BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176821 - 03/05/13 04:47 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: Eternal Bowler]
CGiamarusti Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 17/F/Chicago, Illinois
It seems like you push off on the third step. When I got put into the five step approach I was told the second step, and that's usually what is taught. If you wanted to try pushing off on the second step, pretend like there is a string from your ball down to your foot, so that when one moves, the other moves too. Your form is pretty good though!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176863 - 03/06/13 06:24 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: CGiamarusti]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/OH
Hi Cassie. The reason why my timing is late is because when I push off, I push more or less rather out, so it takes a while for the ball to drop into the swing and catch up with my feet. When I first did a 4-step approach, I pushed the ball up so that it would be, height-wise, above my head. As you can imagine, it took a long time for the ball to get into the swing. My swing was cut off to where it was about the height of my mid-back, sometimes lower.

Re-watching the video (the original file on my computer) now, though, I see what you mean. If it had not been for that push-off being a step late, my approach would be smoother.

HG: 190
HS: 516 (143-183-190)

Taking my game to the next level every step of the way.
Bowling regularly for 2+ years.

http://www.youtube.com/eternalbowler

#176886 - 03/07/13 01:07 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: Eternal Bowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Eternal Bowler
Hi Cassie. The reason why my timing is late is because when I push off, I push more or less rather out, so it takes a while for the ball to drop into the swing and catch up with my feet. When I first did a 4-step approach, I pushed the ball up so that it would be, height-wise, above my head. As you can imagine, it took a long time for the ball to get into the swing. My swing was cut off to where it was about the height of my mid-back, sometimes lower.
Re-watching the video (the original file on my computer) now, though, I see what you mean. If it had not been for that push-off being a step late, my approach would be smoother.

Even with the push away going straight out, the ball should be fully into the swing (all the weight of the ball should be in the right hand with the left hand no longer on the ball) by the time the weight of your body transfers to your right foot on that first step with your right foot. Right now you are late and it causes you to add some muscle to correct your timing mid approach.

You have a lot of talent, but a slight timing change will make you much more smooth as well as much more accurate/powerful.

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 4
Career 800 series - 4
High Scratch Series - 823

#176931 - 03/08/13 09:29 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: sk8shorty01]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

(Sorry that I'm late in replying!)

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
You have a lot of talent...
...Huh? rotfl Thanks!
...[B]ut a slight timing change will make you much more smooth as well as much more accurate/powerful.
This is very true and I agree with you.
Even with the push away going straight out, the ball should be fully into the swing (all the weight of the ball should be in the right hand with the left hand no longer on the ball) by the time the weight of your body transfers to your right foot on that first step with your right foot. Right now you are late and it causes you to add some muscle to correct your timing mid approach.
That is definitely something I need to keep in mind tomorrow when I go to league; hopefully this change will aid me in maintaining this streak I've had for the past few weeks; no jinx intended!

#177644 - 03/28/13 07:23 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

FYI everyone, I deleted my Vimeo account. I now officially have a YouTube! The video has been transferred to my YouTube and is unlisted, but should work.

#177647 - 03/28/13 09:15 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: Eternal Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your timing is about a step late, try to get to where the ball is on your third step by your second step. Your push away is deliberate and slow, you start it at the right time, but it is taking too long to get the ball into the swing. Try not pushing up and forward as much, and let the ball drop into the swing after your elbow lines up with the front of your chest, as it is your elbow is too far out in front which is why it is taking so long to get the ball into the swing. Just slightly forward with the elbow, the drop the ball into the swing this will help speed the ball up into the back swing and allow you enough time to let the swing take it's full course.

#177705 - 03/30/13 08:34 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: CoachJim]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Your timing is about a step late, try to get to where the ball is on your third step by your second step.
CoachJim, since my video was posted a month ago, I have been working on this literally every week since as correct timing means that much to me.
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Your push away is deliberate and slow, you start it at the right time, but it is taking too long to get the ball into the swing. Try not pushing up and forward as much, and let the ball drop into the swing after your elbow lines up with the front of your chest, as it is your elbow is too far out in front which is why it is taking so long to get the ball into the swing. Just slightly forward with the elbow, the drop the ball into the swing this will help speed the ball up into the back swing and allow you enough time to let the swing take it's full course.
Basically, a hinged push away, right?

I truly regret to inform everyone that I won't be able to work on my techniques until the 13th of April; I have a wrist brace I am using...and not for bowling. I went for a doctor's appointment because I am/was still experiencing tingling in my ring finger. I had a nasty hand injury about 3 weeks ago and last week I must have aggravated it (didn't give enough time to rest it after the injury). Combine that with a not-so-good ball fit (new ball I used for only 3 games) and that is a truly deadly combination. So basically I have to abstain from bowling (he he, I make bowling sound like such a bad thing to participate in) for two weeks. *Not so amused*

#178672 - 05/18/13 09:40 PM Re: Me Bowling, 2-23-13 [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

Whew, long time, no update. Still haven't managed to bowl, but now the YouTube version has been deleted as well. No worries, as there will be a new video update coming up very soon in which this video makes a reprise! I'm absolutely floored by the amount of views this thread got, by the way. It seems I must have gotten quite a bit of attention here, more than I planned or bargained for, but no matter.

I've been planning to really practice these tips everyone here told me about, but the last time I bowled was around a month after this video was "filmed" and I have a few videos from that time period. As of late, I've been putting together a progression/compilation video comprised of videos dating back to early January 2012, with the latest either from mid-late March 2013, mid-late May 2013, or late May 2013. I do in fact "shadow practice" in which I practice my approach at home without a ball, shoes, or [a] lane(s), so maybe this will help me when I'm out on the lanes.

I hope to get in some practice and get some things accomplished over the summer. Thank you all so much for giving me these tips; they made/will make such a huge difference for my bowling career. Cheers!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 07:06 AM
Brunswick sold
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:48 PM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 02:05 PM
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - 07/23/14 11:55 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:17 PM
A loss in my local association
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:12 PM
Suggestions on a better angel
by mmalsed - 07/21/14 11:41 AM
Two years or no competitive action
by SteveH - 07/19/14 11:41 AM
push away tips
by Dennis Michael - 07/18/14 05:32 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/14 02:41 PM
Junior gold, Buffalo, NY
by Smooth Stroker - 07/17/14 06:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.