BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176097 - 02/11/13 11:02 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: Fin09]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: Fin09
Yeah, no offense from me, either- it just looked like your release, ball, and alignment matched up really well with what you were bowling on.

I hear you. A few weeks ago I got handled two games out of three by a bowler who averages in the high 180's. His ball and line choice matched up super well (it was a Storm Lucid) IIRC, he was playing around 2nd arrow but that ball would recover from 1st arrow or hold in to the 3rd. Eventually that petered out and I managed to get a point in the third game. When it was over I told him "very good bowling" and that was that smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176099 - 02/11/13 11:26 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler

I noticed the same thing watching the video. No flak intended, but on house shots like that, you could probably get lined up with your plastic spare ball and strike just as easily. The magic there is the oil pattern, not the ball.

Not AS easily but I could make it close enough so the point isn't worth arguing. I'd probably be playing closer to 7 or 8, with less recovery but more hold, and ultimately less carry. I do this fairly often as a way of challenging myself, plus I *like* rolling plastic on strike shots.

Concerning your release, all of the above suggestions are good, but will require an investment of time to learn, practice, and maintain. Depending on your goals and time available, it may be easier to just buy a wrist support. I like the Storm Gadget. It only limits how much your wrist opens, not how much it cups. So, you can still have some cup/uncup wrist action.
I used wrist supports many years ago. Made a promise to an old coach of mine to throw them all away and I did. I agree it would be a shortcut but as my scores these days are decent by my standards, I'm willing to put the time in. Some of my favorite pros wear some kinda wrist gadget, I'm not putting them down... but my issue is technique not wrist strength and I'm willing to fix it the hard way.

Also, to help improve your accuracy, you might consider bowling on a more challenging shot, perhaps a different bowling center, or a sport shot league. It is easy to get lazy when every ball hits the pocket.
The video caught me on an "easy day" where as Fin mentioned, I matched up really well to whatever shot was out there based on whatever traffic the lane had seen. Also the video is (obviously) heavily edited, if you didn't notice my spare ball rolling back on the ball return between strike shots smile The only league I bowl in is the classic league which is much more challenging. The lanes tend to be more oily to start, there is lots of traffic on the right hand side with guys using lots of hand and aggressive bowling balls and the lanes transition fast most nights. There are a bunch of guys with higher rev rates or lower ball speed (or both) playing left of me, if I move parallel left I often move into their traffic zone and it's big-4 or the like. I think high average in the league (40 bowlers) is around 224, some of these guys average 230+ in other houses. That said, I'd love to bowl on sport shots or better yet in a sport shot league (nothing like going from a 212 average to 160, right?) but there's nothing around here right now that I know of. I've begged them to put something down for me to practice on ("I'll PAY ya to do it!") but nothing doing. They're scared of the machine I think.

Thanks for the reply.

#176110 - 02/11/13 01:36 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: RickSchott
The video caught me on an "easy day" where as Fin mentioned, I matched up really well to whatever shot was out there based on whatever traffic the lane had seen. Also the video is (obviously) heavily edited, if you didn't notice my spare ball rolling back on the ball return between strike shots smile The only league I bowl in is the classic league which is much more challenging.

I think that is ideal, to have one place to practice/bowl where you feel challenged, and another where you feel relaxed. Together, these will help you to stay loose on the challenging shot, and more disciplined on the easy shot.

In any case, it is nice to have a shot sometimes where you make it look easy. That way, if you happen to make an errant shot, and it misses the pocket, you can tell any observers it was an "area check". And, if it comes back for a strike instead, you can tell them it was a "foul line adjustment". wink
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#176142 - 02/12/13 11:57 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

A little fun at my own expense.

#176143 - 02/12/13 01:13 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
ecub Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 44/m/usa (IL)
Originally Posted By: RickSchott
Coming out of the ball on top, almost in a "suitcase" type grip. Scores are ok these days but viewing that release makes me a little ill. Had no idea my hand was doing that until I watched video, how to I break the habit?

I just have a hard time getting through your bobbing/bouncing. laugh Just giving you constructive crap. LOL
Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver 15# (@4000)
Storm Natural Pearl 15# (@4000)

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Power Tweener)

THS: 207
HGS: 279
HSS: 734

#176146 - 02/12/13 03:52 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: ecub]
56bird Offline

Thanks. With constructive feedback like that I should be ready for the tour in no time.

#176156 - 02/12/13 09:10 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
Coming out of the ball on top, almost in a "suitcase" type grip.

From what I can see you don't do it on every shot. Sometimes it looks like you come off the side of the ball. The shots you do come off the top you may be trying to hook the ball too much. As mentioned, it does look like you're matched-up well so it's something you can gradually work on. Starting out with focusing on turning the ball more with the fingers and keeping the thumb up during follow-thru may be enough to reduce the topping. Also, at the bottom of the swing try relaxing your grip and break the wrist back just enough to help your thumb get out before you turn the ball (more fingers less wrist). Summer is usually a good time to work on a release.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#176158 - 02/12/13 09:35 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: VFF57]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: VFF57
Quote:
Coming out of the ball on top, almost in a "suitcase" type grip.

From what I can see you don't do it on every shot. Sometimes it looks like you come off the side of the ball. The shots you do come off the top you may be trying to hook the ball too much....Summer is usually a good time to work on a release.

Again I want to thank the wonders of technology, without video I would not have known I was doing this at all. I did kind of think some shots were worse than others, thanks for the confirmation on that. Still, I don't like any of them. Good advice on holding off til summer, I can only concentrate on so many things at once and some things may be more important right now....

#176196 - 02/14/13 09:32 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
56bird Offline

Incidentally, if you felt I had too much area in the first video, this one from later in the same session (where I was trying to get a little more left, play more left-right and create more angle) should make you blow a hole through your underpants. I do apologize for the couple/few shots that were repeated in the video, I'm not very good at things like "Windows Movie Maker" or "paying attention". I didn't mean to perpetrate a fraud.

Enjoy (or mock) smile

PS I still hate my release.

Edited by RickSchott (02/14/13 09:34 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.