BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176045 - 02/09/13 12:29 PM Fix That Hand Release!!!
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Coming out of the ball on top, almost in a "suitcase" type grip. Scores are ok these days but viewing that release makes me a little ill. Had no idea my hand was doing that until I watched video, how to I break the habit?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176058 - 02/10/13 12:51 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Watch these videos. When you go practice next time bowl one game doing one of these drills then one game with your full approach then back to one of the drills then back to your full approach.Keep doing so until you get your release correct.

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#176059 - 02/10/13 01:41 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
What also helped me a great deal was thinking about my thumb as a "guiding system". Point it towards your target and consciously keep thinking about it throughout your approach so you can override your muscle memory.

A more drastic (possibly better) approach would be the backup ball drill by Joe Slowinski http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_march_article_09.pdf

This one over corrects your normal release so that you and your memory may meet in the middle smile

#176060 - 02/10/13 01:52 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I'm not sure I'd change much of what you were doing on that lane condition- it looked like you had about 3 boards of area, and they all had arrows on them!

Bowl up a Storm!

#176069 - 02/10/13 08:19 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: Fin09]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: Fin09
I'm not sure I'd change much of what you were doing on that lane condition- it looked like you had about 3 boards of area, and they all had arrows on them!

Quite right sir, one of my "jobs" as a bowler is to play the lanes in such a way as to create maximum margin of error, and although I've received flak for saying as much before, with today's "magical" bowling balls and high-ratio house shots, that job is often pretty damn easy. Weakly in my defense, the video shows me warming up and intentionally playing some different lines but I can honestly admit I was spraying 'em.

I'm a realist though. I know that when you have two bowlers, one of which is precise to, say, 2 boards targeting, and one who is precise to, say, 6 boards targeting, when there are 6 or more boards of area provided by lane condition it's a tossup. I'd like to be the guy who is precise to 2 boards (preferrably less) for when there are two boards (or less) of area and the guy who is precise to 6 boards is in the weeds.

I know it's gonna be a long road but in the meantime I gotta fix this topping issue. Off to watch the videos posted above.

#176070 - 02/10/13 08:28 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: FruitFly]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: FruitFly

A more drastic (possibly better) approach would be the backup ball drill by Joe Slowinski http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_march_article_09.pdf

This one over corrects your normal release so that you and your memory may meet in the middle smile

That article is awesome. It explains exactly what my problem is with what I'm seeing in my video (better than I could) and a strategy to fix it, thank you.

#176072 - 02/10/13 08:46 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: spr3wr]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
Watch these videos. When you go practice next time bowl one game doing one of these drills then one game with your full approach then back to one of the drills then back to your full approach.Keep doing so until you get your release correct.

You gotta love Norm. Pint-sized but the heart of a WARRIOR and a real student AND teacher of the game. Been a long time since I've done a zero or one-step drill, don't know why it didn't occur to me to work on this in that way but it sure makes sense. Thanks.

#176074 - 02/10/13 09:25 PM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
For me what fixed that is reminding myself that the ball should feel the same on my fingertips a split second before release as it did at the bottom when I dropped it into my swing.
Try that as a swing thought....
Just mho///
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#176083 - 02/11/13 03:46 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: RickSchott
Originally Posted By: Fin09

Quite right sir, one of my "jobs" as a bowler is to play the lanes in such a way as to create maximum margin of error, and although I've received flak for saying as much before, with today's "magical" bowling balls and high-ratio house shots, that job is often pretty damn easy. Weakly in my defense, the video shows me warming up and intentionally playing some different lines but I can honestly admit I was spraying 'em.

I noticed the same thing watching the video. No flak intended, but on house shots like that, you could probably get lined up with your plastic spare ball and strike just as easily. The magic there is the oil pattern, not the ball.

Concerning your release, all of the above suggestions are good, but will require an investment of time to learn, practice, and maintain. Depending on your goals and time available, it may be easier to just buy a wrist support. I like the Storm Gadget. It only limits how much your wrist opens, not how much it cups. So, you can still have some cup/uncup wrist action.

Also, to help improve your accuracy, you might consider bowling on a more challenging shot, perhaps a different bowling center, or a sport shot league. It is easy to get lazy when every ball hits the pocket.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#176092 - 02/11/13 10:04 AM Re: Fix That Hand Release!!! [Re: 56bird]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah, no offense from me, either- it just looked like your release, ball, and alignment matched up really well with what you were bowling on.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.