BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176414 - 02/21/13 10:03 PM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Sorry you didn't get the bragging rights you wanted, but at least you laced up and got the experience. I bet its pretty awesome. I'd love to bowl it sometime in the next few years.

As for the rest of the tournament, my three "horses" are still in the race. In order, who I'd personally like to see win:

1) Matt McNiel. He's an incredible talent, and quickly becoming an ambassador of the USBC Open. I'd love to see him add a Masters to his resume, and I'd also love to see an amateur win.

2) Chris Barnes. I may be one of the few non-haters, and I'd love to see Chris wrap up the Grand Slam, and see him finally add his name to the list of winners after so many close finishes.

3) Mika Koivuniemi. By far my favorite pro bowler, and I always love to see him win. The only reason he doesn't rank higher in my top three is because he already has a Masters title.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#176418 - 02/21/13 11:15 PM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
My top 3 to win are
Mike Moore, Great guy he manages the shop my coach drills from and is great friends with him
Scott Newell, Great guy again, works at the shop close to me, would love to see one of those locals win
Mike Fagan, who wouldnt love to see a repeat?
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#176421 - 02/22/13 12:25 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: champ]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Originally Posted By: champ
As for the rest of the tournament, my three "horses" are still in the race. In order, who I'd personally like to see win:
1) Matt McNiel. He's an incredible talent, and quickly becoming an ambassador of the USBC Open. I'd love to see him add a Masters to his resume, and I'd also love to see an amateur win.

Seconded on McNeil for the reasons you mentioned. Also would be great to see a 900 Global staffer make TV and stick it to the PBA.

#176426 - 02/22/13 07:05 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
Kitten Latch Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/Australia
Great job Joe, can't say I'd average anything more than 180 in the Masters, I'd love to give it a run in a few years though. wink

Super excited to watch match play in a couple of hours. The Masters and the US Open matchplays are always fantastic to watch.

There's so many I'd love to see win it, but I think Barnes, Belmo and Norton are my personal favs (and at this point, I really wouldn't put money on anyone else).

Edited by Kitten Latch (02/22/13 07:08 AM)
Black Pearl [email protected]
Terminator [email protected]
[email protected]

High Series: 793(3), 1033(4)
High Game: 300x1 17/6/11

#176428 - 02/22/13 07:51 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Thanks, champ and KL. If you get a chance to bowl the Masters, go for it. I am looking forward to match play starting in a little while. I will be rooting for the lefties, but enjoying watching some of my favorite righties. Unfortunately, they don't allow any cameras, so I can't post any photos/video.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#176435 - 02/22/13 09:58 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Joe,
Nice going on jumping in and getting your feet wet at that high level of competition. TYVM for the "reports from the front."
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#176454 - 02/22/13 02:17 PM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Nice job Joe- you'll know even more of what to expect next year when you go back! I've been toying with the idea of going one year, so maybe next year for me. My buddy (Gary Faulkner) made the cut, but lost his first two matches (710-623 to Norton, then 611-589). He bowled great all week- was +215 in qualifying, and just ran into a buzz saw. I think if he could have pulled an early upset, he might have gone pretty deep.

Bowl up a Storm!

#176469 - 02/22/13 09:40 PM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I wish I was there with you, congratulations on the excellent performance, you steadily got better every round I can't help but think you would have done nothing but get better every round after. If this was a league you would be one of the top competitors in a season or two.

#176478 - 02/23/13 08:14 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Thanks guys. Fin, I was thinking you would do well there the way you have been whacking the pins. I hope you decide to go next year. It would be great to meet there and compare notes. I am already making a list of what I need to do to improve my chances next time around.

The first thing is, there is no getting around it is a 1-board-downlane-accuracy-required shot. Yesterday, I had the chance to sit and watch the pros attack the pattern from all different angles. The ones that scored best were all lined up to hit 8-board at the downlane markers. But, if they hit 7, they might miss the headpin. Hit 9 and they might go through the nose. And, that is assuming they did everything else exactly the same (speed, tilt, rotation, etc.). Even guys with the highest speed and revs still had to hit their marks or they would pay the price.

So, the first thing on my list is to find a house with downlane markers to practice. Second, is to adjust my work schedule, if possible, to bowl a sport shot league. Targeting at the arrows, and bowling only on a house shot and an occasional sport shot tournament is not the best way to prepare for the Masters.

The second thing I realized is that, even though I brought 10 balls with me, I only had 1 medium RG ball to match the medium length pattern. And, I waited too long to try it, and then after adjusting the tape, it became sticky and unuseable. The other balls I had with me were either too long or too strong for the shot. So, next year, if the pattern is 39-feet again, I will only need to bring 3 balls with me plus a spare ball, but they will all be medium RG, with different Diffs and covers, to be able to adjust angles. And, I will redo all the tape before the event.

The third thing is to go lean. I weighed in at 250 pounds before this year's event. I had hoped to be closer to 200 pounds. When you see the pros in action, you are reminded that bowling at this level is an athletic event. It is just smart to be in your best physical shape. My wife and I both decided to join a gym, so she will be my accountability partner.

Those were my three major lessons learned. The more I think about it, I am sure there will be others.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#176479 - 02/23/13 08:35 AM Re: 2013 USBC Masters [Re: champ]
TominNJ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 59 M EHT NJ
Originally Posted By: champ

2) Chris Barnes. I may be one of the few non-haters, and I'd love to see Chris wrap up the Grand Slam, and see him finally add his name to the list of winners after so many close finishes.

3) Mika Koivuniemi. By far my favorite pro bowler, and I always love to see him win. The only reason he doesn't rank higher in my top three is because he already has a Masters title.

I rode up there yesterday with some friends to watch the match play and had a chance to briefly chat with Matt McNeil. He was in the Pro Shop when I went in. He had just finished a very tight match with Parker Bohn III and I complimented him on the match. It was one he easily could have won if he had caught a break. He seemed like a really good guy and I wish him a lot of success on the tour.

Barnes... didn't seem to be personable at all. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and chalking it up to his intensity.

Mika... looked like a high school English teacher or college professor. I didn't interact with him at all but he seemed friendly.

Wes Mallott was very personable. He was talking with an older woman who was obviously a big fan. He signed something for her and posed for a picture. He was genuinely friendly.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.