BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177515 - 03/26/13 03:13 AM Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Hi everyone, first off just wanted to say thanks to all that has given me recommendations and advice on my game lately. I recently just posted up my first videos and have gotten lots of feedback. Just a short summary, I have been using a wrist brace for the past 10+ years and I recently took it off to try and get out of it eventually. I used it primarily when I started learning to bowl and joined my first league. My release was not consistent and lacked the wrist strength to cup the ball thus "breaking my wrist" and dropping the ball.

Its been about 3 weeks now and this video shows where im at currently. I feel like im bowling all over again and want to try the "Pro's release" of cup/cocked to uncupped/uncocked but seems overwhelming . These next vids as suggested by B-Hammer, show my pap and a line going to the top of my fingers. Just need help identifying exactly what type of bowler am I? Stroker? Tweener? What about my axis rotation and tilt?

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Sorry for the poor quality as I zoomed in to try and capture the dots on the ball. Thanks in advance!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#177516 - 03/26/13 03:16 AM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

Will someone help recommend me a dual angle layout for my next ball at the end of my fall league? Am I more rev dominant or speee dominant? Thanks

#177531 - 03/26/13 12:23 PM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Are you sure you marked your pap correctly? It doesn't look like your pap is stationary with the tape revolving around it.

This demonstrates how the tape is being used:

If you think you marked it correctly I'll try and put your footage into the overlay and get your numbers. With the way the tape is revolving I don't think I can get your revs.

#177543 - 03/26/13 04:02 PM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: B-Hammer]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Are you sure you marked your pap correctly? It doesn't look like your pap is stationary with the tape revolving around it.

If you think you marked it correctly I'll try and put your footage into the overlay and get your numbers. With the way the tape is revolving I don't think I can get your revs.

My PAP is correct. I placed the dot first and found my PAP and threw a couple balls and it was stationary until the ball started flaring up. The thing I wasnt sure though, was how far to put the tape and how much distance from the fingers holes the tape needed to be. I placed a dot maybe 1/4" above my ring finger holes and just placed dots until it went back to my PAP. Is this correct?

#177557 - 03/26/13 06:20 PM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Maybe it's just the quality of the video and limited lighting but the tape doesn't seem to rotate in the right direction which makes counting revolutions difficult. If you look at the sample video you can see the tape revolving like the hands on the clock where one end points at the pap, your tape is parallel to the direction of rotation kind of like how the earth orbits the sun. Are your inserts white? Maybe I'm looking at the finger holes.

Since you have the source video, can you post a still of the ball leaving your hand. Can at least get you your rotation and tilt.

#177566 - 03/27/13 01:28 AM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

From the provided video it looks like:

60* of rotation
18* of tilt
14.98 MPH (2.73 seconds from line to pins)
300 RPM (Assumed 30 FPS camera, 6 Frames for one Revolution)

This would make you rev dominant with standard rotation and standard tilt.

Rev Dominant use higher angle sums between 100 - 130 (slightly rev dominant to very dominant)

Use 1.25:1 ratios

My estimate is:

53 x 3 x 66 for symmetric on a THS, adjust the pin to pap for asymmetric.

#177567 - 03/27/13 02:10 AM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks B-Hammer! You da man! I appreciate you doing that for me. I didnt normally cock my wrist before and in doing that recently, it added quite a bit of tilt. Is 18* of tilt normal? Man when I schedule an appt w/Ron Hoppe, u should come down and i'll buy you a beer! Now I cant wait to try that layout when I get a new ball. In your opinion what type of ball will that work for...solid, pearl? Or doesnt really matter?

#177568 - 03/27/13 02:30 AM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: NaSTI]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

Both your tilt and rotation are at the high side of normal, but normal.

When you go see Ron bring an undrilled ball, he'll want to check your stats and recommend a layout then can drill your new ball, I went off of Mo's guide but someone with Ron's experience will trump my interpretation of the stats. (http://haleysproshop.com/proshop.htm)

As far as what ball it depends on the lanes and pattern. Do you know what your going to be bowling on and what's been working for you the best?

#177569 - 03/27/13 03:34 AM Re: Updated Video to show axis rotation and tilt [Re: B-Hammer]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
Both your tilt and rotation are at the high side of normal, but normal.
As far as what ball it depends on the lanes and pattern. Do you know what your going to be bowling on and what's been working for you the best?

I wont be able to get a new ball just yet, was actually waiting until end of my league when I cash in, lol. Were in 2nd place but only behind by 3 games. So im sure were gonna get some moneyback even if we come in 2nd..

I only bowl on THS conditions both AMF and Brunswick Pro Anvil Lanes. The Rico layout has been working well for me on both houses, but I see alot more backend in the Brunswick house. My mosg aggressive ball currently is an IQ Tour which isnt really that aggressive. Would like to have a step up ball from that and use your layout or if Ron recommends otherwise. Again thanks for all your help!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 05/25/20 06:01 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.