BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176799 - 03/04/13 09:07 PM Too much forward thumb pitch?
lcpounds Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 43/M/St. Louis
Hi All,

I love reading bowling articles, watching instructional videos, etc.

I read many of Ron Clifton's articles including his concept that many bowlers have too much reverse pitch and can benefit from forward pitch.

I have done this and it seems that the callous on the right side of my thumb (to the right of the top of my thumb)seems to be getting larger. My driller gave me a bit of left pitch but the callous seems to be getting bigger to the point where I have had to regularly shave it down and use larger thumb holes (I use the Vise I.T. slugs).

Is it probable that too much forward pitch is putting my thumb in the awkward position and causing the growing callous? With the cold weather and dry skin, the callous split last week and I noticed a ton of pressure at the middle point of the callous (which is at the knuckle).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Louis
Storm IQ Tour Pearl
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia 300 Eruption
Columbia 300 Momentum
Hammer Wrachet

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176800 - 03/04/13 10:20 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: lcpounds]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
I am personally at 1/4 forward with a relatively short span, i clear the ball fine. i think it depends on the person, how much grip pressure they use, any of the operators on here like sk8shorty01 could give you more advice than i can
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#176806 - 03/04/13 11:19 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: lcpounds]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Forward pitch allows you to relax your hand in the ball more, which will allow you to loosen up your armswing and be more accurate. It sounds to me like you're still knuckling the ball (bending your thumb forward while in the thumb hole). Try keeping your thumb nail pressed against the back of your thumb hole throughout your swing.
The location of the callous also tells me you're turning your hand early- while it's still in the ball. Keep your hand behind it until your thumb clears the hole, and your callous will shrink.
As we get older, our hands lose strength and flexibility, so to combat this, we use forward pitch in the thumb hole. I'm at about 1/8 reverse, but my span is about 4 3/4 and 4 7/8, so my next move will probably be to cut about 1/8 - 1/4 off the span and go to about 1/8 forward. I hate to redrill a dozen balls like this, so I'll have to experiment with one first. It's what I did when I went from 5/8 reverse down to 1/8. Drilled a ball with 3/8 reverse, then one with 1/8. Then after a game or two, had all my stuff redone.

Bowl up a Storm!

#176819 - 03/05/13 04:20 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: Fin09]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 16/M/OH
I don't mean to barge in on this thread, but my bowling quest does pertain (to an extent) this thread.

Does forward thumb pitch allow a bowler, especially one who is of less strength (this applies to me), to throw heavier ball weights? I'm getting my new ball drilled in either the end of this month or the beginning of next. I'm planning on upgrading in two ways: 1) Moving my ball weight from 10 to 12 pounds, and 2) Converting from a conventional to a fingertip.

Because forward thumb pitch, in addition to reverse finger pitches more or less force(s) you to relax your hand, would this be recommended for me if I, as a bowler who is not known for his physical strength, was going with a fingertip span and moving up in ball weight?

HG: 190
HS: 516 (143-183-190)

Taking my game to the next level every step of the way.
Bowling regularly for 2+ years.

http://www.youtube.com/eternalbowler

#176823 - 03/05/13 07:50 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: dgordon0408]
lcpounds Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for your input!!
Storm IQ Tour Pearl
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia 300 Eruption
Columbia 300 Momentum
Hammer Wrachet

#176826 - 03/05/13 08:55 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: Fin09]
lcpounds Offline
Bumper Bowler

Hi Fin09,

Thanks for your reply, I had not thought about knuckling the ball as I can honestly say I cannot feel myself doing that...I try to keep my hand relaxed with the exception of slightly pressing on the ball with my index finger when I want to cup my wrist more. I see your point about turning my hand early since I fight coming around the ball a lot. I am often told that I have a lot of hand - although I don't feel like I do, in fact I often try to hook it less...but again, do fight coming around the ball often! Outside of that I have a pretty strong (physically) wrist and hand...I say that to share that my forward pitch increases were due to thinking that moving the pitches forward would help keep the ball on my hand and I wouldn't have to fight the temptation to squeeze the ball. I will try pressing my thumbnail to see how that works! Thanks for the thoughts. My span is very close to yours - about 4 3/4" to 4 5/8". I hear what you mean re: having balls slugged and re-drilled...I just did 6 of mine with the current pitches...and it would just suck to have to re-do them again...an option would be to have a new thumb slug (I use the Vise I.T. system) done with less forward pitch to see if that helps. Thanks again!
Storm IQ Tour Pearl
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia 300 Eruption
Columbia 300 Momentum
Hammer Wrachet

#176854 - 03/06/13 03:50 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: lcpounds]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You might be turning the ball with your thumb still in the ball. How about a picture of your thumb so I can see where the callus is.

One other thing it might be is you might be bending the thumb in the hole you can look at your thumb as it enters the ball, most people who bend their thumb in the hole, will actually start bending it before it even enters the hole.

#176868 - 03/06/13 07:38 PM Re: Too much forward thumb pitch? [Re: CoachJim]
lcpounds Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks Coach! I am adding the pic as a file to this post. Your comment makes sense, I will pay closer attention, but to my recollection, I don't think I bend my thumb, but I cannot say for sure...
Storm IQ Tour Pearl
Storm Tropical Breeze
Columbia 300 Eruption
Columbia 300 Momentum
Hammer Wrachet

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurfacing the Storm Byte
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Summer Leagues 2014 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:31 PM
Trying to understand this statement
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Very Strange Ball Track Problem
by hoppy - Yesterday at 02:09 PM
Brunswick sold
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 06:33 AM
Any rules on speed of play?
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:17 PM
A loss in my local association
by SteveH - 07/22/14 04:12 PM
Suggestions on a better angel
by mmalsed - 07/21/14 11:41 AM
Two years or no competitive action
by SteveH - 07/19/14 11:41 AM
push away tips
by Dennis Michael - 07/18/14 05:32 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 07/18/14 02:41 PM
Junior gold, Buffalo, NY
by Smooth Stroker - 07/17/14 06:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.