BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172407 - 10/24/12 01:10 AM Help a very green bowler!
IrideWoods Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: N Pittsburgh
Hi Everyone! I am a very novice bowler but really enjoying the challenge! I want to apologize upfront about the video not being my whole body. I had a friend take this really quickly today with this site in mind, but I hadn't yet watched the tutorial video.

I know this is really pretty rough, but I was hoping someone could pick out some of the biggest problems that I could work on! I've been trying feverishly to get a hook, but with little success.

Anyhow any advice is appreciated!
If it matters ball is 15lb C-System Alphamax

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172409 - 10/24/12 02:03 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
At release I would try to get my hips down with knee bend on slide leg instead of your straight stiff slide leg with forward back lean.

Right now your steps look fairly good as far as no drifting. Don't let anyone tell you to get the ball closer to your slide foot to get more leverage. In my experience, you will learn wrongly to walk into your swing to accomplish it. You will spend years unlearning that into the swing drift. When you get your back lean right, open shoulder angle right, and free swing working for you, the leveraged ball position with take care of itself. Just saying.

~John

#172410 - 10/24/12 03:03 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I recommend learning how to get some knee continuation and learn how to post your shot (both feet on the ground).

You turn your hand early and too much try to let the ball roll off your fingers instead of trying to twist the ball like a top.

#172419 - 10/24/12 12:25 PM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
IrideWoods Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks. I worked this morning on my balance and knee continuation. Hopefully I will get another video by the end of the week. What seems to be frustrating me the most though, is that I really can't get much of any back end movement - or anywhere for that matter. If I slow wayyyyyy down and use a 4 step approach, I get pretty good movement easily noticeable on back end, but not very good action. Do you have any suggestions?? Is it something with my ball? Or just my poor technique?

Edited by IrideWoods (10/24/12 12:26 PM)

#172420 - 10/24/12 02:00 PM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: B-Hammer]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
Originally Posted By: B-Hammer
You turn your hand early and too much try to let the ball roll off your fingers instead of trying to twist the ball like a top.
B Hammer is right. Spinning like a top does nothing to create hook.
Try this experiment at home. Hold the ball with a firm wrist, then tip it until it falls off the thumb. Notice that it doesn't just drop straight down, but actually rolls off the fingers. This roll is all you need to create hook.
Once you have a nice hook, you can tweak it to get various hooks and revs.
Read everything by Slowinski.

Also, under Physical/Mental Game & Lane Conditions there is a thread about axis rotation and axis tilt.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#172429 - 10/25/12 12:45 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: IrideWoods
Or just my poor technique?

Technique, you haven't developed a proper release yet and with your finish position you have zero leverage, all you are doing now is dropping the ball on the lane and spinning it with your fingers.

Proper Release

Finish Position

#172452 - 10/26/12 01:34 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
IrideWoods Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for the help! I was able to practice yesterday and toady some. I enjoyed the slowinski foul line drill.. That really helped me. Thank you B-Hammer also. I'm getting some reaction now. I think I might be releasing too early. Now if i could just get a few more revs. My only strikes seem to be brooklyn frown I included a video from this morning.

#172453 - 10/26/12 02:49 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
vgnano420 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/mi
Looks to me like your just not throwing it out right enough. You won't get much of a reaction if you throw down the middle of the lane. I would chill on the speed and try playing around 10 at the arrows. When I first started to learn I would throw straight up 5 cause I didn't have too many revs.

If Bowling is a Sport, I'm an Athlete!

#172525 - 10/28/12 09:40 PM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: vgnano420]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: vgnano420
Looks to me like your just not throwing it out right enough. You won't get much of a reaction if you throw down the middle of the lane. I would chill on the speed and try playing around 10 at the arrows. When I first started to learn I would throw straight up 5 cause I didn't have too many revs.

I agree here, and I will also say that it simply looks like you are working way to hard to try to create that ball motion instead of letting it happen.

I don't claim to be the best bowler on the planet, or have perfect form but I was in your same shoes about 6 years ago and worked to free everything up. Notice the difference in your arm swing as you come to release as compared to my own:

Also, this is the shot layout you want for your critique videos, I know you say you didn't get to read the tutorial first but just so you have an idea of what we are looking for.

Good luck and keep working, it is well worth it!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#172935 - 11/10/12 09:29 AM Re: Help a very green bowler! [Re: IrideWoods]
jmaul99 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 39/m/Marietta GA
I would highly recommend finding a good coach in your area and take a lesson before you develop to many bad habits. A good coach will usually charge around $45 for a lesson, but this is money well spent. If you think about it is only the cost of 3 nights of league. Just get some names of coaches in your area from fellow bowlers or off the internet. If you do decide to take a lesson make sure the coach tapes you bowling if a coach isn't using this technology he/she is probably not a good coach.
I have been back bowling for 4 years after bowling 8 and then taking 9 years off and took my 1st lesson last Monday. I'm a 200+ average bowler and was amazed at how many bad habits I have developed. Get a coach now before your bad habits get trained into muscle memory.

In the bag:
912T
300A
VG Nano
Roto Grip Disturbed
In the trunk:
706A

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.