BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173318 - 11/23/12 02:06 AM Please help me bros
Simon Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: New York
How to get my arm swing higher? And other things.

Attachments
bowling.avi (135 downloads)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#173321 - 11/23/12 04:03 AM Re: Please help me bros [Re: Simon]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
I am by no means a coach, but here are my 2 ct.:

First of all it would be nice to see a video shot from the side.
Working with what we have I'd say that you somehow block your swing from getting higher.
This is a natural countermeasure from your brain because your timing is WAY off. You start the ball at the end of your 2nd step of a four step approache.
Normally you'd bring the ball into the swing on the first step of a four step approach.

If you try this you should also try to get your feet closer together in your set up. This will later help you find the board from which to start. Right now it will not help you much, but it also won't hinder you and it's better to change these things earlier so you don't have to think about them when you learn something new.

I hope that helped a bit.
It's really great that you try to get better in this fun sport.
Within no time you will improve a lot!

Edited by FruitFly (11/23/12 04:10 AM)

#173332 - 11/23/12 05:47 PM Re: Please help me bros [Re: Simon]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Like spr3wr said in the other thread, you really need one on one coaching, fundamentally you are so far away from text book there isn't a good place to start.

Question, was this ball drilled for you or did you get it pre-drilled from a friend?

If it was drilled for you, can you hold it on your side and relax your hand without it falling off? If I were to guess I'd say you are death gripping it because you are afraid to drop it. This causes so many problems.

A good thing for you to do would be to get the Norm Duke how to bowl DVD and watch it a dozen or so times. He has all the basics in it.

#173333 - 11/23/12 06:09 PM Re: Please help me bros [Re: B-Hammer]
Simon Offline
Junior Coach

Yes. I brought the ball to a Pro Shop and the guy measured my fingers and everything. Only thing is he didn't tell me what my PAP and type of drilling layout he used for my ball. I can hold it on my side with one or two hands? My middle finger grip feels a bit loose but when I use a little tape it fits perfectly. Ring finger fits snug. Thanks I'll try to get that DVD. What do you think about the Parker Bohn DVD? I think he has one too?

#173340 - 11/23/12 11:20 PM Re: Please help me bros [Re: Simon]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: Simon
Yes. I brought the ball to a pro shop and the guy measured my fingers and everything. Only thing is he didn't tell me what my PAP and type of drilling layout he used for my ball. I can hold it on my side with one or two hands? My middle finger grip feels a bit loose but when I use a little tape it fits perfectly. Ring finger fits snug. Thanks I'll try to get that DVD. What do you think about the Parker Bohn DVD? I think he has one too?

This is the wrist test: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip20.htm, it is done with one hand.

I haven't seen the PB DVD, only the Duke one, and it will answer most of your basic questions.

When the guy drilled your ball did he have you roll a ball or watch you bowl, or did you just drop off the ball in the shop and come pick it up later. If he didn't actually measure a ball that you rolled then he didn't measure you for a PAP, he just guessed on one. If this was your first ball this isn't too uncommon.

What is more important is ball fit. The ball needs to hold on to you so that you can relax and learn a free arm swing.

#173342 - 11/24/12 12:39 AM Re: Please help me bros [Re: B-Hammer]
Simon Offline
Junior Coach

He watched me roll like 2 frames when I told him to. Then he went back into his shop to work on my ball. He didn't even take the ball which was my spare ball that I threw to look at the oily rings on the ball. If he guessed my PAP will that hurt my score more when I use the ball than if he didn't guess it when I get a coach to improve my bowling.

#173344 - 11/24/12 12:52 AM Re: Please help me bros [Re: B-Hammer]
Simon Offline
Junior Coach

Okay. I have tried that wrist test. I was able to cup my wrist and hold it for good 10 sec but I do see slightly shaking in my wrist after like 6-7 secs. The thumb hole feels a bit weird when cupping feels like something is poking me through the top of my thumb knuckles. Maybe the thumb hole wasn't drilled in at the proper angle downward?? Also I think I am really stiff throughout. So stiff I can even raise my arm swing high enough to the back?

#173382 - 11/25/12 06:03 PM Re: Please help me bros [Re: Simon]
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
To raise the backswing, you have to turn your shoulders. Have to.

Stand with your shoulders square and raise your bowling arm behind you in your bowling motion. As long as your shoulders are square, you will find there is a point where the height of the backswing is physically stopped. Lower your arm. Now do the same motion again, but turn your shoulders (putting the shoulder opposite your bowling arm in front) and you you will feel how much more free the armswing is and you will feel how much higher it can go.

Edited by BillinPhilly (11/25/12 06:06 PM)

#173388 - 11/26/12 03:13 AM Re: Please help me bros [Re: BillinPhilly]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
While this is true, it's easy to misunderstand this.
You have to turn your shoulder if you want a sky high backswing.

If shoulder high and a bit above is enough, then you do not need to do this.
(Btw.: For a beginner bowler shoulder high IS enough and in my oppinion a lot better. IMHO especially in the beginning for consistency the less movement the better.)

It helps to tilt at the exact right moment though.
See Ron Clifton's swing height tip

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.