BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174175 - 12/19/12 08:40 AM Motiv Raptor Talon
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/cocoa. Fl

My info is in the Video
The Raptor Talon is a more aggressive version of the Raptor. It uses the same core but the cover is like having sheetrock screws drilled into the track. The ball will not cover the whole lane, unless it is covered in oil, but it reads SO HARD. There are basically only a few times you can use a ball this strong. My fear is that bowlers will buy this ball and say it isn't great when they throw it on lower volumes and don't see it cover 40 boards. I found it to be very aggressive in the fronts. On sport conditions where my benchmark (Track 716T) was washing out, the Talon was going through the face. The further left I moved the further left I had to move my breakpoint as to retain enough energy. On the wrong conditions you WILL NOT like the reaction of this ball. On the house shot I was surprised how this ball worked. Almost the opposite of what I thought. I started a little deeper and used my regular release. Game 1 was nothing special. As the lanes transitioned and some carry down from the other bowlers got in front of me, the Talon went on the hunt. I had as much as 5 boards at the breakpoint once the lanes changed. Others were getting skid and washouts and I had the whole lane. I only added a little tilt to my release to clear the very front of the lane and the Talon did the rest.
If you TRULY bowl on heavy oil this ball cannot be beat! You just have to be honest with yourself or you will not like this ball. Truly a great piece of equipment in the right hands on the right conditions.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#174182 - 12/19/12 12:57 PM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: mattyg3535]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
The Raptor Attack looks like a better ball for a THS especially for swinging out through the center oil. Sometime in the future I'll be looking to replace my VG after it completely wears out. From what I read about the VG Nano it's very susceptible to roll-out. So instead I've been looking at Motiv equipment for a possible replacement. I rather have a ball over-hook in the dry than roll-out. Sounds like the Talon would also burn-up on a THS.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#174183 - 12/19/12 01:38 PM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: mattyg3535]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I tend to go middle of the road for my THS ball. That is why I have preferred my Hy-Road or my Tropical Heat Hybrid. Lately, I have been throwing my Nano Pearl because I can't get as much into the ball due to my wrist. Overall, I like a ball where I don't have to worry about it being way too much ball for the condition.

#174185 - 12/19/12 03:28 PM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: General Pounder]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: General Pounder
I tend to go middle of the road for my THS ball. That is why I have preferred my Hy-Road or my Tropical Heat Hybrid. Lately, I have been throwing my Nano Pearl because I can't get as much into the ball due to my wrist. Overall, I like a ball where I don't have to worry about it being way too much ball for the condition.

Same here. I only use my VG for playing deeper THS lines. I'll use my pearls for outside. I can play deep inside with a weaker ball if the shot is fried otherwise the ball won't come back/finish.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#174187 - 12/19/12 04:24 PM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: mattyg3535]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Quote:
The Raptor Talon is a more aggressive version of the Raptor. It uses the same core but the cover is like having sheetrock screws drilled into the track. The ball will not cover the whole lane, unless it is covered in oil, but it reads SO HARD. There are basically only a few times you can use a ball this strong. My fear is that bowlers will buy this ball and say it isn't great when they throw it on lower volumes and don't see it cover 40 boards. I found it to be very aggressive in the fronts. On sport conditions where my benchmark (Track 716T) was washing out, the Talon was going through the face. The further left I moved the further left I had to move my breakpoint as to retain enough energy. On the wrong conditions you WILL NOT like the reaction of this ball. On the house shot I was surprised how this ball worked. Almost the opposite of what I thought. I started a little deeper and used my regular release. Game 1 was nothing special. As the lanes transitioned and some carry down from the other bowlers got in front of me, the Talon went on the hunt. I had as much as 5 boards at the breakpoint once the lanes changed. Others were getting skid and washouts and I had the whole lane. I only added a little tilt to my release to clear the very front of the lane and the Talon did the rest.
If you TRULY bowl on heavy oil this ball cannot be beat! You just have to be honest with yourself or you will not like this ball. Truly a great piece of equipment in the right hands on the right conditions.

I appreciate the honest review. I bought a Raptor Talon, rolled it on a few different conditions, and agree 100%. It's a special heavy condition ball. Each time out, I compared the Talon with my Raptor P7. Total hook was similar, within a board, but it was like the Talon was glued to the lane. In fact, it has an odd glue-like odor (not pleasant). Overall, I found the P7 to be nearly as strong, but more forgiving, and scored better with it on more typical volumes of oil, so that's the one I will be keeping in my bag.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#174192 - 12/20/12 12:14 AM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: mattyg3535]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I agree with Joe, thanks for the honest review. I wish more testers and the companies themselves would do a better job attempting to explain the purpose of their new ball to the average Joe. Way too many people believe heavy oil ball=biggest hooking/hardest hitting, and are so discouraged when they don't work well on the house shot. Better advertising may lead to fewer sales of the most expensive balls, but would lead to a happier base of customers.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#174193 - 12/20/12 12:55 AM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: champ]
Oriley Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/m/WV
This is a very nice review. I liked the angles that were used and the video quality/lighting was excellent. In some of these reviews it can be hard to see exactly where the ball is reading the lanes but it was very clear in this video.

Showing multiple shots with the altered surface was also a nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

#174244 - 12/22/12 03:32 PM Re: Motiv Raptor Talon [Re: mattyg3535]
mattyg3535 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/cocoa. Fl
OK, so I did a some surface changes and am very pleased with the results. As far as the Talon burning up on THS I have some answers. On shorter patterns (less than 40') just put a coat of polish on it (@ 2000) and you have tremendous amounts of room to swing the ball. On longer patterns (40' or more) just change the surface to 4000 and you will have control and power without burning up.
Again, this ball should be used for what it is intended for BUT you just need to find the surface to make the ball do what you need. I started by through all the pads first. 360, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 then 4000. Now after that I did my changes and I am totally happy with the Talon on everything I have tried it on so far.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.