BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172611 - 10/31/12 08:46 AM Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
First, apologies concerning the video quality. This was my first attempt at capturing and posting a video. After shooting it, I learned how to adjust the frame rate from 30 to 60 for smoother slow motion. Also, I know that I needed more distance on the side shot. The counter guy was not helpful setting me up between kids bumper bowling. Next time, I will go to a different bowling center.

Second, I am aware that I turn my wrist inwards in my backswing. When I saw that, my immediate reaction was that I have to fix it. I am gathering opinions about that in another thread. Also, my knee bend is limited. That is the result of carrying a "few" extra pounds. Anyway, here goes. Please let me know what else you see.

House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172625 - 10/31/12 04:08 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I now see why you prefer high flaring balls. Your hand turns outside of the ball at the bottom of the downswing. You roll with close to a 90 degree side rotation.

Otherwise, I like your pushoff step, slide and extension.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#172628 - 10/31/12 05:43 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Dennis Michael]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
Other than the obvious "early turn"ing the only thing that jumps me is your last step before the slide. You step into your swing.

This doesn't seem to hurt you though since you have wonderful spine tilt which you hold perfectly thoughout your approach.

#172632 - 10/31/12 09:06 PM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
I am aware that I turn my wrist inwards in my backswing

Yeah I see that too, but you do recover from it at the bottom of your swing. The negative of turning inward as you know is it kills some wrist revs as opposed to turning outwards (working the inside of the ball). I know my wrist teeters inward some in my backswing as well. Starting the ball with my wrist cocked so my thumb is at 3:00 (righty) counteracts the inward wrist turn when I feel it happening. Your hand does come around the ball quite a bit for a lot of side rotation and you manage to keep your hand from turning over which is a good thing.

Overall looks good Joe. Nice and smooth with good balance at the line.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#172643 - 11/01/12 12:15 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Thanks for all the comments. I am curious enough to experiment with trying to stay behind the ball the entire delivery to the point of release. I am just not sure I can do it without shortening my backswing or opening my shoulder. Will post again in a few weeks...

#172650 - 11/01/12 06:13 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I now see why you prefer high flaring balls. Your hand turns outside of the ball at the bottom of the downswing. You roll with close to a 90 degree side rotation.

Dennis, I am missing the connection between high flaring balls and 90 degree side rotation. Would you please explain? Right now, I don't have anything in my arsenal that flares more than 5 inches. Ideally, the Ogre Particle (heavier, longer oil) would flare 6 inches but falls short, the Versa Max flares 5 inches (medium, benchmark ball), the Natural Pearl (lighter, shorter oil) flares 4 inches, and my High Skore Pro (spare ball) less than 1 inch. That seems pretty normal to me.

#172651 - 11/01/12 06:19 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
He probably means, that a high flaring ball tends to read the lane sooner/better than low flaring balls and a high axis rotation tends to skid much further.

So by purchasing high flaring balls you counteract the problem of your ball not coming back you otherwise might have.

#172655 - 11/01/12 08:02 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
He probably means, that a high flaring ball tends to read the lane sooner/better than low flaring balls and a high axis rotation tends to skid much further.

Yep I agree. Staying behind the ball will lower your axis rotation causing all your equipment to hook a little sooner.
I have first hand experience with this one.

Quote:
. I am curious enough to experiment with trying to stay behind the ball the entire delivery to the point of release.

The next best thing to that is to get the wrist/arm into a firm desired position just before the bottom of the swing. If your wrist teeters a little at the top of the swing it shouldn't matter much as long as you can consistently recover before the bottom. If you're working the inside of the ball then it would matter.

Be careful what you wish for Joe. smile My game changed quite a bit this year after learning how to stay behind the ball much better. I'm affected more by dry lanes and had to get comfortable playing more out-and-in. My average took a dip but I'm starting to recover.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#172656 - 11/01/12 08:42 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: VFF57]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: VFF57
Be careful what you wish for Joe. smile

I agree. Don't mess with success. You have 9 300's. I could live 9 lives and not have a single 300.

If you have to make changes, I'd recommend you study PDW. His shot comes closest to yours. Of course, to do his shot you'd have to lose the wrist brace....

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#172657 - 11/01/12 08:56 AM Re: Joe Bowler - 10/30/2012 [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Actualy, I was referring to another thread where Joe was talking about a 7-9 degree entry angle. IMO, the ball will only do that with extreme side rotation at release, and a high flare ball to begin with. A low flaring ball would slide longer and may not recover. So, the release matches the flare, in Joe's case.

I would tend to think if Joe stayed more behind the ball, the ball may flatten at the turn.

I have come to the conclusion that certain balls maximize their performance with different releases. And, many bowlers don't see the full effect of a ball by using the wrong release. The degree of rotation of the hand has an impact on the ball rotation and flare potential.

I won't make a judgement as to which side rotation is better. I would just suggest to stick with one method and don't deviate. That would limit the types of balls that a bowler can use to a less confusing decision.

I have settled on a specific core type and the ball RG and diff as my decision criteria for a new ball.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Storm Parallax Video Review - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:34 AM
Storm Axiom Video - sk8sbowlingreviews
by sk8shorty01 - 08/23/20 01:30 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.