BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171622 - 10/01/12 10:41 AM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
I saw the lucid in use at the State Masters last weekend by a cranker, and by a stroker. The Lucid worked great for both of them, but the cranker seemed like he had to move several boards every other shot. It was producing such entry angle, and suckin up so much oil he'd go from mix, to flush, to stone 9 repeatedly.

It looked like a great piece, but without question its a condition and reaction specific ball. Just like the Nano, I anticipate seeing a lot of these in use in league, because its the newest greatest thing, and I anticipate seeing a lot of people frustrated that they can't use it, just like the Nano.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#171624 - 10/01/12 11:16 AM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 36/M/Adel, Iowa, USA
ya it is def a heavy oil ball for sure. I was able to throw it a bunch because we had a block of lanes for use in the demo day so i would just switch lanes to were there was still oil :-). but after an hour or so when they were burning up then i started to try some other equip out. But the Lucid was still the best. Not sure why but I hated the Vivid. Threw it right along side the Lucid and I could not get it to finish. It never hit the pocket with any force at all. Just was not a good match up for me I guess. I did also like the defiant edge. When the lucid started to eat up the mids i was able to throw the DE right over top of the lucids line and it worked well. Was also able to throw both IQ's Like the IQ but did not like the tour edition. They had the fire road and bizerk there as well did not throw the fireroad as i own it but the bizerk did well once the defiant edge burnt up and seemed to be a very close match to my fireroad. All in all I was there for about 3 hrs and thru countless shots and or games. Arm was a little sore last night but def worth it to try out all of those balls.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#171628 - 10/01/12 12:09 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I agree about the Lucid- I threw one the week before at a demo, and it was everything that it said it was supposed to be. Granted, it was on a house shot, and I got all 9 balls that I threw to work, but I liked the Lucid more as the shot broke down. Cleaner up front than the Vivid, stronger on the back. I got mine drilled yesterday, and will at least try it Wednesday night. I'm having a lot of success right now with my Anarchy, and hate to put it away when I know it's going to work, but I'm going to compare the two. I might need to grab some practice time in the next couple of days to see what it does for me.

Bowl up a Storm!

#171632 - 10/01/12 12:39 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Bowling This Month's review is now available for the Lucid. On their Oily-44' pattern, Stroker's entry angle was 3.86 degrees, Tweener 3.5 degrees, Cranker 5.8 degrees. Since I am primarily a stroker, and 6 degrees is considered the optimum entry angle, that means I'll pass.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#171633 - 10/01/12 12:40 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: slaterracing
ya it is def a heavy oil ball for sure. I was able to throw it a bunch because we had a block of lanes for use in the demo day so i would just switch lanes to were there was still oil :-). but after an hour or so when they were burning up then i started to try some other equip out. But the Lucid was still the best. Not sure why but I hated the Vivid. Threw it right along side the Lucid and I could not get it to finish. It never hit the pocket with any force at all. Just was not a good match up for me I guess. I did also like the defiant edge. When the lucid started to eat up the mids i was able to throw the DE right over top of the lucids line and it worked well. Was also able to throw both IQ's Like the IQ but did not like the tour edition. They had the fire road and bizerk there as well did not throw the fireroad as i own it but the bizerk did well once the defiant edge burnt up and seemed to be a very close match to my fireroad. All in all I was there for about 3 hrs and thru countless shots and or games. Arm was a little sore last night but def worth it to try out all of those balls.

What did you not like about the IQ Tour? I am surprised to read that because you are, literally, the first person I have heard that threw it that simply didn't like it. I am even talking to the point I had two Columbia 300 die-hards that will not throw anything else throw it at the Orlando Super Show and both have since ordered one.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#171640 - 10/01/12 01:17 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

Sk8, It never moved the way I wanted it to. I moved all over and could never get the entry angle right. When i did hit the pocket it was very weak and would leave 8s and 9s. I tried it on fresh shot and also one that was broken down some. Like all demo balls it was drill pin up and CG stacked which for me with my low track is normally a good spec and can get some backend but i had nothing with the tour. Now the IQ on the other hand worked well. I was as stong as the lucid but turned in a little sooner. did not get thru the heads as well which is why i like the lucid more.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#171664 - 10/01/12 08:30 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
lefty101 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Hawaii
Slate,
How does the Lucid compare to the Critical Theory..

#171668 - 10/01/12 10:09 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
slaterracing Offline

You know i was going to comment on that and forgot to. They r very close
The ball motion skid flip and driving power were right there. The lucid was just a little stronger. I hav my CT drill odd i am right handed but it has a left hand drill patter. I have a low track so moving the pin Cg and Rg over that far gives me more backend so when i thru the lucid defiant edge and vivid i thru the ones drilled left and the layout was the same as my CT so i cld match the reaction. And like i said the lucid was very close to the CT just a little stronger.
Storm Modern Marvel 15#
Storm FireRoad 15#
Storm Furious 15#
Storm Tropicl Breeze #15
Storm Black Ice #15
Turbo Switch Grip

#171709 - 10/02/12 08:15 PM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
There is a guy in my league who has a deal through a Pro Shop in the area for Storm equipment. He got the Lucid a few weeks ago (just like SK8 I am guessing). I think that his first series out of the box was 847. He can't say enough about it. If I end up going to Nationals, I may have to look into one.

#171717 - 10/03/12 08:50 AM Re: New Storm Release - Lucid [Re: slaterracing]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I threw my Lucid for a couple of games yesterday afternoon to see what I should expect from it, and I liked it. I threw my Anarchy as a benchmark, which is drilled the same way, but the surface is a little shinier (OOB with a very light 4000 buff to knock a little of the shine off). The Anarchy backended a little more than the Lucid with a slightly later break point, but that was mostly due to the surface. I'm going to throw it tonight, at least in practice, to see what it does on our league shot. I don't like judging a ball by an open play shot in the middle of the afternoon. The center where I bowl on Wednesdays normally has strong back ends, so it should be pretty strong there.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by djp1080 - 01/06/20 10:55 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.