BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172171 - 10/16/12 09:18 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: VFF57]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: VFF57
Couple this with a high cost of living and personal sacrifices the outcome is a small percent of takers.

Kinda like trying to get a Sport shot going (around here). Too much sacrifice. Just like the roller rinks and drive in theatres of the 70's and 80's, our sport is slowly dying. I would think that it would be in the best interest of the bowling centers to promote their leagues at all costs.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172181 - 10/16/12 12:27 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The big issue I see is the ego many league bowlers have to maintain. Most don't want to get their feelings hurt and average 30 pins lower than they do now, just bowling in one house. Getting the "mens" leagues to change to a sport pattern or even a modified house shot is like pulling teeth, getting people to go to different centers is nearly impossible.

League bowlers have this impression that "I should be able to stand here and throw there because that is what I have been doing for the last X years" so bowling in more than one center would mean having to adjust, simply out of the question lol.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#172185 - 10/16/12 01:42 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
You know - scrambling the lanes that leagues bowl on might do something for that, Sk8. I agree with you.

Our league is pretty tiny (and shrinking. . . likely going to have to look for another) so we get bumped around the house quite a bit. We're easy to fit in between other leagues so we've been at the low end, the high end, and everything in between - and there's a pretty dramatic difference between low end and high. . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#173020 - 11/14/12 08:32 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I feel very fortunate to have discovered just such a travel "league" (actually, more like a series of scratch tournaments). The organizers set up 12 events at 4 different bowling centers. Each event has a different Kegel or USBC pattern, and a different format (singles, doubles, match play, bracket, total pins, stepladder, baker, etc). There are two events per month. Entry fees range from $45-$65.

The only downside for me is all of the events are Sunday morning at 9:00am in another county 75 miles from home. I was not aware when it first started, and missed the first two events. Now, I am hooked. And, the turnout has increased each week. The next event, a match play championship on the 2012 USBC Masters pattern, is already booked.

Win or lose, this is great fun and a welcome challenge. The folks that do not take advantage of such opportunities, whatever their excuse, are missing out.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#173066 - 11/15/12 07:26 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Lucky sod Joe!... I wish we had something like that around. I would love the challenge, and the reality check of where I am at also..

Mmalsad, my league is gone, and I am now bowling phantom leagues, not overly social ,although I do bowl with a couple of nice guys.. Leagues are getting smaller with no sign of getting the under 30 age group demographic into it.. Just thinnning and balding heads is what I am seeing now, sadly myself included!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.