interested in that and will probably find a coach i can trust plus some of you guys out here for help in making informed choices. so far, i am real happy with the group out here and hopefully we can help each other take it to the next level.
R/R
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#179013 - 06/13/13 07:49 AM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
One way to find out what you like is to go to a ball demo run by one of the manufacturing companies. We run them in Central Florida quite often so keep your eyes open, not sure where exactly you are from in Florida but if its not to far of a drive we will probably be running one in Merritt Island in the next couple months.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#179015 - 06/13/13 08:47 AM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
That's why I have to give kudos to my Pro Shop. The owner drills every new ball, regardless of manufacture, with interchangeable thumb and fingers. Any bowler who has interchangeable thumbs and fingers can insert their own into the ball and test them.

It gives you a REAL good perspective of the ball by using it.

I know there are a lot of balls that I cannot use because of the RG and Diff. They don't match up to my release and ball speed. So, I can eliminate many on the first pass and test roll the others.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#179017 - 06/13/13 09:55 AM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: sk8shorty01]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

yeah just let me know. storm is very high on my list. a guy with a close span to mine (bigger thumb tho) let me throw is IQ Gold Pearl on a fill shot. not enough to tell too much but i did see that ball rev up quite a bit for me. his pin was slightly higher and just to the right of his index finger.
email me as i can get to merritt island in a couple of hours.
oh email is [email protected]

R/R
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#179024 - 06/13/13 04:50 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
I am just trying to build a 3 ball arsenal to cover everything I might encounter along with the balls i have come to know again after sitting in my garage for 10 years.

I think it makes sense to start with a "benchmark" type ball. For me, that's something in the mid-performance category. It maybe be somewhat instructive that C300 has a ball called "Benchmark", it has 2.51 RG (medium-ish), .052 diff (actually pretty strong) and a hybrid coverstock. Some players like some different numbers or coverstock types, it's all good. The main thing is to chase a strong but predictable reaction, and then start thinking about a step up and a step down from that. I currently have three balls in that general category, hopefully by the regular season I can decide which one is *actually* my benchmark ball laugh

#179026 - 06/13/13 05:54 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

yeah i'm thinking that medium-strong ball will be a good place to start. once i have the 3 balls for a wide-spectrum of conditions, i will add 3 more to fine tune off each of the weak, medium and strong balls of the first 3 i end up with. i am still trying to catch up here after 10 years so, all your help is appreciated guys.

R/R
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#179027 - 06/13/13 06:29 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Would anyone care to name a few benchmark balls from each company?

#179031 - 06/14/13 09:46 AM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: NaSTI]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Roto Grip Berserk (waiting for a hybrid version of the Disturbed to retire that ball) or Wrecker. Storm Hy-Road, Crossroad, Frantic, Lights-Out, probably some Heat Hybrids left out there... (Joe Bowler has a point!). Columbia Benchmark, Mass Eruption. Hammer Arson Or Arson Hybrid. Ebonite Elevate, Persevere, Endure, Exceed. Motiv Sigma Hybrid (I also think the Venom Toxin would work with the polish knocked off!). Brunswick Meanstreak Brawler. DV8 Marauder.

That's only if you're going with the "mid-price, mid-performance symmetric Hybrid" theory. If someone wants to call their Roto Grip Disturbed, Storm IQ Tour (solid), Motiv Sigma Tour, C300 Disruption, DV8 Marauder Madness, Brunswick Versa-Max, or so on their "Benchmark", I'm not about to argue. Even among pearl-cover balls, there are probably some good choices if you're willing to keep some surface on it. Honestly you could do worse than an Ebonite Cyclone at 2000 abralon.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.