BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173147 - 11/18/12 11:56 AM Balance arm better position
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 18/M/Ohio
As I mentioned in the team 4 thread, although I have been scoring well, thanks mostly to my spare shooting, I have had a lot less rotation on my ball. After league yesterday the local high school coach worked with me saying he noticed my balance arm was going above my head and then back down causing a bad shoulder angle forcing my ball hand to be in a weak position. In the following video the first one shows my balance arm going high although the result is good the rotation of the ball was bad. The second one is lower balance arm which allowed me farther inside with a nice rotation on the ball and then a side view again focusing on lower balance arm position. I see I am stopping well short of the foul line so there is something else to fix. Oh while practicing this I strung 15 in a row go figure it wasn't league . Hard to believe that the balance arm plays such an important role.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#173207 - 11/19/12 12:11 PM Re: Balance arm better position [Re: Rocket Jr]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
A good drill to help you work on balance arm position and get feedback immediately.

Grab a plastic cup from the snack bar and put whatever spare change you have into the cup. Now hold the cup in your balance arm hand from the type like your hand is one of those claw machines. So your palm is on the top rim of the cup, covering the hole to some degree, hand almost like a claw.

Now holding that cup in your hand do your normal approach, if at any point that change touches your hand or falls out of the cup you know your balance arm isn't staying parallel to the floor.

This drill was brought to me by Mike Machuga during a clinic I had him run at my local center. It is one of the drills "Next Level Bowling" uses quite often.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#173227 - 11/19/12 09:14 PM Re: Balance arm better position [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 18/M/Ohio
Thanks SK I will try that tomorrow night at practice. My coach is a little upset I am holding my ball so low again so I need to work on that next, I imagine its subconscious from where I hurt my elbow a few weeks ago. I know its hard to tell much with a slow motion video but in regular motion it was very hard to see what my balance arm was doing.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.