BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175276 - 01/19/13 02:02 PM Introducing... me!
NoThumbNoProblem Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/York, PA
This is technically my second post/thread since I joined to ask a specific question, I tackled that first. A little about me: I come from Long Island, NY where I started bowling for fun at age 14 in a youth league. Used to throw a 10lb plastic off the wrong foot and all. When I went to College in PA I took a class on Bowling and learned how to bowl properly while still using house balls. After falling in love with the sport I joined a league with a friend and met some great people. I began Avg 140 in league and decided I wanted to learn how to throw a hook and at the time it was best to learn by throwing with just two fingers since I was using a plastic conventionally drilled. I wouldn't use a second hand, but just tuck the ball up during my backswing.

After a while I was able to "control" it enough to use it in league and somebody offered me an old Track Blue Heat they weren't using anymore. Instead of getting it plugged and redrilled I just continued bowling without my thumb. I was able to move up to a 165avg and continued bowling this way for the next year and a half.

After a while I decided I wanted to get a new ball and learn how to throw it traditionally so I bought an Ebonite Magic from eBay NIB for $50 shipped. As soon as I had it drilled I went down to the local house (now back on Long Island) and tried to throw with my thumb. I had the usual problems of breaking my wrist and getting my thumb stuck a few times and trying to force myself to learn this style in a day I ended up hurting my thumb a bit in the process. I had to put of thumb bowling for a while as I joined a league and with my thumb hurt the only way to bowl was without a thumb.

Eventually I was able to strengthen my wrist enough where I didn't have to bend my elbow to "tuck" the bowling ball up and still have control. For all that I do not use my thumb, I am not releasing in the usual cranker style associated with it. I do get high revs on the ball, but not by coming around it as much as getting a lot of roll. Fast-forward to the present and I am now in Denver,CO and still bowling without a thumb. While people often say that I am not taking bowling seriously or that I'm "just playing with it", I could not disagree more. I focus on my line, adjust to lane breakdown and changes, alter my speed and at times release and revs, and I am averaging 195 in my current league and have thrown a 298 and 740 series.

I welcome all criticism as I have heard it for the last 3 years, but hope to one day live in a bowling world where thumbless bowlers are looked at in the same manner as lefties, Sarge Easters, and back up bowlers and not as some novelty. Any questions I can answer about myself or anything else I am happy to respond. Thank you if you are still reading.
Track 300c (Pearl)
Storm Tropical Breeze
Brunswick Vis-A-Ball Lizard Eye

HG: 298
HS: 778

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.