BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178970 - 06/11/13 10:08 PM Bowling Ball Reviews In General
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
I have been reading the posts and watching the videos on what I think are fairly fresh conditions and of course great shots being made with the balls. I have some comments on this first then balls next.

I would like to see the same bowlers use the balls on some blown out lane conditions to see how they handle on them. that might tell me more about how they look or what ball to use that gives you a look you want on scattered oil or conditions where you need to better control what you do by watching who's ahead of you at tournaments, etc.. I guess what i'm trying to say is how are these balls on a more inconsistent condition where the pattern applied has deteriorated.

I may learn more watching good bowlers using good fundamentals throw balls on bad blown-out shots and see what adjustments they make (ball change, when to change, what to try without wasting too much time finding what works.... that type of thing. does anyone follow what i'm trying to get across here?

Next, on ball reviews: I can just guess that the factory finish of the balls is the way the manufacturer recommends as a starting point for the ball out of the box. however, if you rough up the coverstock won't you get an earlier read on the lanes no matter what ball you have? Even a weak ball? I can take my old urethane balls and rough them up and play heavy oil just as well as a dull reactive ball. i like heavy oil because i can be more accurate with a nice slow shot say 11-12mph, but, i diverse for a moment.... also there is the problem with oil absorbing into the ball. if you dull up a coverstock wont the oil soak into it faster? it will be great for maybe 3 or 4 games but the reaction will begin to fade.

i guess if it is an 8-game block you wont need that roughed-up ball much past 4 games anyway right?

conversely, i can buff up/have a ball resurfaced and highly polished to the max and get it to slide/go long. Wont a highly polished ball also prevent oil absorbing into it? So, why not polish up all balls so they last longer and keep their reaction? make sense?

I can relate to what they say about cores and i am still learning about rg and differential because i don't yet know why such a seemingly (to me) small value differences in these rating categories makes such a big difference in ball behavior. i have read about it but maybe it has not sunk in.

remember i am trying to catch up here after 10 years out of the sport and i'm trying to make some good decisions on ball choices so i get what i want and what i need and since i can't afford to buy a ball every 30 games. i need something that will last awhile until i can get a win in a tournament and ... what else.... get another ball... ;-)

thanks again all. this site is great.

R/R
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#178972 - 06/11/13 10:40 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Concerning surface, I rarely keep anything at the manufacturer's out-of-box condition. If the ball finishes hooking and starts rolling between 55 and 60 feet, I would say it is doing fine. When I was just bowling one house, and the shot was consistently dry, I had good success keeping all my equipment at 500/1000/2000/4000/polished. That does reduce maintenance. However, bowling leagues and tournaments on different surfaces and oil patterns requires a greater variety of cores, covers, and surfaces to better match up to the shot, and maximize area and carry percentage. While building your arsenal, if you focus on filling gaps, i.e., ball reactions you don't already have with your existing equipment, I believe you will do well.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#178978 - 06/12/13 07:45 AM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
As far as bowling on broken down conditions for videos, I've seen one or two that have been done on leftover conditions from the league shot from the night before. Check out the ones that Gary from the Bowlers Edge Pro Shop have done. He rarely uses a fresh condition. He shows more than just strikes, too. He'll usually compare 3-4 balls, and when doing so, he'll line up and strike with the weakest ball, then move to the next aggressive ball, but throw it on the same line as the weaker ball, to show how much more aggressive it is on that line. Then he'll move to where he needs to be to strike with that ball (maybe a couple of moves before he gets there), then repeat that up to the strongest ball.
Lanes don't always break down the same way- depending on who you're following, what was put down, and who you're bowling with, they can go through different transitions that will require different adjustments. It's not always easy to show that in a 3-4 minute video.

Bowl up a Storm!

#178990 - 06/12/13 12:17 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
The problem is that when you're comparing balls, you really have to do it on an "all things considered equal" footing - which means fresh lanes and hopefully consistent fresh lanes, otherwise you're comparing apples to kumquats.

How can you consistently blow out lanes? You can't - second squad is going to be much different than lanes that were partied on just before league (crappitall!!!) and second squad with lefties is going to be different than second squad with strokers is going to be different than second squad with crankers.

I agree, though, it would be lovely to see how a ball reacts to blown out lanes. Strangely, my IQTP reacts very well to those - I rarely have to change, it does not seem to soak up any oil at all. Would have been good to know before I got it drilled (it was a Christmas present) - not that I would have changed. smile

I really like how Sk8 has started to put stroker/tweener/cranker shots on his reviews. Seeing different shots is definitely a plus.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#178991 - 06/12/13 12:43 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline

I like reviews that compare lots of other balls on the same shot. I particularly like Kevin Gallagher's videos because in a couple minutes he will go through Motiv's entire relevant lineup and provide graphics with positions at the foul line, arrows and breakpoint. If you own one of the balls in the lineup, it helps to see where the ball you are considering might fit in your arsenal. For example, the link below helped me decide I did NOT want to purchase the Motiv Tank (too early, holding out for a pearl version).

