BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178602 - 05/13/13 09:57 PM Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather?
FuriousSam Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/Lodi, NJ
Hi all,

Sorry if this reads like a five year old, and I'll try my best to example this.

For the past couple of the weeks I've been having trouble with my Storm Vivid. I have been playing the oil line all season (standing at 12, roll through target at 10) and the ball have been coming back smooth into the pocket for the first game. However, lately I noticed that the ball will not break and just keep rolling forward towards the 3. The funny thing is that if I pull out my Storm Frantic and play the same line, it would roll into the pocket. I do see shiny oil on the balls when they return, I am just wondering if I should make any changes to the Vivid or just stick with the Frantic for the rest of the season (last week, lol).

-- Sam

Motiv Forza
Motiv Venom Shock
White Dot

BowlSK

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#178603 - 05/14/13 12:32 AM Re: Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather? [Re: FuriousSam]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
There are lots of things that can effect the pattern week to week (like the weather) and my suggestion is not to focus on the whys but to focus on the "whats" instead.

The "what" in this situation (what is happening here) is that for whatever reason your Vivid was laboring to turn the corner. You found a fix by switching to the Frantic. But that knowledge in your mental toolbox. Now any time in the future (including next week) when you see your Vivid laboring, you know you can switch to the Frantic and get it to tip.

Too many guys focus on all the reasons why the shot is different, but very few focus on what tricks they can use to counter the problem. Now you have a trick. Remember it.

As Fin's signature says, "experience is something you get after you need it most."

#178605 - 05/14/13 08:26 AM Re: Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather? [Re: FuriousSam]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
I noticed that the ball will not break and just keep rolling forward towards the 3.

I think this tells the story which is the Vivid was rolling-out. The house either started putting down less oil or there was a lot of guys playing the same line. You made the right choice by stepping down to the Frantic. I would finish out with the Frantic or try moving in more with the Vivid. Many centers start cutting back on the oil during the summer season.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#178606 - 05/14/13 09:20 AM Re: Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather? [Re: FuriousSam]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
The centers switch over from heat to a/c, raising the relative humidity level, which affects lane conditions, so yes, many centers will use a little less oil in the summer. Recognizing how your ball reads the friction will give you a good indication of how to adjust. The Vivid soaks up a lot of oil, so if it's laboring after a game or two, either move in or switch to something cleaner up front (which is what you did- good adjustment!).

Bowl up a Storm!

#178609 - 05/14/13 03:14 PM Re: Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather? [Re: FuriousSam]
FuriousSam Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/Lodi, NJ
Thanks for the replies.

I just wish I could have read the lanes sooner, lost quite a few points because of that in the last weeks... I'll go practice today (normally they have a few pairs oil up) and see if moving in might work with the Vivid, but I'll probably just stick with the Frantic during game time.

-- Sam

Motiv Forza
Motiv Venom Shock
White Dot

BowlSK

#178650 - 05/17/13 11:13 AM Re: Lane Condition Changes Due To Weather? [Re: FuriousSam]
vdubtx Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 44/M/TX
Originally Posted By: FuriousSam
Thanks for the replies.

I just wish I could have read the lanes sooner, lost quite a few points because of that in the last weeks... I'll go practice today (normally they have a few pairs oil up) and see if moving in might work with the Vivid, but I'll probably just stick with the Frantic during game time.

-- Sam

I was in the same boat last week. Did not make a ball change until half way through 3rd game though. I can sometimes be stubborn in making the change. I definitely need to work on that.

Edited by vdubtx (05/17/13 11:14 AM)

Equipment:
Roto Grip -
Haywire
Hyper Cell
Disturbed
Uproar
Roto Red Spare

Hammer -
First Blood

Storm -
Ride

Brunswick -
Nirvana

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 0 seconds ago
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.