BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177632 - 03/28/13 11:53 AM Motiv Tank (Urethane)
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I am so looking forward to the introduction of Motiv's first urethane ball, the Tank. The combination of low RG, low Diff core, and urethane cover should perform exceedingly well on shorter, drier patterns.
http://www.motivbowling.com/products/balls/tank.html
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#177634 - 03/28/13 12:15 PM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
I'm also pleased that Motiv is going to provide you a urethane option in their line (with a current core, too!). Will be interested to hear what you do with it in terms of layout too, being a urethane ball I'm not sure what your thoughts are...

Rick, given some of our recent conversations, I suspect this is going to rock your world, too...

A while back, after years of experimentation, I standardized my layout across all of my equipment, and have been very happy with the results. When I want a different ball reaction, I choose a ball with a different core/cover/surface prep combination. The layout stays the same. [GASP!] smile

In simple terms, the Pin is located 3-3/8 from my PAP and 6-3/4 from the center of my thumb hole. The thumb is then drilled through the MB marker (if any). In Dual Angle terms, that is approximately 90 degrees Drilling Angle, 3-3/8 Pin to PAP, 45 degrees Angle to VAL.

The performance benefit is this produces near maximum flare for the ball's potential. In part, this is because of the 3-3/8 Pin to PAP, but also because the thumb hole is drilled into the side of the core, increasing differential. The practical benefit is this allows me to order commonly available Pin to CG lengths and top weights.

I am aware it would be possible to increase/decrease flare with a strategically placed balance hole or changing the drilling angle on an asymmetrical ball. But, I find these effects, along with other Dual Angle adjustments, to be marginal and prefer the consistency of one, simple, optimized layout.

One of the first "proofs" (at least to myself) that the same layout could be applied across the board to my weakest and strongest equipment was rolling a 300 game on a short pattern at an unfamiliar house with my Storm Natural Pearl. Who says urethane does not carry, hehe? I can hardly wait to roll the Motiv Tank and compare the two balls.

#177637 - 03/28/13 01:38 PM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler

Rick, given some of our recent conversations, I suspect this is going to rock your world, too...

A while back, after years of experimentation, I standardized my layout across all of my equipment, and have been very happy with the results. When I want a different ball reaction, I choose a ball with a different core/cover/surface prep combination. The layout stays the same. [GASP!] smile

No sir... if you'd said you might lay it out differently that might have rocked my world a tiny bit (we talked about your layout strategy before) but I thought it possible only due to the kind-of-radical departure rolling urethane is vs. reactive.

Considering how different the Natural Pearl and Tank will be in specs (outside the urethane cover and similar track flare potential) it will be interesting indeed to hear how they compare with the same layout smile I won't be surprised if they end up complementing well, OR if you retire the Natural. I WILL be surprised if you don't like the Tank, given the givens.

#177638 - 03/28/13 02:41 PM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: 56bird]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: RickSchott
Considering how different the Natural Pearl and Tank will be in specs (outside the urethane cover and similar track flare potential) it will be interesting indeed to hear how they compare with the same layout smile I won't be surprised if they end up complementing well, OR if you retire the Natural. I WILL be surprised if you don't like the Tank, given the givens.

The Natural Pearl was a great additional to my arsenal. When resin is overreacting, nothing gets down the lane and still comes back like urethane. Actually shot 289 with it third game last night. Previously, I had tried just about every other urethane ball and none of them hit like the Natural Pearl. They had the same characteristic urethane hook shape, but not the same pop on the backend. Since I only want to carry one urethane ball, the Tank will have to impress to be a keeper. Already, I would have preferred it to be pearl. We'll see. I have an idea what the core will do. The rest will depend on the cover.

#177642 - 03/28/13 04:15 PM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Found the teaser video below. Wow, looks great!

#177821 - 04/02/13 09:27 AM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY

Of course, Storm is not to be outdone. Ignore where the description page says "Hybrid Reactive", it is apparently Hybrid Urethane. First one ever?

With the lower RG and lower Diff (and understanding what I'd want urethane for in the first place) I think I'd choose the Motiv Tank between these two.

#177823 - 04/02/13 11:07 AM Re: Motiv Tank (Urethane) [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

I would have liked to see a comparison with the Natural Pearl in the Storm video. I am not surprised Storm would come up with a hybrid formula since they like to do that, but not sure of the benefit with a urethane piece, unless it is a reactive/urethane hybrid and not a urethane solid/pearl hybrid. I do like that they kept the Turbine core. It was a good match for the Natural Pearl.

The Motiv Tank looks earlier and stronger than I think I would like in the video, especially when compared to the Ascent Solid, which itself is surprisingly strong. When I switch to urethane, I want a cover that will get the ball down the lane. Personally, I am thinking I may wait for a pearl urethane from Motiv, or stick with my Natural Pearl.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 4 seconds ago
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.