BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176314 - 02/19/13 10:56 AM Re: Hypothetical Arsenals [Re: Eternal Bowler]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 57/male/newcastle:uk
two houses, two bags, dry wood lanes Brunswick Control,Black widow, well polished , T Zone or WD spare, in bag one.
Bag two for medium synthetic, Motiv Cruel le, Avalanche Slide,Global 900 Wisdom, and the NV for spares.
Pretty much know whats going to be there, so don't over load my mind on what to play with

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176317 - 02/19/13 02:52 PM Re: Hypothetical Arsenals [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I carry 6-8, and on good nights, 4-6 of them never see the light. Lately, though, in my Thursday center, I'm changing balls each game. Lucid, Anarchy, then Nano Pearl. I have a 6 ball bag, and 2 doubles that have my "extremes" in them. One has my Nano and Invasion, and the other has my Hyroad and Nano Pearl. My 6 ball bag has my equipment that falls between the extremes.

Bowl up a Storm!

#176325 - 02/19/13 05:56 PM Re: Hypothetical Arsenals [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Generally speaking, I would recommend building an arsenal based on a range of materials (particle, reactive, urethane), covers (solid, hybrid, pearl), RGs (high, medium, low), and Diffs (high, medium, low) to match the conditions you reasonably expect to bowl. Think balls, not brands. But, if you find a brand you like, and it works well for you, that is a plus.

If you only bowl in one league at one bowling center, and they are reasonably consistent in putting down the same oil pattern, all you might need is a benchmark ball (or a specific ball for that pattern) and a spare ball.

If you are just learning to bowl, meaning hitting the pocket consistently is still a challenge, I would suggest leaning toward weaker balls, which can later become your dry lanes balls.

The primary goal in buying more than one ball is to give you a different reaction, a different look on the lane. If you start off with a plan, and make smart purchases, you will do well.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#176337 - 02/19/13 08:08 PM Re: Hypothetical Arsenals [Re: Joe Bowler]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 20/M/OH
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
If you are just learning to bowl, meaning hitting the pocket consistently is still a challenge, I would suggest leaning toward weaker balls, which can later become your dry lanes balls.
Hitting the pocket consistently is still a challenge, and you're in luck because I do exactly that. The ball I currently use is a Slingshot, and the ball I am switching to is a Meanstreak (both are by the same brand, merely by coincidence), which is stronger. Both are pearls and could be used on medium to dry lane conditions.

Basically, I could use, for instance, my Meanstreak as the benchmark ball and then some sort of spare ball (if we got the money for it, that is), right? I probably should keep all the weights the same so as to develop some sort of consistency. (I read another thread about someone who wanted to expand his arsenal and gave him advice as appropriately as possible; I suggested that every ball he gets be the same weight as the heaviest in his collection).
14-15: 139

HG: 193 (?)
HS: 516 (143-183-190) (?)

Bowled regularly in high school, am on hiatus for college.

#176386 - 02/21/13 10:13 AM Re: Hypothetical Arsenals [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
The primary goal in buying more than one ball is to give you a different reaction, a different look on the lane. If you start off with a plan, and make smart purchases, you will do well.

Just to build on this last point...

Scoring high on a consistent basis comes down to one thing: carry. Carry comes from the ball imparting enough energy to the pins. If the ball doesn't hit with sufficient force, you're not going to carry. You won't get the strings of strikes needed to score well.

When you bowl, your ball goes through 3 phases: skid, hook, and roll. You want the ball going into its roll phase just before it hits the pocket. If it starts too soon, it's going to roll out and lose its energy. If it starts too late, the ball is going to "smack" the pins rather than drive through them, also causing you to lose carry.

So when Joe talks about getting a different look, what he's meaning is getting a ball that matches up well to the conditions so that the ball is going into that roll phase at the right time. Naturally the "right" ball is going to be different based on the oil conditions of the lanes, thus you want to have a variety of balls so you can find out the best matchup.

Edited by Dan300 (02/21/13 10:14 AM)
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.