BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177343 - 03/20/13 10:16 PM Please Help Me Out
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 24/m/NJ
Been a look time viewer of these forums, I figured it would be nice to finally join them

I've realized I'm not as accurate as I want to be. I'm practicing as much as I can and focusing more and more on my target. I've seen improvements, but I feel like the THS masks a lot of bowler's inconsistencies. I've taken it upon myself to really study my game and see what I can improve upon. I was hoping to get some feedback.

I apologize for the quality of the video. The back view I was alone and was able to prop up the camera on the table, and the side view I had my fiance use her phone. I really appreciate your help and I truly love these forums and the sport with a passion.

12-13 Season:
Avg: 208 (Took a 6 month layoff to finish school only bowling half the season)
Series: 698

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic
15 lb Virtual Gravity Nano
15 lb Columbia 300 White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#177364 - 03/21/13 02:23 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
So I saw few things that stuck out to me. The first was that it may help a little to have your 4th step also be A cross step. You do it on your 2nd step also. It'll help keep you hip out of the way on the downswing as well.

Next it's generally a good idea to try and keep your head on the same plane throughout the course of the approach. This allows the eyes to only have adjust on one plane the, horizontal one. If your head position keeps changing that means the brain has to try and adjust both in the vertical and horizontal planes. The way to fix this is to get lower with your legs early in your approach and stay there throughout your approach and through your release and follow through and all that good stuff.

The last thing I saw was that it appeared to me that you were pulling the ball through the downswing.This could be brought on by you feeling rushed or the quicker tempo of Your last couple of steps. This combo could also be why you lost your balance a little in the one video as well as why you finish a good foot or so from the line. My recommendation would be either to slow up those last few steps or to be wait for the ball to reach the apex of the backswing and start to come down.

Aside from those I think you definitely got some good stuff. This game is all about the details and small changes. Lol Hope that helps.

The Demolition Man
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#177367 - 03/21/13 03:34 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

DemolitionMan - Thanks so much. I really appreciate the advice.

If you notice in the back view I almost do a hop with my foot at the end and I became off balance. I realized it was because I was sticking on the approach which effected my slide. I no longer become off balance as much and I am actually extremely surprised how much better I finish. You can see that more in the second video, I switched from a used up S8 sole to an S10 and the results have been amazing. Really fixed that off balance problem.

I have league tonight and I will try to implement more knee bend. I think that's one of the things I can fix right away.

I never really noticed the quick tempo before or the head on the same plane, but now that you mentioned it I see it very much so. I'm going to try to slow my 3rd and 4th step down a tad. There are times that I pull the ball and that's probably because of feeling rushed.

Thank you so much, it's always good to have a trained eye watch you bowl.

12-13 Season:

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic

#177381 - 03/22/13 10:41 AM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

Just to update from last night. I went with more knee bend and I was getting a lot of power on the ball. I was hitting the pins closer to 17 mph and sometimes 18 mph and the first two games I was leaving a lot of corner pins. 197, 195 the first two games. As I began to adjust and slowed down the speed, closer 15-16 mph, I was shredding the pocket. It was like a light switch went on after that and I bowled 245. That game definitely felt like it took me out of this slump I've been in.

I noticed with more knee bend I was able to hit my mark much more. That was probably because of my head being on the same plane. I can definitely see my scores going up from here. I will start working on cross step on my fourth step in practice.

12-13 Season:

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic

#177392 - 03/22/13 04:59 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
What I see is a short 3rd step causing a short backswing. If you are pulling the ball down you do it smoothly. Your 1st and 2nd steps are good (maybe too long of a pushaway).

2nd step

3rd step, notice the length of the 3rd step of Patrick Allen. And how far back the ball has travel.

4th step, Ideally the ball height should be top of head or above but because of the short 3rd step you have a low backswing.

Release, you have a good knee bend and everything looks good.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#177459 - 03/25/13 01:18 AM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

sp3wr - Thanks of the great analysis. I'm going to practice tomorrow and work on my third step. I actually watched a video analysis a coach did for me over 7 years ago and although I fixed many flaws in my game, he mentions the third step as well. It seems that needs to be the one to work on.

It's funny, in that video he gave me an analysis of my RPM's. It was 292, which was he states is very low. Not to go off on a tangent, but aren't most pros in the range of 300-450 rpms? I admit 292 is kinda low, and I'm pretty sure I'm more around 350 now since I corrected many flaws in my game since then, but the coach I had made it seem I should be throwing 450-500 rpms. He also compared me with Patrick Allen as well which I find interesting that after all these years I still get compared with his game. Guess that's why I've always liked P.A.

12-13 Season:

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic

#177776 - 04/01/13 01:02 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

Here is a new video of the back view, taken last Monday:

One thing you can really notice is my arm swing is higher than from the first video, but right now it's generally the same for everything else. I will be taking new video tonight. Will be getting a new ball drilled and testing it out.

12-13 Season:

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic

#177780 - 04/01/13 02:18 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: kosh525

It's funny, in that video he gave me an analysis of my RPM's. It was 292, which was he states is very low. Not to go off on a tangent, but aren't most pros in the range of 300-450 rpms? I admit 292 is kinda low, and I'm pretty sure I'm more around 350 now since I corrected many flaws in my game since then, but the coach I had made it seem I should be throwing 450-500 rpms.

Are you a touring pro? If so then 292 is on the low end, among league bowlers it's upper-mid as far as I'm concerned...

#177783 - 04/01/13 03:41 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: 56bird]
kosh525 Offline
Junior Master

This guy wanted me to crank the ball like crazy. The way he was talking in the video it was like I should be Robert Smith cranking the ball as much as possible without any regard for my body or accuracy on the ball. Take it, he had some good points in the video (I used to raise my arms over my head in my pushaway, the ball was behind my back, I had very little knee bend.)

I don't think I need any more revs to be successful right now. I mean, if all of a sudden I was doing everything right and my rev rate increased I wouldn't complain. My problem is consistency. Sometimes it is a struggle to hit my mark. It really is. I think it has a lot to do with my bowling ball fit and my ball hanging in my hand longer than it should sometimes.

Tonight I am getting my new ball drilled and will be testing it out. I really am hoping that this is the end of my thumb problems, or at the very least most of my thumb problems. I should take a picture and post it on here just to show you how bad the thumb is.

12-13 Season:

Current Arsenal:
15 lb Storm Frantic

#177784 - 04/01/13 03:53 PM Re: Please Help Me Out [Re: kosh525]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
It's never a bad thing to be able to apply a higher range of rev rate to a bowling ball. However, whoever this guy was, needs to remember that players on tour are generally very rev dominant. 300rpm is would be a little above average for league bowlers, and from what you say about your ball speed, you're virtually matched up. At most you're slightly dominant one way or the other.
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.