BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178927 - 06/09/13 08:47 PM Latest practice video 6-8-13
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Just my latest practice video. So far to go, but "Closer Every Day". Felt like it proved the adage "Lanes with friction make a strong ball look weak and a weak ball look strong", Roto Grip Shout (red and blue ball) was doing more for me than the Mass Eruption (blue ball). Nice to get a little confidence back on a THS after these weeks of beatings on Sport.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#178964 - 06/11/13 08:49 PM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Is there anything you would like to improve on?
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#178968 - 06/11/13 09:28 PM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: spr3wr]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
Is there anything you would like to improve on?

Yessir!

These days I'm bothered by the kick I'm doing with my right leg at the line. I feel like it's probably an action/reaction thing, which tells me I'm probably trying to do too much with the ball. To MY eyes my best hits occur when my foot stays on the floor, so THAT'S not working for me. Maybe if I get my shoulders back a little bit, it will shift a little weight back and help stop the kicking, plus allow my follow-through to extend better?

I'm slowly trying to get my hand more behind the ball, but kind of waiting until after summer league ends to do anything drastic. If it weren't for the benefit of video, I'd swear I was up-the-back.

Of course, getting closer to my target or hitting it more consistently would be a plus. A house shot with some friction to the outside can mean a lot of strikes, but I'm spraying 'em pretty good out there frown When my right leg clears over to the left I see my head moves to the right (more action-reaction), that can't be helping my ability to target?

Of course if anyone else sees anything I'm all ears. I'm not really looking to pick up a lot of revs or change my hinge move... sort of set in some of my ways but I try to keep an open mind. As I said in the OP, long long ways to go.

#178971 - 06/11/13 10:40 PM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
Rick,

I like to practice on THS simply because i can get my timing re-synchronized after bowling on the sport shots, especially the shorter ones. once you get the feel back on the THS, you can work on targeting and various angles that you cannot do on a sport shot.

I think you have to bowl on both to become a better bowler, but, that THS is great to work on your game. only a few shots really are not very playable on the house shots.

from your video i see you are on the verge of topping the ball and use side roll to get the ball reaction. i would (and I will) post some errant shots that were not strikes that show really what you tend to do wrong. On that condition I will make a guess if you turn over too early on your release and top the ball, you come up light a lot, wash out or leave buckets and 2-10's. we all do it and i'm not winning out on the PBA tour but, i think you can get more help showing mistakes - maybe even spare misses.

You look good at the line and the kick you have is not as bad as you describe. maybe get into your slide a little earlier and see what happens. Since you have a 5-step approach you can try a couple things if you feel adventurous. Maybe start your swing on different steps. right now you hold the ball the first 2 steps, start your swing in the 3rd step.

I have tried to start my swing on my 1st, 2nd step and on my 4th step like a 2-hander. just an experiment. I usually begin my swing on my 3rd step too. i didnt switch to 1st, 2nd or 4th step swings and it took me a few shots to master these types of changes, but, it did show me things about timing. I have used 3-step approach with much success but, you have to know when to start that swing or it wont work. once you do that the 3-step approach is the last part of your 5-step approach if you think about it. the only difference for me is i start the ball swing before i take my 1st of 3 steps.

another thing you can try is moving up or back on the approach. it will change how you kick at the line. when i move back on the approach, my trailing leg tends to end up further behind me than to the side because my slide will be longer.

i dont know if these types of suggestions will help you, but, i do know when you go back to your normal approach it will seem so easy and instinctive to do. or you may find out something about your game.

let me know you think?

RayRay
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#178980 - 06/12/13 08:19 AM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
Rick,

from your video i see you are on the verge of topping the ball and use side roll to get the ball reaction.

Quite right. When I manage to freeze the video at "just before release" I can see my thumb is still somewhat in the ball, way over at 10 o'clock, can see a bunch of daylight between the thumb and fingers, almost a suitcase release. It sickens me livid On the video I can see the ball turning IN behind my back, but when I bowl I can't FEEL that.

i would (and I will) post some errant shots that were not strikes that show really what you tend to do wrong. On that condition I will make a guess if you turn over too early on your release and top the ball, you come up light a lot, wash out or leave buckets and 2-10's. we all do it and i'm not winning out on the PBA tour but, i think you can get more help showing mistakes - maybe even spare misses.

Mostly when I do a video, I like to show the strikes as I consider them "ball reaction videos". Also when I re-watch them, it's a confidence booster. Are you asking for a "blooper reel"? I can do that LOL!

#178984 - 06/12/13 09:46 AM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
56bird Offline

This wasn't every singe "oops" but a majority of them. You asked for it smile

#179008 - 06/13/13 12:17 AM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

ok, yeah that helps. your hand position is in a good place when you start your approach. if you could hold it there until your thumb releases it would give you a much stronger roll. of course, i have had balls that the thumb pitch would not allow me to do that. that almost 5-7-10 tells me you need a stronger roll. when you start your swing your hand slowly comes around the ball as you get closer to delivery. if you could hold that until release you would unleash all the stored energy instead of gradually unleashing it. catch my drift?

it may feel at first like you are turning your arm 'way out' on your backswing since you are used to throwing it that way, but, that is what videos are for. don't diss yourself for how you bowl, just see what you need to key on to improve. after all, it's not the score that you end up with, it's how you perform frame-by-frame that will lead to that score of 300.

of my 300's only one of them was what i thought a 'really perfect' one. the others were seemingly nights where i could do no wrong and ended up with the right results. I wasnt spraying shots but i will admit i lined up in the zone. i could hit any of 5 boards and my hand position was in the right place to put the ball where it needed to be when i hit one of those 5 boards. in fact, i may not have had a 5-board margin for error, but, the way i was throwing shots it seemed like i did ;-) .

not one of the 300's were in my highest series i have shot either, but, they were all in series that were close to my highest series/sets. hard to say because 3 of them were in 6 game blocks. i never had one in league either. only in tournaments so, i do want to shoot one in league now, but, if that doesn't happen i'll just have to settle for shooting them in tournaments i guess wink .

i say if something hurts your scores because you are not used to doing it, but, fundamentally it is what you need to do, then the scoring problem will solve itself because you are doing the right things. hopefully sooner than later.

once you get some videos of you holding your hand position 'out' more than you are used to, then i will try and mention other things. so far, i think you need to get that hand/fingers behind the ball and key on how to aim it that way first.

sorry for the long post but when i get to typing my brain has to keep up with my hands smile
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#179016 - 06/13/13 09:41 AM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
56bird Offline

ok, yeah that helps. your hand position is in a good place when you start your approach. if you could hold it there until your thumb releases it would give you a much stronger roll.

Trouble is, I always FEEL that I'm doing just that, but video (and ball roll) don't lie.

I was messing around with this last night on Viper. I had a hard time keeping everything else the same, ended up with higher ball speed. Not a "bad" reaction but covering a few less boards, probably because of the speed as much as anything. And I don't know how much I actually corrected the issue.

I'll keep working at it and grab more video when I can.

#179018 - 06/13/13 09:57 AM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

cool. me too. i'm waiting for my buddy's cell phone email so i can take a look at the 2 videos he did of me last nite.
r/r
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#

#179077 - 06/16/13 10:57 PM Re: Latest practice video 6-8-13 [Re: 56bird]
JBenny Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: MD
I would recommend trying to finish palm up.. Try to feel the pads of your fingers "rolling" the ball.. I would bet that in your release you feel pressure on the outsides of your fingers.. This is going to give you a heavier end over end roll rather than circling the ball... Its hard to do, but necessary for improvement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.