BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172663 - 11/01/12 10:40 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
...I have come to the conclusion that certain balls maximize their performance with different releases. ...

Me too. I like to say "that's the way this ball wants to be thrown."

Dunno squat about drilling or the specs of my various balls, but I can say this - with my current release, my old Monster and RotoGrip Epic Quest are relegated to the garage. Sadly.... Even Rodney struggles with this release on all but 90* axis angle.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172665 - 11/01/12 11:33 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Which might make a good thing for reviews (I'm kinda hinting at Sk8t here. . .)

All of the review videos I've seen only show one release style. . . it would make for really interesting and VERY beneficial discussion to see what kind of ball benefits from a suitcase, from a straight-up-the-back, from a pro-release, etc. etc. etc.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#172671 - 11/01/12 12:40 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Actualy, I was referring to another thread where Joe was talking about a 7-9 degree entry angle. IMO, the ball will only do that with extreme side rotation at release, and a high flare ball to begin with. A low flaring ball would slide longer and may not recover. So, the release matches the flare, in Joe's case. I would tend to think if Joe stayed more behind the ball, the ball may flatten at the turn.

Let me clarify. The 7-9 degree entry angle was Digitrax analysis of a cranker rolling the Brunswick Nexxxus, not me or any ball that I own. I am happy when I can get 6 degrees entry angle.

Now, if high axis rotation increases entry angle, and high flaring balls increase entry angle, then they do not necessarily go together. The bowler with less axis rotation is more likely to need the high flaring ball to increase entry angle. That's why I have different balls that range from 4 to 5 inches track flare. Make sense?

Also, axis rotation is something that I adjust as I move on the lane. The more outside, the less axis rotation, and less flaring ball. The more inside, the more axis rotation, and higher flaring ball. Next time I video, I will try to get some footage playing straight up 3 board. I might have to use my spare ball, though, because the times I am able to open bowl the lanes are usually dry.

Lastly, I have found it best to keep my equipment polished, and go through all the grits, 500/1000/2000/4000 to ensure the surface is smooth. When there is an issue, it is not usually getting the ball to come back (i.e. requiring more flare). It is getting it down the lane before it makes it's move.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#172673 - 11/01/12 12:57 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
All of the review videos I've seen only show one release style. . . it would make for really interesting and VERY beneficial discussion to see what kind of ball benefits from a suitcase, from a straight-up-the-back, from a Pro Release, etc. etc. etc.

I've seen some ball videos with different style bowlers such as stroker, tweener...etc playing different lines on a THS. When deciding on a ball they're the best ones to watch. It would be interesting to expand on those videos and show drastically different releases such as full-roller, cranker...
even though there's many other variables involved.

I think the lanes are the biggest factor concerning release match-up. As an example, where I bowl the lanes are usually blocked-up to favor more of a suitcase or directly up the back type of release from the outside corner. Other styles can certainly score well, but they require more strategy.

Edited by VFF57 (11/01/12 01:00 PM)
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#172676 - 11/01/12 01:34 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: 10PinGaloot]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
If you have to make changes, I'd recommend you study PDW. His shot comes closest to yours.

Great advice, thanks. I will definitely do that. I have always admired his bowling style (if not his personality).

#172677 - 11/01/12 03:16 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
There is a new tern, to me at least, that I read in Brunswick literature regarding their newer lines of balls. The term is ANGULAR VELOCITY. It is defined as an increase in the speed of the ball as it turns, making the ball more angular, and is dependent on a high axis of rotation and a high flaring ball.

To achieve this, the ball is to be released with side rotation, where the fingers pull through the ball vertically rather then forward through the ball, as I was explained by a Brunswick Staffer. this maximizes the flare and entry angle at impact. And, matches a high flare ball.

I bowled today with that staffer and he demonstrated this technique. With fingers behind and under the ball, the ball made an angular turn and flattened at the pocket impact. As he increased the release angle, his fingers no longer went through the bal , but came up, imparting close to 90 degree rotation. The ball used got length, then made a radical turn. The difference was dramatic. He used the Nexxxus. It worked less with the new Meanstreet he was testing. He explained the Nexxxus is a high flare, asymemtrical ball, while the Meanstreet had a symmetrical core.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#172678 - 11/01/12 04:53 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

If I understand correctly, Angular Velocity is simply a measurement of how fast something is turning. Bowlers refer to that as revolutions per minute, RPMs, or simply revs. From a bowling ball dynamics perspective, revs (Angular Velocity) has more to do with having a low Radius of Gyration (RG), than high Differential or high flare potential.

For example, Brunswick is advertising the new Aura as having the highest "Angular Velocity" of any Brunswick ball. The core is described as the "Aura Ultra Low RG Core", at 2.48. I could be wrong, but I don't think it has anything to do with the ball's flare potential, with the Diff at .052. Mostly, I think it is just sales talk for saying the ball revs up quick.

#172679 - 11/01/12 05:03 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Every rotating object has angular velocity.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#172686 - 11/01/12 08:13 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
Joe, as somewhat of a perfectionist I understand your competitive nature, but you already have a high average, 9 300s, etc. So I am wondering what you hope to accomplish with the videos. I would find it difficult to change as I'm not sure the upside would be all that great and the downside could produce a real negative. Just a thought.

Hugh

Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#172689 - 11/01/12 10:18 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: HughScot]
Joe Bowler Offline

Quote:
So I am wondering what you hope to accomplish with the videos.

In brief, my goal is to take my game to the next level. I still enjoy bowling competitive leagues and tournaments, and naturally like to win/cash as much as the next guy.

Since I returned to bowling in 2007, my focus has been on learning as much as I could about equipment, not so much remembering the details of specific balls, but learning general principles (surface, core, layouts, etc.) and how it applied to my game.

On the other hand, I did not give my form much thought. How I bowl today is largely the result of practicing an hour a day years ago. I never had a coach. It was always by feel. I was fortunate to pick up bowling quickly, averaging 195 in my first league back in the hard rubber ball days. I suppose I was successful storing some of that in muscle memory. But, I am sure there are things I can do today to improve my form with feedback from the video camera and other's input.

Once I start tinkering with things, I figure that my scores and averages are likely to get worse before they get better. That is part of the process. But, I have successfully made major changes in the past, such as going from 5 steps to 4 steps. With 5 steps, my backswing used to go way over my head, and I threw the ball much harder. I had to keep the thumb tape extra tight just so I could hold onto the ball. In the end, I realized I did not need all that to score, and found 4 steps easier to repeat.

My philosophy today revolves around keeping it simple, stripping away the unessentials, economy of motion, balance, leverage, making good shots, and repeating them. Whatever might help me do that better, I am all ears.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 1 second ago
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.