BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172786 - 11/05/12 07:15 AM Columbia Omen
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
In a word...disappointed.

I had my eye on the Columbia Omen for a heavy oil ball since reading the review in BTM a while back. It's hard to ignore a ball that generates 6.6 degrees entry angle for stroker on their heavy oil pattern. I even tried to order one months ago, but could not get a 16 lb ball with the longer pin I wanted. Since standardizing my layout, I no longer need the extra long pin. So I ordered one.

It looks a LOT like the Columbia Resurgence. Colors are similar, and the core is almost exactly the same shape. I have been testing it now for a couple of weeks. I tried it with 3 different surfaces, 500/dull, 500/polished, and 500/1k/2k/4k/polished. I hate to say it, but the ball is a dud, at least for me. It has less surface friction than my Ogre Particle for cutting through the oil, and responds slower to the dry than my VersaMax for creating entry angle. Both balls have more total hook than the Omen. It does not help that Columbia bumped down the Diff from .054 for a 15 lb ball to .047 for a 16 lb ball, so it had less track flare than expected. The ball faces up quick and leaves little margin for error with almost no continuation.

Arrgh! I just wish Visionary had put a higher performance core inside the Ogre particle cover. Nothing else really compares...even polished, it feels rough like cement...and it grows teeth when it encounters oil. Alas, now I have my eye on a Motiv Raptor P7. The core specs are perfect...RG 2.47, Diff .060, and MB .015. I expect that I will have to sand and maintain the surface to get the desired reaction on longer, heavier oil. But, gotta like the engine inside.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172788 - 11/05/12 09:25 AM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: Joe Bowler]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
PBA national tour guys throw stuff from whoever pays them, so I don't really take into account who is winning with what ball. But what I do look at is which manufacturer is showing up most often, and which ones aren't. I realize there are smaller and newer manufacturers, such as DV8, Motiv, MoRich, Global 900, etc., but if you are looking at the big players, Columbia is almost nonexistent. For years, Chris Barnes was the only successful touring player throwing Columbia, and if it weren't for him, they might be completely out of business. They can't survive on White Dot sales any more.
Personally, the last Columbia balls I threw came from the Boss, Rage, and Messenger lines, which go back a looooong way. Nothing from them since then has really interested me. Maybe I've missed some good ones?

Bowl up a Storm!

#172790 - 11/05/12 09:51 AM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

It's true about the pros. I have often wondered how many titles were won/lost as a result of having to stick with one manufacturer.

Personally, I had a Columbia Resurgence. It was okay as a heavy oil ball until it absorbed all the oil it could handle...usually about 3 games worth...which was a disadvantage in most 4-6 game tournaments. I liked the Columbia Momentum better. It was pearlized, did not absorb oil as quickly, and was a smooth arcing ball. It was above average in oil when sanded and dependable on sport patterns. Then came the Roto Grip Cell which sold me on Roto for a while, then other manufacturers, making the Momentum my last Columbia ball for years until trying the Omen. It might be a few years more till the next one.

#172819 - 11/05/12 11:49 PM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: Joe Bowler]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Joe, haven't you been throwing a lot of Brunswick lately? Their super covers are leaps and bounds beyond anything Columbia and EBI has available. Not shocked by what you found.

How is it on medium oil?

#172830 - 11/06/12 06:09 AM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: B-Hammer]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
Joe, haven't you been throwing a lot of Brunswick lately? Their super covers are leaps and bounds beyond anything Columbia and EBI has available. Not shocked by what you found. How is it on medium oil?

I try to use whatever works best. I love the Brunswick VersaMax. It's the first ball out of my bag and works great on medium oil. I also love the Storm Natural Pearl for shorter, lighter oil. What I have been having trouble finding is a ball with the right core/cover combination for longer, heavier oil. I have been using test results for stroker in BTM as a guide. I like to think of it as a competition for a spot in my bag. The new ball has to beat the current ball, or it does not make it into the bag.

First, I tried the Storm Nano Pearl. For me, it was hard to control and hit like a marshmallow. Then, I tried the Brunswick Nexxus f(P+R). It was good, but not better than my Ogre Particle. I watched for the BTM review on the Brunswick Nexxxus and was disappointed with the entry angle specs on their heavy pattern for stroker, so I decided to pass. The same applies for recent releases from other manufacturers. The next ball I tried was the Omen, and that was also a disappointment. The Brunswick Aura is on its way, and I will be watching for reviews on that, too.

One of the first things I do with a new ball is sand it to 500/1000/2000/4000/polish, then compare it with my other equipment. That shows me the true chemical friction of the coverstock material. That's where the Ogre Particle shines. The friction is built into the coverstock material, and it has no wrap around the core, so it is almost 16 pounds of particle resin. At 4000/polished, the cover still feels rougher to the touch than other balls sanded 500/dull. Unfortunately, it has a weak core, like a VW bus engine in a Hummer body.

In the meantime, I have been bowling tournaments almost every weekend, and have had some near misses (6 pins, 20 pins, etc.) on shots where I needed to use my heavy oil ball. So, I am motivated to find a ball that works better than my Ogre Particle as soon as possible. I have become resigned to the fact that I will likely have to rough sand and maintain the cover on that ball, so I have shifted my attention to finding the right core. The Motiv Raptor P7 core has just the right specs, and hopefully, I can tune the cover to get the desired reaction. That's the next test.

As a backup plan, I also ordered a second VersaMax. If all else fails, I will keep one at 4000/polished and one at 500/dull. In my testing all of the above balls, the VersaMax cover had the quickest response to friction. I am thinking if I give it some teeth by taking the cover to 500, it might make a good heavy oil ball, too.

#172832 - 11/06/12 06:47 AM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: Joe Bowler]
mail777 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/turkey
You must have a big house to keep these balls smile
So what do you if the balls you ordered is not for you. For exp omen..
and how many balls you take to league??

And how you find time and isnt it too tired to throw 16lb like that often a week?

#172839 - 11/06/12 09:59 AM Re: Columbia Omen [Re: mail777]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: mail777
You must have a big house to keep these balls smile
So what do you if the balls you ordered is not for you. For exp omen..
and how many balls you take to league?? And how you find time and isnt it too tired to throw 16lb like that often a week?

Actually, I recently got rid of a bunch of balls. I only want to carry 4 balls to leagues and tournaments. But, it is important that they be the right balls. I am currently happy with 3 of those 4 balls. They are listed below - VersaMax, Natural Pearl, High Skore Pro. The ones that don't make the cut usually wind up at Salvation Army.

I don't have any trouble handling 16 lbs, so I have stuck with it. I think it actually helps me relax and swing the ball rather than muscling it. In 6 game or more tournaments, I seem to get stronger with each game bowled while the guys cranking the ball get tired. For a while, due to work and other stuff, I had to cut back to just bowling one league a week. Lately, I have been trying to get in a practice session each week, plus a busy local tournament schedule this time of year. If I had the time, I would practice an hour a day, then hit the gym for stretching, light weights, and cardio training.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.