BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172080 - 10/13/12 10:06 AM What does this say?
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I bowl in 2 very competitive leagues at a local Brunswick Center. A month ago, the Manager announced that Brunswick was interested in developing a Scratch Travel League among its 10 Centers around our area. Some of these Centers are 40 miles apart, and the event was to be held every Sunday morning at 9 am at rotation of Centers on a schedule.

After repeated announcements and pleas from the Manager, there were NO takers. It was not for the lack of decent bowlers, but for many other reasons.

Most of the negative comments were regarding the driving distances, the Sunday morning time when a lot had Religious commitments, and the fact that bowlers would represent theirown Center, but have to pay a weekly fee.

Back when I was an ABC member, in the late 60's and early 70's, we had travel scratch leagues and teams. But, these teams were sponsored by your local center. The Center paid for all fees, gave us a Center Bowling shirt, and even arranged for transportation (local auto dealers donated a service car to use with their name on it). It was on Sunday afternoons, not the mornings. It was competitive and fun.

We also had a Chicago Classic League that did the same thing and traveled around different centers on Thursday evenings. That was a local event as the Centers would sell admission to watchers just to come in and view some pretty good bowlers.

But, with today's economy, it's difficult to ask a bowler to drive 80 miles round trip and pay hisown fees to represent a Center.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#172086 - 10/13/12 11:56 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
The 40 mile radius, and the start time is what killed the league. If they limited the league to the centers within ten miles of the central hub, there would probably be a league. If I have to wake up on Sunday morning, and leave the house before 8am, and drive through 40 miles of Chicago traffic, or an toll roads, or whatever other hassle, just to get to league on on time...I'll pass.

Bump that league to 1 in the afternoon, and shorten the radius, and there will be a league. Corporate Brunswick probably doesn't want to exclude their centers on the outskirts of the city/association, and that's what will keep the whole thing from happening.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#172088 - 10/13/12 01:17 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Bad time, bad economy, and high gas prices.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#172092 - 10/13/12 04:02 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
I don't see the distance being that big of a deal. I was on a travel league and we went from Waterloo Ia to leroy Mn. Most of the centers we bowled against were easily 40+ miles away but it was on saterday nights. The time slot is the problem (I think).

Being on this league is a honor, not a gift. I have no problem representing my center and expect no special favors (maybe i'm in the minority with this view), but some perk would be a plus.

The thing i didn't like about travel leagues is that you arrive at a center and its you against them. No other teams, no league atmosphere, just H2H. I would've enjoyed it more if it was a LEAGUE and All teams bowled at the same center at the same time. Just rotate the location and let the league bowl and enjoy who is in the league.

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#172094 - 10/13/12 05:36 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Location would make the difference in distance to me. I grew up in small towns in Indiana and Arizona, and traveling 40 miles isn't a big deal. 40 miles that includes any real distance through a city on the other hand, would be a deal breaker for me. Tucson is a pretty small city, but for me, much more than about three miles in any direction is a distance I don't want to travel. Stop lights, traffic, etc really make a small travel an adventure. But I HATE cities, so maybe that's just me.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#172109 - 10/14/12 10:52 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
I drive 100 miles round-trip every Sunday to bowl in my old hometown. I don't think that should be an issue. Especially if everyone can meet at the local alley and travel together in a van or some big vehicle.

The other stuff is the real issue - the lack of a multi-team league, and the lack of support for representing your bowling alley.

What you get from a traveling league is the great experience of learning to adjust to varying conditions. That pays dividends when it comes to bowling in tournaments.

"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

#172113 - 10/14/12 05:50 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Too many one-house bowlers around here to make a travel league successful. Not enough guys here feel like they can score at a different center, but will blame the distance, the time slot, or something about the format. The economy and gas prices are the only reasons that I wouldn't question.

Bowl up a Storm!

#172141 - 10/15/12 11:50 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Sunday's and bowling, out of the question for me. Fall/Winter, give me football, and the occasional Church attendance. Spring/Summer, fishing, camping, and also the occasional Church attendance. I quit my Saturday league because I like to keep my weekends free. A travel league would probably be out of the question during the week, as the Denver metro area is a nightmare for traffic lol...
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#172154 - 10/15/12 08:07 PM Re: What does this say? [Re: AmpleSound]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 18/M/Ohio
I am on a travel league team, we pay our own fees and 2 houses are more then 50 miles from our home house. The league is at 11:00 am and we have 12 teams a few of the houses like mine have 2 teams in the league.

But its youth league and not much city driving so that might be why it's so successful.

#172168 - 10/16/12 08:36 AM Re: What does this say? [Re: Dennis Michael]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
The Center paid for all fees, gave us a Center bowling shirt, and even arranged for transportation (local auto dealers donated a service car to use with their name on it). It was on Sunday afternoons, not the mornings.

Under these arrangements I would join in a heartbeat. Nowadays, It appears bowling is just a business to most Centers and viewed as a recreation to the public and not a sport. If bowling was perceived as a sport as in the past then local businesses including the Center would be much more inclined to sponsor these types of events. This mindset rolls down to league bowlers and they start feeling like the travel league is just another way for the Centers to make money being that everything is out of pocket. Couple this with a high cost of living and personal sacrifices the outcome is a small percent of takers.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - Today at 01:46 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by LindaDelcamp - 11/27/19 03:24 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.