#178992 - 06/12/13 01:14 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think comparing it to the entire line works well with the smaller companies like Kevin is doing, and I actually really like it but for me that would be almost impossible.

Because there are so many bowling balls in Storm's official "current" line I would have to bowl probably 30 games to accomplish that and to do that every time with every new ball (plus they would have to oil in between every 4-5 games to keep things equal) would not be cost effective for me.

I try to compare each ball to two other "similar" balls in Storm's lineup to give you an idea of where they fit.

Typically, if possible, I like to compare pearls to pearls and I move up and down lines as opposed to comparing all equipment within one line but maybe that is something I should do differently in the future?

In your opinion(s) would you rather see a ball compared to something stronger and weaker with a similar cover (ie pearl, hybrid, solid, etc) regardless of line or would you rather see something where the ball is compared to the other equipment within its own line?

For instance, with that Marvel-S I compared it to the Sync and the Reign of Power (solid one line higher and lower) but would it have been easier to understand what the ball does if I compared it to the other equipment in that line instead, for example the Marvel-S would have been compared to the Modern Marvel, Marvel Pearl, IQ, IQ Tour Pearl, IQ Tour...
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#178993 - 06/12/13 01:57 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
however, if you rough up the coverstock won't you get an earlier read on the lanes no matter what ball you have? Even a weak ball? I can take my old urethane balls and rough them up and play heavy oil just as well as a dull reactive ball.

If you rough up the coverstock on a given ball, it will read earlier for that ball. In NO way can you rough up, say, a Storm Natural and make it equivalent to a Storm Sync. Surface is one component of ball motion but core dynamics, coverstock hardness, inherent texture, and porosity (plus things I'm probably forgetting) all play in as well.

Different horses for different courses, urethane is great when you want a ball to read early but not over-react, but we have much better stuff for most of the conditions you are likely to see.

#178994 - 06/12/13 02:08 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: sk8shorty01]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01

For instance, with that Marvel-S I compared it to the Sync and the Reign of Power (solid one line higher and lower) but would it have been easier to understand what the ball does if I compared it to the other equipment in that line instead, for example the Marvel-S would have been compared to the Modern Marvel, Marvel Pearl, IQ, IQ Tour Pearl, IQ Tour...

Now that you mention it, seeing it back-to-back with the Marvel Pearl (same core, still a current release) would have been cool but honestly I wasn't thinking "Darn it, why didn't he..." when viewing the video.

I see a lot of comments on ball reaction videos, wanting to see everything rolled on the same shot. I think these people are missing the idea that a dry-lane ball may look like a [censored] on a medium-heavy shot, and a heavy-oil ball may look like a marshmallow on anything BUT a heavy-oil condition....

#178995 - 06/12/13 02:09 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: sk8shorty01]
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/York, PA
I know when I was looking for a weaker ball for drier lanes, I wanted to see the difference in both covers of the same line, but also how they compared to the lines above and below. For instance, I was looking at the Tropical Heat Hybrid, but I wasn't sure if it would be too strong/weak and wanted to compare to the Breeze Hybrid and Frantic. It seemed that pearl was more popular than hybrid in the heats, so I also wanted to compare the Heat Pearl to the Heat Hybrid. So essentially what I would have loved would be those four balls to be compared so I can gauge the strength of the ball compared to the other lines, and also the cover/shape of the balls in the same.
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze
Brunswick Vis-A-Ball Lizard Eye

HG: 298
HS: 778

#178997 - 06/12/13 02:14 PM Re: Bowling Ball Reviews In General [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
In your opinion(s) would you rather see a ball compared to something stronger and weaker with a similar cover (ie pearl, hybrid, solid, etc) regardless of line or would you rather see something where the ball is compared to the other equipment within its own line?

I think of my arsenal in terms of slots. So, when I read or watch a review, the two questions that come to mind are 1) What slot does this ball fit?, and 2) How does this ball compare to other balls competing for that slot? With Storm, there are so many lines, so many choices, and so much overlap, it can be tough to differentiate. What color and core would you like with that R2S coverstock? Hehe, not a knock, just good business practice that is selling a lot of balls for Storm.

But, I guess showing one ball in the line above and below would help illustrate which slot the ball fits, plus one or two balls in the same line to demonstrate how it compares to other balls in the same line would be helpful. That's 5 balls total, if that is doable. One representative shot for each of the comparison balls plus a combined overlay of all of the shots together would be great.

Edited by Joe Bowler (06/12/13 02:37 PM)
Edit Reason: Just noticed...ditto what NoThumbNoProblem said. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by djp1080 - 01/06/20 10:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.