BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172968 - 11/12/12 06:17 AM 4-Ball Arsenal Specs
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I am very happy with my 4-ball arsenal right now. I did not find perfect matches in every category, but pretty close. It can be a daunting task to figure out how to combine all the variables to build an effective arsenal. While the process to arrive at this point was not simple for me, the end result is simple. I thought it might be helpful to share what I would consider the ideal core/cover specs for a 4-ball arsenal:

Longer, heavier oil - Solid Particle, 500 grit, Low RG: 2.45, High Diff: .060, High MB: .020, 5-6" track flare

Medium, benchmark ball - Hybrid Reactive, 1000 grit, Med RG: 2.55, Med Diff: .050, Med MB: .010, 4-5" track flare

Shorter, lighter oil - Pearl Urethane, 2000 grit, High RG: 2.65, Low Diff: .040, Low MB: 0 (Symmetrical), 3-4" track flare

Spare ball - Rubber/Plastic, 4000 grit, High RG, Low Diff, Low MB (Symmetrical), 0-1" track flare

While the specific balls may change, these are the specs that I am looking to match for each slot. One of the variables that is not easily defined is coverstock. Today, manufacturers don't like to use the word "particle". Instead, they may refer to additives, or their own branded high friction technology. Someday, I would rather see manufacturers provide standard friction ratings on oil and dry to be more specific about that. Until then, there are likely to be a few hits and misses when testing new equipment.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#174230 - 12/21/12 03:41 PM Re: 4-Ball Arsenal Specs [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

New balls are introduced all the time, so the list is subject to change, but I just wanted to note which balls I found that best matched my 4-ball arsenal specs, and that I have rolled successfully.

Longer, heavier oil - Motiv Raptor P7
Medium, benchmark ball - Brunswick VersaMax
Shorter, lighter oil - Storm Natural Pearl
Spare ball - High Skore Pro (or any plastic ball)

#174232 - 12/21/12 06:02 PM Re: 4-Ball Arsenal Specs [Re: Joe Bowler]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Would it make sense with a 4-ball arsenal to use your Urethane as a spare ball? That is what I do. For me, it works out better. I throw at my 10-pins with a complete straight ball so I change my delivery anyway. Using the Urethane for spares gives me an extra ball in my bag.

Edited by General Pounder (12/21/12 06:02 PM)

#174233 - 12/21/12 06:50 PM Re: 4-Ball Arsenal Specs [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

My Natural Pearl hooks. I have it drilled to flare 3-4 inches, and am most comfortable rolling a ball with 45 - 90 degrees axis rotation, so using it for my corner pin would not work for me. I would rather be sure my spare ball has no inclination to hook, just to skid and roll forward. But, it sounds like a good idea for folks who can roll a straight/backup ball.

#174247 - 12/22/12 11:05 PM Re: 4-Ball Arsenal Specs [Re: Joe Bowler]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Don't get me wrong, my Natural Solid hooks when the lanes are getting burnt. But, on a corner pin when I am putting it right across the puddle in the middle, it doesn't move much even when I try to hook it at my corner pins. Last game is when I end up throwing it as my strike shot, I am throwing it about 8 at the arrows out to 5 and in. Sometimes more hook than that depending on the lanes on a given night.

#174249 - 12/23/12 05:55 AM Re: 4-Ball Arsenal Specs [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Last summer, I was on a mission to find a more durable replacement to my plastic spare ball. Every one I owned seemed to chip or crack. So, I tried a Polar Ice Urethane. It is a weaker formula urethane ball with a pancake weight block. Unfortunately, it would sometimes catch a roll at the end, enough to hook past the spare. My Natural Pearl hooks even more. I did not want to have to make adjustments (feet, target, or release) to shoot my corner pin. So, I continued searching and found what I was looking for in an old hard rubber ball, a High Skore Pro.

That's just what works for me. I understand some pros like Norm Duke, Mike Fagan, etc. can use the same ball for strikes and spares. That's a valuable skill, but my arm/wrist/hand just don't bend that way, so it is difficult to roll a perfectly straight/backup ball. For those that can, any spare ball will do.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.