BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173251 - 11/20/12 12:32 PM Oh the joys of some bowlers antics...
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
So the mens league I bowl on had several teams, from the disbanned scratch league that bowled next to us the last few seasons, join our league. I find it odd how many of them complain, especially since it is a handicap league. Common sense tells me they should know what they were getting into... So the lead off bowler of our opponent last night, sadly I missed his remarks as I was out smoking after the 1st game, has an issue with "how well" we bowled the 1st game. Barely beating them by 10+ pins. I would have loved to see his actions as I just feel like he's a sandbagger himself.

Three of us are 200+ average bowlers, though we're down just under 200 currently, and our last year book averages are clear as day on the standing sheets. The highest game was our anchor at a 224, I had a 214, and still not sure that anyone else even shot over 200 for us. Yet he decides to show his distaste in us beating them, barely... Then two of them bowl lights out the 2nd game, complainer included, and the last game he appears to idle down and barely break 200. I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind lol, especially since he doesn't even bowl with his thumb in the ball. Though I did good and refrained from making an ordeal of it.

Merely ranting, but seriously, why complain? Especially when we only won the 1st game... I shot a whopping 601 with a 198 average coming into the night, our setup guy shot a 640ish (197 avg), and our anchor had a 596 (190 something avg). We're definitely not bowling bad on purpose, we've all got better things to do than let them win. lol
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#173253 - 11/20/12 01:05 PM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
The season is 36 weeks long, and roughly half of your games are going to be over your average, and roughly half under. That's why it's called an average. We all remember the nights where the 180 average bowler shoots 740 against us, but we seem to forget the nights when that same bowler shoots 480. And even though none of you shot lights out, some whiners still complain every time they beat a team scratch, but lose because of the handicap. Oh, well, that's the way it goes. Happens to my teams all the time. It's part of the game- I can usually find a few shots that cost us games, and there's not a single thing you can do.
Enjoy beating those teams- being better sports than them will just add to their frustration, which seems like a bonus to me!

Bowl up a Storm!

#173255 - 11/20/12 02:04 PM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
I just can't understand why some people take handicap bowling so seriously. They whine and whine about the handicap system, they try to figure out how to cheat the system to have an advantage, they are genuinely concerned with where their team is in the standings, and put more energy into watching team score than they likely put into anything else in life.

I like to show up, and do my best. I could care less where my team is, or trying to find an advantage, or worrying about how many pins our team is giving up. No big deal. If we win win every quarter, win the league, win every category, our team might split 800 bucks. If we get dead last, we might split 200 bucks. That's 200 versus 50 dollars per man. That 150 dollar difference is not worth all of the obessive compulsive behavior over a 36 week period in my opinion, especially when there are so many variables that put the results out of your control.

Have fun people. Handicap bowling is not the big leagues.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#173268 - 11/21/12 08:09 AM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

I'm serious about the 2 handicap leagues I'm in, but I'm not a jerk about it. Our leagues pay a lot more than the one you're in ($10,000 for 1st place team in one, other would have been the same had we gotten one more team), but even if they didn't, I'd still be serious. I'd never make a comment to another team about sandbagging or the format, though. I wouldn't get upset about someone who is serious in a "fun" league- just the people who are distracting, or confrontational.

Bowl up a Storm!

#173272 - 11/21/12 10:50 AM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 31/M/AZ
Wow Fin, they don't have any handicap leagues around here with that kind of payout. I can see how people would take that seriously, but in my opinion, if there is that sort of money on the line, I'd only join if it was scratch.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#173275 - 11/21/12 11:20 AM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
($10,000 for 1st place team in one, other would have been the same had we gotten one more team)

The league payouts around here aren't even close to that. We may be looking at $800-$1400 to a team depending on position. I go bowl my best three games every week for each league and that's about all I can do. Beyond that it is what it is because I have no control over anything else. Worrying about handicap and everything else is only a distraction.

Fin, you must pay quite a bit every week for league fees to get that kind of payout?
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#173277 - 11/21/12 11:33 AM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Yeah I just find it odd... If you're coming from a scratch league then you know what you're getting yourself into in joining a handicap league lol. If not then maybe you shouldn't be bowling? The mens league I bowl, 1st will get about $2,500 I believe. In my mixed league can't remember the payouts, but we pay $16/week, lineage is only $7.50, and the House does our books so $8.50 into the prize fund!
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#173283 - 11/21/12 12:30 PM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Sounds like he may have gotten into your head a bit. Try not to let those kinds of comments bother you.

#173284 - 11/21/12 12:53 PM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Our payouts are similar to Fin's in my competitive scratch league. We are 10k for first place but its 5 man teams so ends up being 2k a man if you win each third, as well as win the roll-off. Now, most times that doesn't happen, but last year I did come home with about $900 so not to bad.

We pay $25 a week with 5 man teams ($125 a team) and there are 24 teams.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#173285 - 11/21/12 12:58 PM Re: Oh the joys of some bowlers antics... [Re: AmpleSound]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

The league with the $10,000 top prize is $20/night- the league sponsor is adding the $10k to the prize fund, and has designated it to go to the first place team. The rest of the prize fund is for places 2-32. The other league is $22/night- the center was going to add the same amount to the prize fund if we got 24 teams, and we ended up coming up one team short. I think we actually had enough teams, but one dropped after one or two nights.
There are no scratch leagues around here, or that's all that I would bowl, too. Every time someone tries to get one started, they end up with about 6 teams, and they want to cap the entering averages at about 840-850 (4 man teams). I wouldn't be able to bowl with the guys I bowl with now, as we're near 900.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by wronghander - Today at 02:52 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:29 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 07/15/19 11:07 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.