BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171706 - 10/02/12 05:54 PM First bowling vid
Oriley Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/m/WV
Hello all,
I have been bowling for about 1 year now (9 months really as i broke my middle finger in Feb. and was out for 3 months). Here is all I have to show for my efforts thus far, which is not much I know. I am completely self taught with there being no coaches in my area. I'm sure you can see in the video that I have been struggling with high axis tilt and I really can't seem to figure this issue out.
I have included two links to the same video with one being in slow motion. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, from any of the coaches.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#171712 - 10/03/12 01:11 AM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
There is a lot of good going on there, and I'm not sure you really have a tilt problem, have you had it measured?

It would help the coaches allot if you can get a side view so they can check your timing.

#171727 - 10/03/12 12:02 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Quick Tip before I break down your video:

Take off the "video" tags before and after the link and it will embed itself automatically after a couple minutes. Just a heads up.

Now, onto the video:

Notice when your swing starts, the ball should be moving in your second step. As your right foot hits the floor the ball should be off of your left hand and into your swing. Right now your right foot compresses to the floor and the ball hasn't started moving yet. So as of right now your timing is an entire step late, you still look smooth but it is definitely late. Another key in your timing to check if your in time is your next right foot step (4), the ball should be at the top of the swing. Right now your right foot comes down (step 4) and the ball is still traveling up towards the top of your swing.

That is the first thing I would change, simply because I think it will make you more consistent in your speed, targeting and ball reaction. You look like you have a really good foundation built, your solid throughout your approach and you have a lot of potential if you keep working how you obviously have been. Keep up the good work and modify your timing a little, like I mentioned above, and you will be that much better!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#171736 - 10/03/12 04:50 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You get to hte line way before the ball, so you have a tendancy to pull it down to catch up. Start your push off earlier, on the second step, right foot.

but, you look solid at the line, no falling off. That's good.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#171743 - 10/03/12 11:15 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
Oriley Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 29/m/WV
Thanks so much guys for taking the time to give your opinions. I really appreciate it. I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the feedback was positive.

I definitely need to work on my timing. I have noticed in the past that I drop the ball late into the swing, but I have not seen how much this affected the rest of my shot until Sk8 pointed out where the ball was on my 4th step. Looks like I may be pulling the ball down a bit.

As far as my axis tilt goes, I unfortunately have not had it measured but I can tell you the ball tracks up to 3 inches or more away from my thumb hole. I wish you could see the ball reaction better in the video, but the ball is just not rolling right and does not react downlane on many shots. I think my wrist at release did not look overly c0cked so could this possibly be a layout/ball fit problem?

thanks again for the help and encouragement.

#172742 - 11/03/12 02:27 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
HughScot Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 76/M/NC
Don't know if this will help but have you tried eliminating that first little step with your left foot? Try making your first step with the right foot. Just a thought.
Hammer Turbo Deep Purple 14#

#172743 - 11/03/12 03:30 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
I saw the same thing as Sk8, watch some video of Norm
Duke as an example. He gets that ball dropping DOWN as soon
as his left hand is off the ball.By the time the left step
starts, the ball is on its way to the top of the swing and reaches its peak on the right step. The rest of your delivery is very good.

#172744 - 11/03/12 04:19 PM Re: First bowling vid [Re: Oriley]
10PinGaloot Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 65/m/ Woodburn, OR
If you want to reduce the tilt, you can do any one of these things (these apply specifically to your release, as shown on this video):

* keep the same wrist action you have now, but flick the fingers downward to allow the ball to roll off the fingers as you release it (I call that "roll the dice")

* uncup the hand while turning it, then make a fist after the ball is out of the thumb but while it's still on the fingers. ( I call that "make a fist")

* keep the hand behind the ball more and drive through the release by accelerating the swing after the thumb is out. (I left this to last, because it requires more change to your release style)

I think the high tilt you have is because you're not letting the ball roll off your fingertips. Probably a result of the timing problems mentioned above.... So you might find that fixing the timing fixes the release smile
Any of the above should improve tilt while simply tweaking your release.
"I love the smell of lane conditioner in the morning!"
current avatar is Gabby Hayes. Looks a lot like me! smile

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - Yesterday at 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.