BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176090 - 02/11/13 10:00 AM terminology
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
I've been studying the dual angle layout method. I've measured the balls I already have for the angles and pin to pap distances. Now I'm ready to watch exactly how the different parameters affect ball reaction. Just to make sure I understand what I'm looking for, I could use some clarification or confirmation on the following:

the 3 phases are skid, hook and roll with some transitions between them.

a more acute drilling angle causes the ball to roll sooner. does this mean that the transition from hook to roll happens more quickly but the hook amount is the same or does the ball not hook as much?

a shorter pin to pap distance increases flare. am I correct in assuming that this means more total hook?

a more acute angle to the VAL causes the ball to rev quicker and transition sooner. This is sort of a big flywheel vs small flywheel effect and the ball transitions from skid to hook sooner? or from hook to roll sooner?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176103 - 02/11/13 11:45 AM Re: terminology [Re: TominNJ]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
http://tamerbowling.com/index.php/how-critical-is-drilling-anyway/

Drilling Angle: The smaller this angle, the earlier the ball will want to get into a roll. The larger the angle, the later the ball will get into a roll.

If you throw slow, you want the ball to delay getting in a roll otherwise you will lose all kinds of energy. If you throw slow and you throw a ball drilled with a small drilling angle, donít be surprised if the ball is over/under. Conversely, if you throw fast and have a very large angle, donít be surprised when the ball seems like a [censored].

Val Angle: The lower the Angle to VAL, the quicker it will rev up and transition faster at the breakpoint. Youíre lowering the RG and increasing the differential. The higher the Angle to VAL, the slower it will rev up and slower, smoother transition at the breakpoint.

Basically this controls how snappy the ball is, but like drilling angle you can over do it in which case you'll have roll out.

#176118 - 02/11/13 05:30 PM Re: terminology [Re: TominNJ]
NaSTI Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 33/M/Renton WA
Great explanation B-Hammer! Now to figure out how I want my next dry lane ball to be laid out.

#176127 - 02/11/13 10:08 PM Re: terminology [Re: TominNJ]
Fin09 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 47/M/Virginia Beach, VA
As far as pin to pap distances and how they relate to maximum flare, a 3 3/8" pin position will give you maximum flare on both a symmetrical and asymmetrical ball. Moving away from that position, whether closer to the pap or further away, will decrease the amount of Track flare you can expect. Track flare will decrease more on a symmetrical ball as you move away from that 3 3/8" leverage position than it will on an asymmetrical ball, so take that into account when choosing a layout.

Bowl up a Storm!

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ball Weight
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - 6 minutes 37 seconds ago
Subs wanted for fall virtual league
by Richie V. - Today at 02:13 PM
Lane transition and changing balls
by TheDemolitionMan - Today at 12:35 PM
Need some help with my release
by mmalsed - Today at 12:20 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Joe Bowler - Today at 10:58 AM
Shoes - Brunswick versus Dexter?
by Doogie - Today at 09:26 AM
Proper Thumb Pitch for a Semi-Roller convert?
by Joe Bowler - Today at 06:18 AM
Fall '14 virtual league announcements & discussion
by FuriousSam - Yesterday at 03:37 PM
Resurfacing my ball.
by VFF57 - Yesterday at 03:08 PM
Generic weight block (Core)
by MiggityMatt - Yesterday at 02:17 PM
Hard Knocks' Preview: Bowling with WRs
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 11:23 AM
Ebonite Cyclone
by SubaruWRX - 08/31/14 11:42 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.