BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176870 - 03/06/13 10:14 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: Mark L]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Mark L, I think you have the best approach I have seen on this website. Timing is pro level, you walk a straight line ,great balance a lot of good things going on here.
But, you lose a lot when your going into your slide. You lose some of your forward lean and you raise up during and after your release.

Is it difficult to swing the ball? Losing your forward lean will make you unintentionally pull the shot,grab the ball and loft the ball. Laying the ball down is today's game.It will also be easier to stay under the ball when you keep the forward lean.

Try to keep the same forward lean when the ball is at the top of your back swing as when you release the ball.

As I said earlier a lot of good thing going on here keep up the good work.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176878 - 03/07/13 08:42 AM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: CoachJim]
RickSchott Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: 43 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I think if you lost some weight and started using your legs more you can go as far as you want in this sport.

I am recommending the weight loss because I was in your situation and didn't lose the weight and tore the patella tendon in both of my knees because I was too heavy and don't want to see the same happen to anyone else.

I resemble that remark. I tell people there are about 260 reasons I don't have better kneebend cry Why do I have to be such a good cook, with such a comfy couch? Big Wes has been getting on the show more lately but every time he speaks, it's something about his knee, and unless it's "TV effect" he's a little bigger around the waist than I am.
High Sanctioned Series 803, High Sanctioned Game 299

#176883 - 03/07/13 12:11 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: Mark L]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
You do have good tempo and timing- you hit up on the ball occasionally, but probably not too often. I hate to say it, but if you do lose the weight Jim suggested, you will last longer at a high level in this sport. Finding one bowler who's heavy (Wes) is fine, but look at Norm Duke, PDW, Parker Bohn, and Amleto. I don't think any of them have put on a pound in 25 years, and they're still at or near the top of the game.
Hey, I could stand to lose a little around the waist, too.

Bowl up a Storm!

#176884 - 03/07/13 12:14 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: Mark L]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I can echo the knees thing, but mine goes also to playing football in college and wrecking the crap outta mine (which also lends to the weight - vicious cycle)

smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Siege/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#176904 - 03/07/13 11:41 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: spr3wr]
Mark L Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Texas
Thanks for the screen shot. I didn't realize the forward lean issue until I saw the yellow markings. That's a big help. I've been working on weight loss and strength training. Are there any good practice drills to help with the forward lean?

#176957 - 03/09/13 10:44 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: Mark L]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Just work on keeping your shoulders a little lower. More forward lean.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#176958 - 03/09/13 11:24 PM Re: Looking for feedback [Re: spr3wr]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
This is why I was saying he needs to lose some weight before trying to progress too much farther, or risk severe wear and tear on his knees. If you look at the left most clip with the markings showing his forward lean and look at his knee position, and then look at the right most picture where he has lost his forward tilt and notice the knee position there. If he can bend his right knee more while going into the slide he will be able to maintain the forward spine tilt. The lack of knee bend is what is causing him and many others to rear up at the line.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Leagues that simply aren't social :(
by MDLee3 - Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Brunswick sold
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:27 PM
what will become of AMF
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:21 PM
Trying to get back into it!
by SubaruWRX - Yesterday at 05:23 PM
Ball Damage and a Question
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 02:04 PM
need some coaching
by mmalsed - Yesterday at 11:23 AM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - 08/20/14 10:19 PM
Confused I have been at this
by Rick S - 08/20/14 06:59 PM
Quiet Eye
by Doogie - 08/20/14 09:04 AM
Approach and release
by axel - 08/20/14 01:52 AM
Help me choose a new bag
by Lizard75 - 08/19/14 08:05 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.