BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175231 - 01/18/13 08:33 AM Trip to Paris
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
This weekend, I am planning a trip to Paris. Nope, not the country, but a tournament with that 47-foot oil pattern. Below is a link to the pattern graph.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/.../WTBA-paris.pdf

I am really hoping it plays like the pattern graph. If it does, it will be a rare opportunity to play straight inside of 15 on 47 feet of oil. That is uncharted territory for most lefties.

It will also be an excellent opportunity to test a theory I have about matching higher RG equipment to longer length patterns. If you think of covers, cores, and layouts in terms of releasing their energy early and slowly (solid, low RG, pin down) versus later and all at once (pearl, high RG, pin up), then I am thinking higher RG matches up better to longer patterns. Why burn up a solid, low RG ball's energy when it has virtually no chance of hooking any earlier? Why not save the punch for the end? That means starting off with what are considered the weakest balls in my arsenal on one of the longest patterns. I know that contradicts conventional wisdom, so it will be an interesting test.

I will know quickly from other bowler's ball reaction and my first few test shots in practice whether this strategy might work. I am expecting that 15 -> 5 will not make it back to the pocket. Nor, will 20 -> 10. Where I expect to have the best chance of scoring is 25 -> 15, then adjust 2:1 from there. That is a very tight, straight line, and I am sure it will feel like bowling in a phone booth since I am not used to that. But, it will be fun trying something different. The 3 balls I expect to get the most use of on this pattern are my Ascent Solid, Ascent Pearl (both high RG, low Diff), and Primal Impulse (high RG, high Diff) once the lanes open up.

One other thing I will have to watch is right handers playing 20 or deeper, using the same oil as the lefties. We'll see what happens...
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#175232 - 01/18/13 08:54 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
I'm sure you'll get the french to surrender laugh

Good luck with your theory.
I really don't think it contradicts anything, as long as you don't try to swing it and bring it I'd fund your research if I had the money smile

#175235 - 01/18/13 09:46 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thanks for the vote of confidence, FruitFly. Where I think using a polished, higher RG, pin up ball on a longer pattern contradicts conventional wisdom is that most bowler's reaction when their ball does not hook as much or as soon as they expect is to go in the bag for something stronger with more surface to try to make it hook like normal from their favorite starting and target position. I expect there will be some bowlers rolling high performance snow balls (sanded to the max) at the tournament for this reason. Instead, if the pattern plays as expected, and my strategy works, I will be shooting darts across the middle, with an entry level, polished pearl ball.

#175236 - 01/18/13 10:43 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You may also find success by playing straight up 6-8. I know I gravitate to that line on longer shots. It's much more controllable and you eliminate the over-under in the shot.

It's where I start on our House 44' shot until the lane opens. Then, you can go to your regular comfort zone with the out and in shot.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#175238 - 01/18/13 10:59 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, Dennis. The 47-foot Paris pattern graph looks pretty flat 2-10. The area of increasing oil appears to be 11-17, then it flattens out again, 18-20. It will be interesting to see how it plays, and if there are any significant changes in the pattern over the course of 6 games.

#175239 - 01/18/13 11:12 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I like your line of thinking Joe, as I always assume its better to use whatever the oil pattern gives you as an asset rather than to fight it and turn it into something its not. I'm curious however if you'll be able to get your ball to get into a roll soon enough. 47 feet of skid only allows 13 feet to hook and get into a strong roll. Just something I got to thinking about. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#175240 - 01/18/13 11:17 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
spillup24 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Philadelphia, PA
Paris is a very light oil pattern considering it's lenghth. The track area will be the best place to start.

#175242 - 01/18/13 12:11 PM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Concerning the volume of oil, if my test shot 20 -> 10 makes it back to the pocket, and the oil depletes rather than carries down, I would expect scores to be much higher. It would still be a tight shot, but not as tight as 25 -> 15. And, there would be plenty of room to move inside into the heavier oil.

I was thinking I should bring my VersaMax sanded 1000/dull to give me four different High RG balls with different covers (2 solid, 2 pearl) and different Diffs (2 low, 2 high). And, I should bring my Raptor Talon sanded 500/dull just in case the guys rolling the snow balls open up the midlane, or if carrydown becomes a factor, or if it is just plain hard to get the ball into a roll on the backend (thanks, Champ). And, with my spare ball that makes six. I think I am ready, now.

#175256 - 01/18/13 10:31 PM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
I think the best two tips I can give you for paris is to

1. Don't use much surface, especially if you're not changing lanes much. The pattern breaks down very quickly, no need to run yourself through multiple bowling balls and changing alignments every 5 frames if you can avoid it.

2. For a lefty like yourself, stay as far to the left as you can while still scoring. Righties will start laying down inside of 14-15 (possibly inside 20 if they're silly) and migrate quickly. The longer you can go without running into their track the better off you'll be.

You look like you've got those two ideas on the mind already, so you should be in good shape. smile Good luck, it's a fun pattern, and typically high scoring.

Edited by Kitten Latch (01/18/13 10:34 PM)
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#175264 - 01/19/13 07:57 AM Re: Trip to Paris [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thanks for the tips, KL. I checked the sheet, and it is going to be 8 games across 16 lanes (oops, was thinking it was 6 games). With the lighter volume of oil, and changing pairs, the bowler who gets lined up quickly on each new pair, and stays out of trouble on the first few shots, will have an advantage.

I am planning to start with my weakest ball, an Ascent Pearl (Pearl, High RG, Low Diff, 4000/polished). That should at least keep me in the pocket while I get comfortable with the shot. If the backends are clean, and stay that way, I should be able to use that ball for at least a few games. If the pattern opens up on the left side, and I have to start moving feet and target inside, or I am hitting the pocket but not carrying, I will likely switch to the Primal Impulse (Pearl, High RG, High Diff, 4000/polished). The biggest difference is a higher Diff, which should give me more boom on the backend, and help make the turn from a deeper angle. If all goes well, I will finish with that ball. But, I will have a couple High RG solids with me, Ascent Solid (Low Diff, 1000/dull), and VersaMax (High Diff, 1000/dull) in case the backends require a little more surface.

And, if all else fails, I will have my Raptor Talon (Low RG, High Diff, 500/dull) with me. Unfortunately, I have been to too many tournaments where the pattern did not play anything like the graph, or the left side was blocked out, or there was a machine malfunction, etc., so it pays to be ready for anything.

Btw, this challenge of matching equipment and strategy to various oil patterns and lane conditions is one of the things I love about the modern sport of bowling. Thank you all for your input. I will report back the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.