BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17496 - 10/16/03 01:19 PM Physical Conditioning/Bowling
Kenny13 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 42/m/New Orleans
Hi all! I am a firm believer in being in good physical condition, both for sports and general health. Before I seriously got into bowling about 18 months ago, I used to work out 4 or 5 times a week. Since I stopped working out on a regular basis and, unfortunately, eat more bowling alley food, I have started to put on a few pounds. Iím pretty much getting out of shape.

Has anyone had any problems mixing bowling and weightlifting? Iím not talking about bodybuilding, but even with a regular weightlifting regime you can lose some flexibility. I really want to start working out again without sacrificing any of the progress Iíve made with my game. And hopefully it may even help with bowling.

Does anyone out there have any experience in this that can help me? How about suggestions for bowling-specific exercises that may help as well.

Iím looking forward to hearing any suggestions anyone may have.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#17497 - 10/16/03 03:57 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
makinshots Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Female/Pennsylvania
Kenny: As a bowler, cyclist and weight lifter, I can tell you that you can do both. The problem that occurs in most bowling injuries is that most bowlers go to the lanes and never bother to stretch, thus all the knee and elbow problems. As you know ligaments are keeping these joints stabilized, so, remember to do hamstring, quad and tricep stretches when you get to the lanes. Importantly, or bowling any type of tricep work you do will benefit your game and, of course, any forearm work (ie hammer curls where you are using your supinator muscle and extensors) will be a great aid in developing a strong forearm which will aid you in keeping your wrist straight in your back swing and during release. Also a lot of circumduction (arm circles) to keep the rotator cuff free will be a plus on the lanes (I make it part of my warmup). As a weight lifter you know that the knees normally do not become bothersome unless the muscles above or below the knee are overused and tight, so, back to the beginning of this response, stretching the hams will cover the calf muscles and then the quads. Good luck and avoid the junk on and off the lanes.

#17498 - 10/16/03 04:25 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
Kenny13 Offline
League Bowler

Thanks for the info. I've always felt in my mind that getting back into Weight Training would really help my bowling. It will definitely help with endurance (every other Sunday I bowl 9 games over 2 different leagues).

#17499 - 10/16/03 04:45 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
makinshots Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Female/Pennsylvania
Anytime, sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it going.

#17500 - 10/17/03 09:25 AM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Kenny13:
Hi all! I am a firm believer in being in good physical condition, both for sports and general health. Has anyone had any problems mixing bowling and weightlifting? Iím not talking about bodybuilding, but even with a regular weightlifting regime you can lose some flexibility. I really want to start working out again without sacrificing any of the progress Iíve made with my game. And hopefully it may even help with bowling.Does anyone out there have any experience in this that can help me? How about suggestions for bowling-specific exercises that may help as well.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Dr Jeff Briggs of BriggsConsulting.com is the industry leader in the physical conditioning needed by todays "Athlete Bowler". He has written and EXCELLENT book called "The Bowler-Specific Training Manual". I follow the regiment and have found my game to be more consistent throughout sets and practice sessions while injuries have been far less.

Dr Jeff is also one of the top coaches in the country working not only in the US but also abroad in places like Singapore and India to name a couple.

Stop by his website to view more information on Bowling with regards to the physical aspects of it. Remember bowling is a sport and we are athletes and need to train as do other sport professionals.

Later....Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#17501 - 10/17/03 11:06 AM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
sloth Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/NE
I saw on Amazon.com that there is also a book that came out in June, 2003 that is dedicated to weight lifting for bowling.
"The Ultimate Guide To Weight Training for Bowling by Robert G. Price" If you decide to get this book, remember to click through from this site so it gets some of your purchase kickback. It's only $19.95

#17502 - 10/17/03 11:59 AM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
Kenny13 Offline
League Bowler

Great info guys. I'm going to check out both of these books and see what I can get out of them. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

#17503 - 10/17/03 12:02 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I have reviewed Dr. Briggs' "book" and found it a bit lacking. It seemed like the hard copy of a Power Point presentation. Perhaps in person at a seminar, the information would be more rewarding.

I look with interest to any additional materials that come out, including Price's book.

#17504 - 10/18/03 03:07 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
DTB300 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Ageless/M/MD
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Angel Zobel-Rodriguez:
I have reviewed Dr. Briggs' "book" and found it a bit lacking. It seemed like the hard copy of a Power Point presentation. Perhaps in person at a seminar, the information would be more rewarding.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Lacking? Did you try to contact Dr Jeff Briggs with your concerns and questions about the book?

I am sitting here looking at the 2001 edition and it has everything you need to get started on a Weight Training program spcifically for bowling.

For instance, as I look at Seated Chest Press, it has a picture of the muscles that it trains, and a picture of what the machine might look like (each manufacturers model might look slightly different). It then gives a detailed explaination about how to perform the seated chest press, from body position, to performing the exercise. It even gives you notes about things to watch for while using the apparatus.

What else is there? It is not about stretching, it is not about diet, it is not about bowling drills, it is about Weight Training, and it covers that well.

Again, I do not find that lacking.....And if you have any questions about any of the exercises, Dr Jeff Briggs will answer any of your questions about it. I do not think you can say that about any other sport training books for bowling.

Remember, while you are at an exercise machine you should consult one of the Fitness Center personnel to insure that you have the machine setup properly. One of the worse things you can do while training with weights is not having the apparatus setup for your physical characteristics.

Later...Dan

Formula for Improving your Bowling....
Professional Bowlers Service, Inc. + Briggs Consulting = Bowler Educational Seminars -> Results - Improved Bowlers Gaithersburg, MD - Home of Bowler Educational Seminars - Ask me about attending one!!!

#17505 - 10/20/03 08:36 PM Re: Physical Conditioning/Bowling
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Hello this is bowling joel
I love the colors and the new format.
Also my two cents. The night before bowling I do
light weights maybe 15 reps with 15lbs. I have a
curling bar. I do 15 curls and before and after
I do 15 warm ups with a rubber workout stretcher.
It stretches the chest muscles and builds up the
forarms and shoulder muscles. Never weight lift
on the night you bowl as the muscles tend to get
tight. This may not happen to you but it has happed to me. Hope this helps.
Strokers do it better. smile

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.