BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173809 - 12/07/12 09:37 AM big time choke job
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
I substituted on my so's team last night and choked in the third game.

The night started really iffy. I couldn't find my shot in practice. My timing was a little off. The first game started and I went spare spare still struggling. Then something clicked in the third frame and I ran off a bunch of strikes and finished with a 257.

My second game started with 5 strikes in a row then a 9/ then 9 miss for an open. I finished with a 256.

great first two games and I was salivating for a 700 series. Third game first frame ball went high and I left a 2-4-7. My spare shot went high and I chopped 2 leaving the 4-7 for an open. My first shot went high again in the second frame and left the same spare. This time I moved to make sure I got the 4-7 and you guessed it. I missed the 2 pin for another open. I adjusted a little in the third and struck then threw a little too far outside in the 4th and 5th leaving 3-5-6-10 in both frames. I missed both of them then closed with 5 marks and finished with a 149.

I never felt so lousy about a 662 series.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#173811 - 12/07/12 11:42 AM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
Been there done that. Dont know why but most nights i just cannot put 3 togthr. I have missed so many 700's and upper 600's by compl sucking on the lanes for 1 game.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#173833 - 12/08/12 07:25 AM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
If there was an answer for this, we wouldn't do it. But, every now and then, something goes awry, and you don't know why.

Is it timing, or the ball finish, the release, oil change or many other reasons? I don't know. But, it happens.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#173834 - 12/08/12 08:26 AM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Still a good series, Tom. With all of the balls going high the third game, sounds like you might have missed a few transition signals. It is a sure sign when both strike ball and spare ball go high. If you want to avoid that, watch your ball closer, and even those of your teammates. Did it hit the mark? Did it break sooner than expected? Did it hit the pocket high? Were any pins slow to fall? Did the ball deflect more or less? Where did it go off the lane? As the night progresses, be ready to move even on high hits that carry. One of the hardest things to do is have a long string of strikes, and then have to move off of the spot where you are locked in, but that may be the only way to keep the string going.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#173836 - 12/08/12 10:40 AM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
You've got nothing to feel lousy about. Now you've earned some experience you can use the next time you have something big in sights. Every night on the lanes is a learning experience for the next time.

I know when I get something going, I have a tendency to get a little slow. I think I'm trying to be careful, not to do anything stupid, but by letting up on the speed, bad things start happening. When I'm bowling good enough to feel some pressure, I've learned to always remind myself to stay agressive.

You just have to search for what might have went wrong. Usually its a matter of being stubborn.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#173861 - 12/09/12 09:02 PM Re: big time choke job [Re: champ]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
Originally Posted By: champ
You've got nothing to feel lousy about. Now you've earned some experience you can use the next time you have something big in sights. Every night on the lanes is a learning experience for the next time.

I know when I get something going, I have a tendency to get a little slow. I think I'm trying to be careful, not to do anything stupid, but by letting up on the speed, bad things start happening. When I'm bowling good enough to feel some pressure, I've learned to always remind myself to stay agressive.

You just have to search for what might have went wrong. Usually its a matter of being stubborn.

that's interesting. I start to get a little quick and I have to concentrate on slowing down.

#173910 - 12/10/12 08:48 PM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
swingset Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 42, Male, Granville Ohio
That's the way it goes, nothing to feel bad about. I bowled a 297/264/131, same story...last game just hit awful splits left and right, even tho fundamentally the line was good and I was in the game mentally.

Shake it off and have fun!

#174208 - 12/20/12 05:56 PM Re: big time choke job [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Still a good series, Tom. With all of the balls going high the third game, sounds like you might have missed a few transition signals. It is a sure sign when both strike ball and spare ball go high. If you want to avoid that, watch your ball closer, and even those of your teammates. Did it hit the mark? Did it break sooner than expected? Did it hit the pocket high? Were any pins slow to fall? Did the ball deflect more or less? Where did it go off the lane? As the night progresses, be ready to move even on high hits that carry. One of the hardest things to do is have a long string of strikes, and then have to move off of the spot where you are locked in, but that may be the only way to keep the string going.

I wanted to re-post this to re-iterate everything that Joe said. Bowling well is about making the right adjustment at the right time. What you have to do is keep your head in the game at all times so you know when that right time is. And you can't be afraid to do it. The higher scores are worth it.

One of my favorite things to do is find a player on the other team who is playing a similar line. When I see HIS ball doing the things that Joe was talking about, that's when I make the adjustment that I've already been considering for at least the last five frames.

Be observant and think ahead...always think ahead.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#174219 - 12/20/12 10:44 PM Re: big time choke job [Re: TominNJ]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
What Joe Bowler said, spot on...

It takes a bit of nerve to move when u are getting the results u wanted on the lanes, depite the fact that ladyluck might have a hand in those ever so light/high hits, and even more so when u start stringing strikes together... I can be guilty of this at times...

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.