BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174718 - 01/05/13 08:32 PM Need to slide more
Davebowling92710 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/NY
Hey guys!

So I've been bowling for quite a long time and I bowl quite a bit. I am only 19 years old and about 2 summers ago I started getting really bad pain in my left knee (I finish on my left leg, I'm a righty). Since then I wear a knee brace when I bowl to try to relieve the pain a bit.

I don't have much of a slide, I have a little bit of a slide but its more of a plant. So I was wondering is there a way I can get more of a slide to finish to maybe take some of the pressure off my knee? If so how do I practice that?

I know it seems like a pretty simple solution but when you have muscle memory of planting it's hard to break just like anything else.

All tips and help is greatly appreciated smile

-Dave
Lover of all Splits

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#174719 - 01/05/13 08:49 PM Re: Need to slide more [Re: Davebowling92710]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
I was a planter until the beginning of this season. Switching to a good smooth slide has really improved my game. To learn to do it, I put on my slippers, and went into the garage where I have a very slick concrete floor. For the better part of an afternoon, I'd practice my aproach over and over, trying to get as low as possible and keeping my weight off of my heel (which serves as a break)

Once I felt comfortable sliding, and keeping my balance, I took it to the lanes, and really liked the results. Within a month of doing so, my average shot 20 pins, I shot my first 300 game, I set my personal best series on back-to-back league nights.

#174720 - 01/05/13 08:52 PM Re: Need to slide more [Re: Davebowling92710]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
One, make sure you have quality shoes that have a slide sole on the left side and push off on the right side (righty), ideally they are replaceable so that you can match the bottoms to the tackiness of the lanes.

Two, focus on pushing off into a slide on the second to last step. You can do this without a ball, just walk to the line and load up on that second to last step and then push into a slide.

Also be aware of how far away from the line your starting your slide, watch the pro's they are much further away from the line then most amateurs.

#174722 - 01/05/13 09:15 PM Re: Need to slide more [Re: Davebowling92710]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 20/M/OH
I used to be a planter when I started using an actual 4-step or 5-step approach and I didn't know how to slide. Planting your slide foot can really do some nasty stuff to your knee; while I didn't get injured before switching to a slide (I'm glad I avoided that), I was noticing the bowlers with better fundamentals and they pretty much all slide.

What you can do to practice this (I practice my form kind of like this) is: find a room or a hallway (make sure you have enough room to move around) where you have a hard wood floor and put a pair of socks on. Pretend you're bowling (without the ball and shoes and all that jazz) and make a pretend approach with steps, arm swing, follow through, etc. On your last step, slide your foot forward. Because socks slide more easily, they are useful for helping you practice a slide.

When you take to the lanes, try the technique you practiced and you will notice a major difference in your leverage and balance. You will also notice how much less stress you put on your hip and knee; soon, you won't have to wear a knee brace! How liberating that will be! I used to get "bowler's hip" a few hours after I got home from bowling when I planted my foot, but after I started sliding on my last step, I don't get that anymore (or nearly as much).
14-15: 139

HG: 193 (?)
HS: 516 (143-183-190) (?)

Bowled regularly in high school, am on hiatus for college.

#174723 - 01/05/13 09:24 PM Re: Need to slide more [Re: Davebowling92710]
Davebowling92710 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 19/M/NY
Who would of thought the most simple way to practice is to just do it at home in your socks or slippers lol. I will most definitely take all these tips and try it out because I'd love to get more of a slide for the sake of my knee. I wanna be able to bowl when I get older so I'd rather not hurt my knees while I'm young. Thanks so much guys!
Lover of all Splits

#174725 - 01/05/13 10:45 PM Re: Need to slide more [Re: Davebowling92710]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Like B-Hammer said, the shoes are very important. The slide sole might need clean. I agree that the interchangeable kind is good. Since I've began buying them I've never had an approach I couldn't slide on once I find the set up that will work.

After that it's a matter of technique and with out seeing you bowl it's hard to tell what might be an issue. You could be bending to far forward with your upper body, going into the slide too straight legged, stepping into the slide heel first or flat footed or any combination of them.
HS:763

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.